Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

San Jose State Inks 4-Game Series With Stanford

On 6/22/2022 at 3:27 PM, Mike Morgan said:

Two at SJSU in 2025 and 203

Two at Stanford in 2026 and 2028

Football, Basketball, or Quidditch?

Either way, nice job.

I read this earlier today re the BYU cancel series with Stanford.  Fantastic pick up for San Jose with an even split of games.  Schedule Berkeley in there in the future and the three of ya'll can play for the Bay Area Cup (or local special moniker).  Why not?  Cal is very open 2026 forward.  San Jose will have to ditch some future low lying OOC fruit for this to happen. 

The Bay Area Cup.  Do it. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Berkeley doesn’t play the cal state schools very often. At least not after the 1990’s. So perhaps this could happen but there is not same history between Cal and SJ, as SJ has with Stanford. 

Right or Wrong I think Cal looks at themselves as the top of the food chain in Nor Cal and find more benefit playing other teams from farther away.

Awesome!  Chance to improve on the all time winning pct against Stanford (IIRC, 21%). The two schools have squared off probably 70 times over the years  

BTW, against Cal the winning pct drops to 17%. Cal probably won’t schedule them after getting thumped a few times by SDSU. They don’t want to risk losing again to another “Stinkin’ State” school (cr: David Barr, losing QB, UC Berkeley).

On 6/28/2022 at 1:03 PM, sancarlosaztec said:

Awesome!  Chance to improve on the all time winning pct against Stanford (IIRC, 21%). The two schools have squared off probably 70 times over the years  

BTW, against Cal the winning pct drops to 17%. Cal probably won’t schedule them after getting thumped a few times by SDSU. They don’t want to risk losing again to another “Stinkin’ State” school (cr: David Barr, losing QB, UC Berkeley).

Since 2010, we’ve beaten CAL 3 straight times including the opening of their new stadium. 

kat.jpg

I love it when schools schedule OOC games against local teams that are easy road trips for fans of both schools even if the game seemingly doesn't "benefit" them on paper. UNC is playing a home and home with App State in 2022/2023 and then with Charlotte in 2024/2025. UNC of course also used an OOC game against Wake Forest last year since the two schools were scheduled to go an extended time without playing one another in conference. It's unfortunate that more schools don't do this. (Utah and BYU, I'm looking at you.)

On 6/29/2022 at 2:03 PM, SAMO said:

honestly...great series to land...given the proximity of the 2, should be played every year...lol

I agree 100% even as a Stanford fan. I'd rather play an OOC game that is a short road trip so I can watch my team play one more time even if it is against a school in a "lower-tier" conference and it does not "benefit" Stanford to play the game. I think it is very unfortunate that most P5 schools prefer to buy home games against bad G5 schools from the other side of the country rather than play games against regional rivals. People say that college football attendance is declining because more games are on television, and that probably plays a big role. But discontinuing games against regional rivals in order to chase bigger TV checks is probably contributing as well.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:58 PM, StanfordAggie said:

I agree 100% even as a Stanford fan. I'd rather play an OOC game that is a short road trip so I can watch my team play one more time even if it is against a school in a "lower-tier" conference and it does not "benefit" Stanford to play the game. I think it is very unfortunate that most P5 schools prefer to buy home games against bad G5 schools from the other side of the country rather than play games against regional rivals. People say that college football attendance is declining because more games are on television, and that probably plays a big role. But discontinuing games against regional rivals in order to chase bigger TV checks is probably contributing as well.

i totally agree...i mean the schools cant be that far away from each other right? like 30 miles or something? And there's got to be a lot of overlap between people from the respective schools...it makes more sense to play each other than for Stanford to go schedule some I-AA school or something...lol

i totally agree to your bigger point too...its totally unfortunate that schools will "buy" games too....look at the inbreds up in gainesville at UiF as an example...as a longtime Canes fan, the fact that those hillbillies have dodged us since the 80s (with a few exceptions) is a travesty...especially when you consider the gayturds schedule is usually chockful of shitass teams like north texass...samford...or georgia southern (but they lost to one of those...lol). that's just one example among many. even the utes not playing the aggies each year is absurd IMO...lol

i hope someday the media/tv bubble totally bursts and we get a lot more of the old regionality back in college fb...and i agree regarding the continuing fall in interest/attendance too...nobody wants to pay hundreds of dollars to watch uncompetitive shitpieces of games...lol