Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

Pac 12 commish. 10 FBS conferences should leave the NCAA

College football should dump NCAA, according to Pac-12 commish - College Football HQ (si.com)

"And I’ve been surprised by the unanimous support for the idea among the folks that I’ve spoken to about taking football rule-making and football rule enforcement out of the NCAA and investing it in an organization that is run by the 10 (FBS) conferences.”

I'm surprised he said 10 and not 5.

In all honesty most of the G5 should drop down. The MWC for example has only 4 teams who average more than 30,000 attendence a game. Utah State had their best season ever and averaged around 22,000? If they expanded Maverick would they average 30,000 or more? Doubt it.

Take the 5 power conferences. Take the 16 best G5 teams based off success, support, facilities, and whatever else, put them in a coast to coast conference and move on. 6 conferences + Notre Dame. Get it done already.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:56 PM, Reverend said:

In all honesty most of the G5 should drop down. The MWC for example has only 4 teams who average more than 30,000 attendence a game. Utah State had their best season ever and averaged around 22,000? If they expanded Maverick would they average 30,000 or more? Doubt it.

Take the 5 power conferences. Take the 16 best G5 teams based off success, support, facilities, and whatever else, put them on a coast to coast conference and move on. 6 conferences + Notre Dame. Get it done already.

Not me.  Scheduling and 7 home games are important to the P5  If you ditch the FCS, and you would here, you still need some schools who want the paycheck.  Yet you still have to find a way to give those schools 6 home games.  

On 6/20/2022 at 7:56 PM, Reverend said:

Take the 5 power conferences. Take the 16 best G5 teams based off success, support, facilities, and whatever else, put them in a coast to coast conference and move on. 6 conferences + Notre Dame. Get it done already.

Of course a Boise state fan would be saying this

On 6/20/2022 at 7:03 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Of course a Boise state fan would be saying this

According to everyone here Boise State will never move up and Is the worst school in the MWC. PAC or Big 12 would take SJSU and New Mexico over a trucker school like Boise and their dumb blue rug.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

Too funny! That guy's predecessor, Larry Scott, came into the job like a bull in a china shop but once his big push to add half the B12 came to naught, he quietly left with his tail between his legs.

Now THIS guy seems to think the Pac 12 is God's gift to college football when it's actually diminished in quality to the point it's barely superior to the gutted Big 12. So maybe this guy whose last name nobody can pronounce should poach a few schools from another power conference before he starts acting like his is the cock on the walk.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:15 PM, soupslam1 said:

Who does the NCAA answer to? Isn’t it the member schools? Why not just streamline it? Who says if it is replaced it wont be just another bureaucratic administrative body. 

But there are small football schools in there, some not offering scholarships, and some basketball only D1 schools voting on issues that impact a sport they don't even sponsor.

On 6/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, Billings said:

College football should dump NCAA, according to Pac-12 commish - College Football HQ (si.com)

"And I’ve been surprised by the unanimous support for the idea among the folks that I’ve spoken to about taking football rule-making and football rule enforcement out of the NCAA and investing it in an organization that is run by the 10 (FBS) conferences.”

Going to 10 makes sense if your goal is to prevent  SEC/B1G hegemony.  Other than that, it doesn't.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 6/20/2022 at 5:08 PM, Billings said:

Not me.  Scheduling and 7 home games are important to the P5  If you ditch the FCS, and you would here, you still need some schools who want the paycheck.  Yet you still have to find a way to give those schools 6 home games.  

I mean there is a strategic  advantage to invite all 10 not just 5. Also the only real thing you are sacrificing is one playoff spot in football, as I am assuming if they do break off they will create at least an 8 team playoff and up to a 16 team playoff. The actual conferences can still negotiate there own tv contract. 

Benefits

-March madness. With 131 schools it is far easier to keep March madness going. Plus I am guessing they might invite the Big East as an Olympic only conference and grab a few other Olympic only schools (ie Gonzaga). 

-10 conferences equals enough to sponsor most sports and have postseason tournaments. You could do that with just 5 but it is in a much better spot with 10.

-Football/men's basketball body bag/home games. If only the top 5 conferences break off the NCAA might refuse to allow their members to play those school. Thus the top 5 conferences can only play each other. That equals a lot less inflated records. To me the prime example use to be Minnesota in football. They would also seem to get 4-0 in the OOC vs cupcakes and then only go 4-4 in conference. So they ended the season a decent 8-4. Well remove that cupcake OOC and Minnesota is suddenly 6-6 which looks a lot worse. 

On 6/20/2022 at 5:28 PM, Billings said:

I'm sure he meant the P5.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 6/20/2022 at 5:42 PM, Wyobraska said:

He should have said 8 conferences.  The MAC and CUSA should drop down.  

Conference strength changes all the time.

Do remember when the WAC was a B-Ball powerhouse ?

You certainly remember the MW of the 00's. Many felt that it was a better FB Conference than the ACC sans Florida State.

Americans Mayor

My understanding here is that this would be for football only. That makes sense. Other sports - even mens basketball - are still college sports. Football has become something else entirely. 

On 6/20/2022 at 5:56 PM, Reverend said:

Athletic programs move up and down all the time. It's the timing that matters.

Boise FB used to be a borderline elite/P5 level program. Now, they're just a good G5 squad.

How long ago was UCF a poster child for the Sisters of Mercy Conference ? They got good at the right time, just like Utah and TCU, and were able to grab the golden ring.

Americans Mayor

On 6/20/2022 at 6:08 PM, Billings said:

There's a hard reality I never considered. Some schools struggle to get five homies let alone 6. I know the NewMags have had a couple of four Homie seasons. They had to go home and home with some schools just to make that happen.

I get these smaller schools want to be in the FBS. But, if you have historically lacked the resources to be competitive at your level, how is moving up going to be any better ?

And it's not just Stadium size. There are enormous financial costs to support the number of mens and womens teams in the requisite number of sports. The Scholarships you have to provide at the FBS level is greater than at the FCS level. It's absolutely crazy what's required to "Compete" at the G5 level let alone the P5. You have to have full time recruiting staffs, not just the Assistant Coaches, combined with health, fitness, and training staffs. Educational personnel for tutoring, on-line mentoring etc. Cause these kids travel alot during the school year.

More stuff I can't even think of. So, if you're New Mexico State, FCS makes far more sense. There are loads of West Texas Schools you can play against and still get two paydays a year.

Americans Mayor

The P5 needs the G5 more than many want to admit. There are lots of fans of college football that will no longer watch games if their school is no longer part of the group. I don’t watch SEC football because I care about any of the schools, I watch it because it is on before MW football and they impact each other. Kick the MW out and I no longer watch SEC football. National viewership is important for $. 

They also need money games(scheduled at their homes) and the ability to pretend that this kind of move is not about the money. Plus there is no risk to dragging along the G5, no P5 conference is truly worried that tv will take money from them to give it to us.

On 6/20/2022 at 7:26 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Too funny! That guy's predecessor, Larry Scott, came into the job like a bull in a china shop but once his big push to add half the B12 came to naught, he quietly left with his tail between his legs.

Now THIS guy seems to think the Pac 12 is God's gift to college football when it's actually diminished in quality to the point it's barely superior to the gutted Big 12. So maybe this guy whose last name nobody can pronounce should poach a few schools from another power conference before he starts acting like his is the cock on the walk.

In this world, Big Talk works.

See Mike Aresco and Donald Trump.

Americans Mayor

On 6/20/2022 at 9:24 PM, SDSUfan said:

Going to 10 makes sense if your goal is to prevent  SEC/B1G hegemony.  Other than that, it doesn't.

I agree on the first statement.

On the second, he is keeping the G5 relevant by calling for 10.

Americans Mayor

On 6/21/2022 at 6:58 AM, thedude15 said:

I mean there is a strategic  advantage to invite all 10 not just 5. Also the only real thing you are sacrificing is one playoff spot in football, as I am assuming if they do break off they will create at least an 8 team playoff and up to a 16 team playoff. The actual conferences can still negotiate there own tv contract. 

Benefits

-March madness. With 131 schools it is far easier to keep March madness going. Plus I am guessing they might invite the Big East as an Olympic only conference and grab a few other Olympic only schools (ie Gonzaga). 

-10 conferences equals enough to sponsor most sports and have postseason tournaments. You could do that with just 5 but it is in a much better spot with 10.

-Football/men's basketball body bag/home games. If only the top 5 conferences break off the NCAA might refuse to allow their members to play those school. Thus the top 5 conferences can only play each other. That equals a lot less inflated records. To me the prime example use to be Minnesota in football. They would also seem to get 4-0 in the OOC vs cupcakes and then only go 4-4 in conference. So they ended the season a decent 8-4. Well remove that cupcake OOC and Minnesota is suddenly 6-6 which looks a lot worse. 

They will still get into Rotating Sponsor lower level Bowl Game. 

And, they still get their Socialized cut of of a Big10 Media and Bowl Rights Check they didn't earn.

That's all that matters.

Google Vanderbilt FB and BB history and tell me if they've carried their weight for the SEC.

Americans Mayor