Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Fading belief in fictional beings

On 6/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, renoskier said:

what!?

there will definitely be life after my death...just not for me :ph34r:

Meh, after god gets your final score he will simply click "yes" when prompted "Great game!  Would you like to play again?"

On 6/17/2022 at 8:20 PM, soupslam1 said:

Not surprising. Church going has also dropped off. No big deal as long as people still treat others with respect. Unfortunately that’s dropped way off also. 

Has it? I think that racism and homophobia are pretty "disrespectful" and those are well down since 60 years ago. 🤔

On 6/19/2022 at 8:28 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Morons who could not pass physics 101:  "science has replaced religion by answering the big questions"

Any actual physicists: "Bruh, we HAVE NO IDEA what the +++++ is going on" 

"what are you talking about answering big questions? we just answer a lot of little questions, sometimes in sequence, sometimes just... as it strikes our fancy"

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Isn’t the story of Jesus a mashup of stories from older religions? Thought I remember something like that from the Religulous movie. 

Ill gladly be wrong on this stuff but I think religion was originally created to control masses and now it’s used to make us feel better about dying. To each their own though, I wish I had faith it was real but it just seems a little too hopeful.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:54 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Isn’t the story of Jesus a mashup of stories from older religions? Thought I remember something like that from the Religulous movie. 

Bill Maher’s grasp on theology is akin to Trump’s grasp on reality.  

On 6/20/2022 at 3:00 PM, grandjean87 said:

Bill Maher’s grasp on theology is akin to Trump’s grasp on reality.  

I get it that was movie made for entertainment purposes.. But weren’t the stories in the Bible almost the exact same as ones told in older religions? Or was that made up, it’s been many years since I saw the movie.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:03 PM, IanforHeisman said:

I get it that was movie made for entertainment purposes.. But weren’t the stories in the Bible almost the exact same as ones told in older religions? Or was that made up, it’s been many years since I saw the movie.

What older religions?  Judaism is the known origin of pure monotheism.  It’s ancient and long an oral tradition, transmitted religion.  We don’t know much about any predating traditions (directly to Judaism).

Anyway, why would stories from earlier human experience, vision, and prophecy negate later ones?  It seems interpreting as confirmative is equally as valid. 

Here’s one example (before I head to the foothills).  In the Gospel of Matthew’s infancy narrative, the Maji visit the infant Jesus. A range of historical/theological  interpretations include the idea the Maji were Zoroastrian priests in which their religious tradition looked for a miraculous virgin birth.  No historical evidence that Christianity borrowed this prophecy (it well could be the reverse in latter Zoroastrianism), but the Maji’s visitation seem more theologically confirmative in interpretation.

In other words, Christian (or other theology) is not invalidated by a prior, parallel world view, prophecy, or vision.   One last example — the whole Prologue of the Gospel of John revolves around a concept stemming from Greek philosophy.  That doesn’t mean the author just stole Greek ideas, it means the language used to conceive of and communicate theology borrows from earlier tradition/thought.   I can’t imagine it would be any other way. 

Yeah you guys are just smarter than me, I’m more of a surface guy while you guys are in depth on these kinda topics. Well most topics. But I just find most religious stuff hard to believe, especially in todays time where it’s a for profit industry. 

But ignorance is bliss they say.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:52 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Yeah you guys are just smarter than me, I’m more of a surface guy while you guys are in depth on these kinda topics. Well most topics. But I just find most religious stuff hard to believe, especially in todays time where it’s a for profit industry. 

200.gif

On 6/20/2022 at 3:52 PM, IanforHeisman said:

I find a lot of religious stuff hard to believe, too. On top of that, I have plenty of questions.  Doubt and faith are not mutually exclusive.  Sometime, maybe a real apologetics thread? 

On 6/20/2022 at 3:03 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Religion has existed for over 100,000 years.  It exists in every society and culture in history.  There is no exception to this.  Religion predates the need for top down social control in agrarian societies by tens by over 80,000 years.

Smarter people than us have written at length on the theory that without religion, we would still be in the stone age.  

To go even further, spirituality was an essential component of human development and evolution.  

On 6/20/2022 at 9:00 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Religion has existed for over 100,000 years.  It exists in every society and culture in history.  There is no exception to this.

Smarter people than us have written at length on the theory that without religion, we would still be in the stone age.  

To go even further, spirituality was an essential component of human development and evolution.  

Cant be.

Earth is only 6000 years old.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

On 6/20/2022 at 9:05 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You've been funny lately.  

Waddya mean 'lately'?😡

On 6/20/2022 at 7:26 PM, grandjean87 said:

I find a lot of religious stuff hard to believe, too. On top of that, I have plenty of questions.  Doubt and faith are not mutually exclusive.  Sometime, maybe a real apologetics thread? 

Faith by it's nature is not possible without doubt.  

On 6/20/2022 at 9:06 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yer leaving Kellen Moore, finger steaks, and fry sauce alone.

I am a compassionate man as well as funny.

I'm a Christian and attend a non-denominational church that continues to grow. They have three services to choose from on Sunday (8 am, 10 am & 6 pm). And there are two Bible studies on Wednesday (4 pm & 6:30 pm). And on Saturdays they operate a food pantry from 8 am to Noon at no charge to those in need. They've been so successful that they started a second campus late last year in a neighboring city and it's doing very well too. Fading belief? Not where I live. 🙂

On 6/19/2022 at 6:28 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Morons who could not pass physics 101:  "science has replaced religion by answering the big questions"

Any actual physicists: "Bruh, we HAVE NO IDEA what the +++++ is going on" 

Apparently to most physicists today, space/time is no longer adequate and completely over as the lone explanatory interface of why things work like they do. No idea, indeed....

On 6/24/2022 at 12:33 PM, And? said:

Apparently to most physicists today, space/time is no longer adequate and completely over as the lone explanatory interface of why things work like they do. No idea, indeed....

Dude, it’s impossible for you to know that!!! Science this, science that! What do we really know about science? We won’t have real answers until we talk to the aliens. If an alien can move a tic tic around like that in the air and under water, than it might have some very interesting info about God. 

kat.jpg