Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Claude G

Utah Tech

On 6/13/2022 at 10:43 PM, Claude G said:

Is this a joke?  How many D1 schools are there now in the Beehive State?

Eh.  FCS for football.  St. George and Utah are growing like crazy though.  Not surprising really.  It seems everyone is moving up these days.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:04 AM, Lester_in_reno said:

Wonder why?

Lots of people here in Utah were upset with that " politically correct" decision.

16552231259114325214151025990532.jpg.ff4d6e311f59741a6063b35f2426e678.jpg

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 6/14/2022 at 9:10 AM, Spaztecs said:

Lots of people here in Utah were uoset with that " politically correct" decision

"Dixie" was a really stupid name in the first place. Wonder why the university founders ever came up with it?

edit: okay, nevermind...it definitely had to go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_(Utah)

It was almost imperative to change the name given the university’s ambition to continue expanding and need to draw students from across the country to achieve that growth.  Even setting aside the old name’s problematic associations, there was the simple problem that outside Utah almost anyone hearing “Dixie” assumed the university was located in the Southeast.

Given the school’s polytechnic focus, I think Utah Tech was a great choice.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:29 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

It was almost imperative to change the name given the university’s ambition to continue expanding and need to draw students from across the country to achieve that growth.  Even setting aside the old name’s problematic associations, there was the simple problem that outside Utah almost anyone hearing “Dixie” assumed the university was located in the Southeast.

Given the school’s polytechnic focus, I think Utah Tech was a great choice.

My alma mater Humboldt State just changed its name to Cal Poly Humboldt. If they think that will help, I say go for it.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:18 PM, BobcatGoldthwait said:

My alma mater Texas State changed its name too... and now we are playing FBS football in one of the best G5 leagues.

That’s a great example of a rebranding that helped raise a university’s profile. Obviously the name change alone wasn’t responsible for Texas State’s attainment of FBS status or climb up the athletic conference ladder — significant increases to the athletic budget fueled by student fees and a major investment in athletic facilities were also required — but the name change was arguably a necessary ingredient in the successful recipe.

On 6/16/2022 at 2:18 AM, BobcatGoldthwait said:

My alma mater Texas State changed its name too... and now we are playing FBS football in one of the best G5 leagues.

Did y'all leave the Sun Belt?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:14 AM, renoskier said:

"Dixie" was a really stupid name in the first place. Wonder why the university founders ever came up with it?

edit: okay, nevermind...it definitely had to go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_(Utah)

They also refer to the civil war as the "war of northern aggression."

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

On 6/16/2022 at 3:18 AM, BobcatGoldthwait said:

You never should have changed your mascot from the Armadillos.

Maybe you can do a quantum leap and go back and right that wrong.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:58 PM, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

Formally known as Dixie State, looks like they changed their school name. 

I once knew a guy who heard of Dixie State...

Now he's eating dried fruits. 

New-Signature.jpg