Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Tell us about your football team thread (long)

On 6/10/2022 at 10:30 PM, Spaztecs said:

As to my Aztecs, i will do the Defense in this post and tackle the O in another post or another Aztec fan can handle it.

D-Line: How do you replace the MW Defensive POY ?   Add to that the loss of four experienced rotation players to graduation or transfer ?

You start with super seniors- defensive disruptors Keyshawn Banks and Jonah Tavai. Add two year letterman and rotation player, Garret Fountain,  mix in  transfers Justus Tavai, (Jonahs little Brah),  Devin Lamp from Tulsa,  a couple of JC transfers, and hope a bunch of Red Shirts develop quickly.

The top four guys will be very good. Behind them will be a work in progress. As a unit they will take a step back from last seasons  group, but they will still be a top 5 unit in the MW.

LB -  Back is Super Senior- pass rushing Ace, Caden McDonald,  who will be joined by his little brother, Cooper, who transfered in from Washington. Michael Shawcroft emerged as the Will LB last season and will joined by experienced rotation players Seydrick Lakalaka and Vai Kaho. Again the front line is solid, the newcomers will be the question. This unit looks like a reload.

Secondary - Questions abound with the loss of numerous experienced and talented DB's. Only four upperclassmen return. Seniors Sedarius Barfield, Dallas Branch, and Aztec safety Patrick McMorris, whom the Coaching Staff is expecting a big year, along with Jr Corner Noah Tumblin. Add in experienced and talented Super Sophs Noah Avinger and CJ Baskerville.

There is alot of seriously talented and experienced DB's in this group. Despite the graduation losses, this position group is looking more like a Reload instead of a Rebuild.

Overall, the Defense won't be as dominating as the last three units. But, it will still be very good and will keep the offense in every game. 

This will be the first chance to see how Kurt Mattix and Brady's  recruits have developed.

I agree the defense should be pretty darn good and might be better than thought. A little fired up when it comes to the offense as well. Looks like the Aztecs might actually have a QB that can throw the ball down field and some receivers that can run solid routes. RB's should be just fine. Might have some questions regarding the OL. 

Go Aztecs!! 

For Wyoming... A big fat question mark across most places outside RB. We got a new o-line coach, QB competition, a bunch of unproven WRs, a defense without the guy that led them for the last couple of years on the field... Our RBs look to be good, hard hitting runners at least. More than that, is simply up in the air.

On 6/14/2022 at 3:43 PM, AztecAlien said:

I agree the defense should be pretty darn good and might be better than thought. A little fired up when it comes to the offense as well. Looks like the Aztecs might actually have a QB that can throw the ball down field and some receivers that can run solid routes. RB's should be just fine. Might have some questions regarding the OL. 

Go Aztecs!! 

The Aztecs lost 7 players across the front line. 3 starters. RG Chris Martinez took a Grad transfer offer at ASU. All MW performers and 3/4 year starters LG William Dunkle and LT  Zach Thomas graduated and have a shot at the NFL. Four other depth guys or next up guys transferred out. Most notably Joey Capra who transfered to Nevada.

Brandon Crenshaw-Dixon is back at RT and is projected as a 2nd team all MW performer as is C Alma Uluave who is pre-season first team. After that, it's a bunch of Red Shirts and fresh 18 year olds. They are all big and athletic, but wet behind the ears.

This position group is a major rebuild. Let's hope O-line Coach, Mike Goff, can develop them quick.

It won't matter how good the qb and running backs are if the O-line isn't up to snuff.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 6/14/2022 at 2:43 PM, AztecAlien said:

Go Aztecs!! 

I think this is why our DBs will be much better than expected.  In years past all they had to do in practices was deflect or intercept poorly thrown passes.  Hence, their weaknesses showed against the opponents' good QBs .  Now they'll be practicing against a QB who can challenge them    

I'll believe the o-line has turned a corner when I see it with my own two eye's. The last four or five summers have been nothing praise for the o-line and then they go out and lay a giant stinking turd. I'm not getting fooled again. I'm not sold on the two returning guards, they were a liability all year long, and if you re-watch the SDSU game you'll see Dooley getting absolutely worked all game long.

If we struggle up front expect another mediocre offense from Boise St. We'll see.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:35 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Ron Collins on the defensive side also. He headed up some of the best defenses for Boise back in the early 00s. Insanely over qualified hires. If Plough doesn't work out, I wonder if he'd be interested in being an OC with limited recruiting duties. That'd be a coup of epic proportions. Also, Daryn Colledge was hired on in the athletic department for some football capacity. I'd love to see him be OL coach at some point.

Defensively Aztecs won't miss a beat- true a couple top players graduated yet with the constant rotation the backups are ready. Our D line will be stellar as will the LB's and at least 2 of the DB's. D-Coord is solid.

QB Transfer starter Braxton is all that and his backup is ready to take the reins once he is done. We WILL have a passing game.

WR might be the strongest position on the field. Saying a lot for a team that traditionally runs first and still has the same incompetent OC- (the rebuttal of course is we didn't have a QB that could throw the ball which is absolute BS).

Oline is well coached- 1 transfer whom started at Okla State Solid Center and another 2 that played well-see coaching that area will be fine.

Biggest concern with this team is the OC. The same idiot that fired 3 starting QB's and ran off perhaps our best RB in Jasmin. I have 0 confidence in a guy who can't develop the players on his squad, and they actually regress. If we didn't have the talent, this clown would have been canned...

ST will be special. $C Speedster who started at $C will be running back the KO and PR. Sprinkle in Byrd (Boise fans know him well), and this unit will perform and also is WELL COACHED. Kicking well that standard is set and gone.

Like the schedule- concerned about FresTuckie ("Mr. Haney" at the Controls) and that's really about it. We will hammer U of A in our first game at home and I expect give the gUTEs more than they expect or can handle...

Mr Haney.JPG

It's pretty simple for CSU.  We've got some really, really good talent.  We've got some very young and average talent, and we've got a lot of unknown talent.  New coach, new system, yada yada yada.  I think we'll be pretty salty on defense as far as the ones are concerned, but the depth is young and a complete unknown.  The offense isn't really structured to give the defense a lot of rest.  If we can block, we'll score very quickly.  If we can't block we'll see a ton of 3 and outs.  I'm hoping for the former, but neither one gives your D much rest.

Frankly, we just don't know.  We may miss Stonehouse's leg a lot this year.  Then again, we may surprise everybody including ourselves.

I'll give a shot at USU offense first:

Offense

QB- Logan Bonner broke many of Jordan Love's school records in his first season in Logan last year and will return as the starter this season. He's a quick decision maker, accurate with the ball, but does struggle with the deep ball at times. Similar to Hank, he gets hit a lot and is tough as nails. Behind him are Cooper Legas, who filled in at the LA Bowl after Bonner went down, and Wyoming transfer Levi Williams, who was their starter down the stretch last season. Aggies also signed freshman Bishop Davenport from Spring, TX and Chase Tuatagaloa from Orem, UT this season. This may be the deepest QB room there has been at USU.

RB- Calvin Tyler Jr. returns as the starter once again after leading the team in rushing with 884 yards on 4.5/ypc. He will be backed up by Jr. John Gentry who has seen action in his first two years at Utah State but will need to take on a larger role this season. Along with those two is Pailate Makakona who has been 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and will be relied on as a change of pace back. It's a bunch of journeymen and inexperience after these 3. The Aggies will also add FR Robert Briggs out of Bellville, TX this summer. The Aggies have tried to sign another RB to replace the loss of Elelyon Noa but have not been successful yet. If Tyler goes down for any length of time, this group is suddenly very thin. The only bright side of that is the Aggie offense is a spread 'em out and pass first so it doesn't rely on the run very much.

WR- Bad news, good news. Bad news is that the Aggies lost a lot of offensive production at this spot. Many preseason predictors and pundits see this loss on paper and point to the loss of Deven Thompkins, Brandon Bowling, and Derek Wright as the main reason the Aggies will take a step back this year. Good news is there were already very good WR's in line behind these guys on the roster waiting their turn and the Aggies have signed a slew of new talent to add to the mix too. The Aggies will return one starter in Justin McGriff - at 6'-6" he will once again be the possession and goal line type receiver he has been the last 2 seasons at USU. Also returning are slot WR's Kyle Van Leeuwen and NyNy Davis. Both of them looked good last year and could have started if it weren't for the sheer amount of talented upperclassmen in front of them. Joining the returners will be Maryland graduate transfer Brian Cobbs (6'-2" / 205) who started games for the Terrapins all four years he was there. Also arriving and possibly playing opposite Cobbs is Alabama transfer Xavier Williams (6'-0" / 195). Another new addition that has shined since arriving is JC All-American Terrell Vaughn (5'-7" / 175). Much like Davis, he is looking to fill the role of the small quick guy left open by Thompkins' departure for the NFL. There are several other WR's not mentioned that have also shown the ability to work their way into playing time too. There are lots of options and lots of talent with this group. 4 and even 5 WR sets are possible and they will be a handful to slow down with several talented QB's to distribute the ball. This group has the depth and potential to be even better than last year.

OL- This group started to come together a little better toward the end of last season but they always seemed to have someone injured and didn't have the depth to overcome without taking a step back. Things were looking pretty good for a solid 2 deep at all spots this year until the loss of Quazzel White a few weeks ago. Now it looks more like last year with solid returners at pretty much every spot and more experience but some young guys may have to step into those backup roles this year. It seems like 50% of the signing class were high school OL which is great for the future but doesn't provide much in the way of immediate help should we lose a couple of starters. There's 8-9 solid guys but not 10+ so it would be best if the Aggies didn't suffer many injuries here.

TE- TE? who needs a stinkin' TE? I mean, apparently SDSU lost 24 of them prior to the championship game which caused them to get crushed. But outside of that...? Honestly, the Aggies lost Carson Terrell to graduation but look forward to the return of Broc Lane who was looking real good last year before being lost for the season prior to game 1.

Pretty exciting time to be a Wyoming cowboy fan. Our defense should be on point. Anchored by big man Graham Ike and gigantic point guard Hunter Maldonado, Wyoming can clog the paint and with our new set of transfers, can hound opposing guards and wings around the perimeter. Depth at the post is a little bit of an issue, but hopefully with another year of conditioning and our incoming transfers, we'll take some of the burden for scoring off of those big two.

On offense, we should be rolling. Maldonado has some issues with turnovers, but we have good rebounding, good post presence, and should be able to get some space on the perimeter. The loss of DuSell is tough, losing a knockdown 3 point shooter will cost a bit of spacing, none of the transfers are as good from behind the arc, so we run the risk of 76er disease, but our rebounding and length have increased enough that I am willing to bet that our transition offense will make up for a bit of half-court stagnation. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

If our offense has a pulse and our defense stays healthy, we should actually be pretty good. 

Both of those are very big if's.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

After CSU decided to raid our team it is going to be a really long year here in Reno.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 6/21/2022 at 6:20 AM, happycamper said:

Pretty exciting time to be a Wyoming cowboy fan. Our defense should be on point. Anchored by big man Graham Ike and gigantic point guard Hunter Maldonado, Wyoming can clog the paint and with our new set of transfers, can hound opposing guards and wings around the perimeter. Depth at the post is a little bit of an issue, but hopefully with another year of conditioning and our incoming transfers, we'll take some of the burden for scoring off of those big two.

On offense, we should be rolling. Maldonado has some issues with turnovers, but we have good rebounding, good post presence, and should be able to get some space on the perimeter. The loss of DuSell is tough, losing a knockdown 3 point shooter will cost a bit of spacing, none of the transfers are as good from behind the arc, so we run the risk of 76er disease, but our rebounding and length have increased enough that I am willing to bet that our transition offense will make up for a bit of half-court stagnation. 

Is this your way of coping with the football team in Laradise? :hmmm: