Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

The 2022 Mid-Term Primary and General Election Thread

On 11/8/2022 at 9:11 AM, alum93 said:

Don't have access, but i was disagreeing with your last statement above.  A lot depends on if the Republicans stay loyal to the Trump type candidate or they go in a different direction long term.  I have a very hard time seeing Trump grow the party with minorities and younger generation.  We'll see.  

The theory that demographics is destiny for the democrat party is falling apart and will probably crash land tonight. 

One of the main points of the article  is that the democrats are increasingly becoming a party of the white college educated elite in already deep blue coastal urban areas. Their brand is not resonating with working class voters anymore and this is starting to even play out with minority working class voters. Democrat voters are highly concentrated among a few states, while Republican voters are spread out among many smaller more rural states, and this only increases the structural electoral advantage already built in towards smaller states. Now add to to the list that ticket splitting is becoming a rarer phenomenon. You used to get a state like south Dakota, or Iowa, or Nebraska that would reliably go red in the presidential election , but would also reliably reelect democrat senators every six years. That rarely happens anymore, and gives more strength to the GOP who already benefits form a built in advantage to small states. Flashing alarm bells and warning lights should be flashing all over the Democrats status board, but all they can do is squawk about Trump. 

Seriously though. get a subscription to the NY times. Well worth it in my opinion. 

On 11/8/2022 at 11:29 AM, Bob said:

Did they give you water and snacks so you didn't pass out? Oh, wait, that's illegal.

nah yer mom gave me a sandwich on my way out the door

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 11/7/2022 at 5:25 PM, masterfrog said:

I would bet Walker gets a higher percentage of the Black vote in Georgia than what the Republican received last election.  He is a hero in the state.

That shit was like Boomer era. I doubt subsequent generations would know who he was if he wasn't constantly flashing his fake police badges 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, Bob said:

DARK MONEY! RUSSIAN COLLUSION

Scotus rulings like Money is Speech, Corps are Citizens have set the table for dark money.

I'll bet if this subject was helping the Dems you and the GQP would be up in arms about it.

Americans Mayor

On 11/8/2022 at 8:33 AM, Spaztecs said:

That shit was like Boomer era. I doubt subsequent generations would know who he was if he wasn't holding up his fake ass badges.

SEC football?  No, I can guarantee you they know who Herschel is.  I have been to UGA on gameday, and even sidewalk fans are quite knowledgeable on UGA football.  Remember, Tuberville was elected in Alabama, and he is nowhere close to as revered as Walker, especially if you count Bammers likely not being a fan of the Aubie.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, bornontheblue said:

Can we send Ammon Bundy to your state?  Please? 

sure. maybe he and marsha blackburn can have a hot steamy forbidden romance

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 11/7/2022 at 10:52 PM, bornontheblue said:

21st Century America has more in common with the last days of Weimar Germany than many want to admit.

The economy, fear of Leftists and gays, coupled with a Conservative Authoritarian movement promising to solve all their problems while villfying the opposition are what  mattered and look how that turned out.

Congrats on winning your feel good Election. Dance, spike the football, post childish memes owning the Left, etc. 

Just remember this moment when it all goes to shit 

Americans Mayor

On 11/8/2022 at 11:37 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

SEC football?  No, I can guarantee you they know who Herschel is.  I have been to UGA on gameday, and even sidewalk fans are quite knowledgeable on UGA football.  Remember, Tuberville was elected in Alabama, and he is nowhere close to as revered as Walker, especially if you count Bammers likely not being a fan of the Aubie.

I mean when I was 16 I knew who herschel walker was lol. Be like not knowing ty detmer in utah

On 11/8/2022 at 8:45 AM, GoDogs22 said:

Good outline of what Republicans have been up to over the last two years

Same with this Politico post:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/11/08/a-political-nightmare-two-years-in-the-making-00065433

Americans Mayor

On 11/8/2022 at 9:31 AM, bornontheblue said:

The theory that demographics is destiny for the democrat party is falling apart and will probably crash land tonight. 

One of the main points of the article  is that the democrats are increasingly becoming a party of the white college educated elite in already deep blue coastal urban areas. Their brand is not resonating with working class voters anymore and this is starting to even play out with minority working class voters. Democrat voters are highly concentrated among a few states, while Republican voters are spread out among many smaller more rural states, and this only increases the structural electoral advantage already built in towards smaller states. Now add to to the list that ticket splitting is becoming a rarer phenomenon. You used to get a state like south Dakota, or Iowa, or Nebraska that would reliably go red in the presidential election , but would also reliably reelect democrat senators every six years. That rarely happens anymore, and gives more strength to the GOP who already benefits form a built in advantage to small states. Flashing alarm bells and warning lights should be flashing all over the Democrats status board, but all they can do is squawk about Trump. 

Seriously though. get a subscription to the NY times. Well worth it in my opinion. 

Do you have a clue about the consequences of hard core R gerrymandering over the last two decades ?

Please, no whataboutism.

Americans Mayor

On 11/8/2022 at 9:37 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Jersch hasn't been FB relevant since the 80's. But, if you're voting for the guy because he was a Sports hero, you probably shouldn't be voting.

Dumb phucking Electorate voting for dumb ass Candidates simply because of an R next to their names.

It's no wonder we are where we are 

Americans Mayor

On 11/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, happycamper said:

I mean when I was 16 I knew who herschel walker was lol. Be like not knowing ty detmer in utah

Who ?

Americans Mayor

On 11/8/2022 at 8:53 AM, Spaztecs said:

Jersch hasn't been FB relevant since the 80's. But, if you're voting for the guy because he was a Sports hero, you probably shouldn't be voting.

Dumb phucking Electorate voting for dumb ass Candidates simply because of an R next to their names.

It's no wonder we are where we are 

It's the SEC

sec-means-more.gif

On 11/8/2022 at 9:31 AM, bornontheblue said:

Long term and one midterm election do not go hand in hand.  I think if the Republicans want more of the minority vote, they will have to purge their party of certain types of candidates and rhetoric.  The big fish is Trump, but it filters down to the Greene's of the world.  Time will tell.  The whole "many fine people on both sides" and "stand by and stand proud" view of the world will not sell to the fastest growing parts of the population over time.  And at least in the short term, it looks like people like Greene and Lake are where the party is headed.

I have been thinking of getting a NY times subscription believe it or not.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, alum93 said:

Long term and one midterm election do not go hand in hand.  I think if the Republicans want more of the minority vote, they will have to purge their party of certain types of candidates and rhetoric.  The big fish is Trump, but it filters down to the Greene's of the world.  Time will tell.  The whole "many fine people on both sides" and "stand by and stand proud" view of the world will not sell to the fastest growing parts of the population over time.  And at least in the short term, it looks like people like Greene and Lake are where the party is headed.

I have been thinking of getting a NY times subscription believe it or not.

The GOP has already made substantial inroads with the Hispanic community. The Hispanic vote in Florida has pretty much turned it into a reliable red state, and the Hispanic vote in Texas is keeping it a red state. 

Next I think you will start to see inroads made with African American working class men. 

The Democrat party is becoming a party of white snobs with college degrees concentrated in deep blue enclaves, and their message is not resonating with the working class, and this is starting to show up with non white working class voters. 

Just simply squawking about Trump and Green will not be a successful long term plan. 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:31 AM, bornontheblue said:

The demographics as destiny theory is indeed horse manure. Even the guy who initially put it forward admits that.

The beauty of our representative self-governance system has not been that we have the ability to select great leaders, it’s been the ability to periodically remove terrible leaders. For all of the good and bad that Trump and Trumpism has wrought forth on our country, the worst is it’s undermining that fundamental aspect of our political system. 

I don’t think it’s an argument that the Democrats are winning right now. When the world seems unsettled, humanity gravitates towards authoritarians. It’s tough to notice you’re in a kettle of water set to boil when you’re just struggling to tread water.

The Democrats annoy me and exasperate me on a daily basis, but they don’t scare me, and they don’t make me feel like they seek to grab the reins of power and never it relinquish them.

Some of the worst dictators of the 20th century won free and fair elections…the first time.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, bornontheblue said:

The GOP has already made substantial inroads with the Hispanic community. The Hispanic vote in Florida has pretty much turned it into a reliable red state, and the Hispanic vote in Texas is keeping it a red state. 

Next I think you will start to see inroads made with African American working class men. 

The Democrat party is becoming a party of white snobs with college degrees concentrated in deep blue enclaves, and their message is not resonating with the working class, and this is starting to show up with non white working class voters. 

Just simply squawking about Trump and Green will not be a successful long term plan. 

It's not squawking if Trump and Greene are the type of candidates that will define the Republican party.  When you only start with 10% of the minority vote, it's easy to say your making inroads.  You won't win in 10-20 years with 80% voting against you.  Numbers won't work.  Texas and Florida aren't swing states.  Georgia, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, NC, those are the states that will decide the next president.  The blue wall failed in 2016 and worked in 2020, that is for those that believe Biden actually won.