Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aztecjeff

West Virginia's Gold & Blue Dude reviews "Group of 5" schools for P5 Expansion

This is a funsy one from gold and blue dude.  For RSF, lols.  

This is an example of how he can be awkward.  In one bit he wants Georgia Tech removed from ACC.  In another bit he wants Georgia Tech added to SEC.  He's all over the place except for one thing.  West Virginia to ACC...his swan song. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 6/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, AztecSU said:

The CBS game against Zona on Sept 3rd (12:30 EST) is a huge opportunity. I hope they’re ready. 

Yep, Opening Weekend on CBS normal in the afternoon time slot.  Not to mention at Utah two weeks later on ESPN2 for an evening game.  Two weeks after that, Aztecs at Boise on FS1 for an early evening thriller.  Let's see how the TV ratings flow for Aztecs. 

This very well could be a very Defining Year for Aztec football.  Newby stadium and all, cornering the San Diego eyeball market. 

One of themes surrounding formal joining of UH, UCF, and Cincinnati to XII next year is this.  The only Power 5 to span 3 times zones.  We already knew this with indy BYU join and of course member West Virginia.  Why not make it more? 

Four time zones with San Diego State and BYU buddy Boise for MST time slot.  IF the Newby XII is thoughtful enough, negotiating enough, crafty enough c. 2025 TV deal, it has nothing to do with anything very crowded east and even middle.  It's all about the west.  San Diego State, BYU, and Boise anchoring west matters.  West Virginia, UCF, and Cincinnati anchoring east matters. The rest of Us eight do the middle. 

To boot, the newby XII needs to relocate to Kansas City for leadership purposes.  Historically, Big12 was too myopic re Texas squads politically.  No more of that at all.  New League.  New Things.  Relocate to Kansas for leadership. 

On 6/11/2022 at 2:55 PM, Coog kev said:

One of themes surrounding formal joining of UH, UCF, and Cincinnati to XII next year is this.  The only Power 5 to span 3 times zones.  We already knew this with indy BYU join and of course member West Virginia.  Why not make it more? 

Four time zones with San Diego State and BYU buddy Boise for MST time slot.  IF the Newby XII is thoughtful enough, negotiating enough, crafty enough c. 2025 TV deal, it has nothing to do with anything very crowded east and even middle.  It's all about the west.  San Diego State, BYU, and Boise anchoring west matters.  West Virginia, UCF, and Cincinnati anchoring east matters. The rest of Us eight do the middle. 

To boot, the newby XII needs to relocate to Kansas City for leadership purposes.  Historically, Big12 was too myopic re Texas squads politically.  No more of that at all.  New League.  New Things.  Relocate to Kansas for leadership. 

3 time zones is bad enough, 4 for college sports is just dumb.  

It's a new dynamic rapidly unfolding.  Only the ACC is locked in until 2036 for TV contracts.  SEC and B1G already lead the way.  PAC and XII are up next.  There is talk amongst PAC types that 9a. Saturday kickoffs PST are necessary to compete with over-weighted east coast and middle time slots.

Who actually watches PAC after dark games at like midnight?  No one.  Fortunately, BYU is already highly adaptable to whatever the Newby XII deal requires re football programming eyeballs.  Most likely potential new member Boise too.  SDSU will adapt.  And yes, re anything else in XII sports, the BYU Sunday no-play rule is honored as far as I know.  That means the traditional Friday - Sunday baseball sked is moved to Thursday - Saturday for BYU direct competition.  Amongst other things special to BYU. 

On 6/11/2022 at 3:29 PM, Coog kev said:

It's a new dynamic rapidly unfolding.  Only the ACC is locked in until 2036 for TV contracts.  SEC and B1G already lead the way.  PAC and XII are up next.  There is talk amongst PAC types that 9a. Saturday kickoffs PST are necessary to compete with over-weighted east coast and middle time slots. 

That's why I feel like the P5 should have to have one TV contract like the NFL and distribute it evenly.  Then people can have their games whenever and still make money.  Better fan experience.  

That is never going to happen re even distribution of TV monies.  SEC and B1G with their over-the-top contracts fantastic deals are who they are.  Excellent bank.  The Power Two.

BTW, once UH formally cojoins XII in two years, we no longer have to have student fees to subsidize our athletics programming.  We are fortunate to finally end all that.  With positive athletics bank finally arriving thanks to ESPN/Fox/whatever new TV contract.

And...finally NOT in a spastic conference which no one really gives a sh*t about on the home front.  Except for Navy.  No one gives a rat ass about directional East Carolina, Temple, Tulsa, and the Tulane. 

Bring on Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and TCU all the time, every time on the gridiron.  BYU too.  Hoops is sold out Kansas in advance. 

On 6/11/2022 at 4:12 PM, Coog kev said:

That is never going to happen re even distribution of TV monies.  SEC and B1G with their over-the-top contracts fantastic deals are who they are.  Excellent bank.  The Power Two.

BTW, once UH formally cojoins XII in two years, we no longer have to have student fees to subsidize our athletics programming.  We are fortunate to finally end all that.  With positive athletics bank finally arriving thanks to ESPN/Fox/whatever new TV contract.

And...finally NOT in a spastic conference which no one really gives a sh*t about on the home front.  Except for Navy.  No one gives a rat ass about directional East Carolina, Temple, Tulsa, and the Tulane. 

Bring on Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and TCU all the time, every time on the gridiron.  BYU too.  Hoops is sold out Kansas in advance. 

Of course it won't happen because that would be good for college sports and the powers that be don't actually give a shit about sports.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:31 AM, AztecSU said:

The CBS game against Zona on Sept 3rd (12:30 EST) is a huge opportunity. I hope they’re ready. 

I'm concerned about two things.

1. Our somewhat inexperienced OL doesn't hold up and Burmeister tries to do too much on his own with his legs and turns the ball over a few times. Of the many posts by VA Tech fans about Braxton on their boards after it was announced he would attend SDSU, that was the sole criticism and a number of posters so stated. If that doesn't happen, I think we'll easily cover the current 7-point spread.

2. The team plays very well but a lot of Aztecs nevertheless embarrass the university to the entire country by selling their tickets to Arizona fans resulting in foreign butts in 1/3 of the seats for the first game in our next stadium. As a fellow longtime fan, you know it could happen. "SIT IN THE SUN? OH SWEET BABY JESUS, I CAN'T DO THAT!!! Particularly not if I can sell my tickets and earn a profit of a couple hundred dollars!!!"

^^^ mostly agreed, Wyobraska.  For now.  Even though my squad has waited to rejoin the power groups of it all since the SWC break up, something tells me the 2030s will be very, very different.  And Difficult.  For now my squad can roll through the latter half of this decade okay fine.  With some bank.  Sustainable?  Who knows.

However, college sports have a very deep and wide appeal across the nation..pervasive.  There's always that,  Exhibit A by example:  March Madness and its very high popularity and 64-team + inclusion.  Who doesn't love that mess, you tell me. 

On 6/11/2022 at 3:12 PM, Coog kev said:

And...finally NOT in a spastic conference which no one really gives a sh*t about on the home front.  Except for Navy.  No one gives a rat ass about Directional East Carolina, Temple, Tusla, and Too-lame

Fixed for accuracy.

Mike Aresco: God's gift to conference commissioners according to half the AAC board

lols re anything to do with Aresco.  My squad and two others skated off with an $18m exit fee paid over time.  Compared to $17m UConn exit fee with no football. 

Anywho, SDSU definitely on the radar for the maybe XII jump to 14.  Scratch the maybe part.  The scuttlebutt is all about 14.

Vaguely skulking about XII opinions re current membership and nothing to do with we newbies, they want to pick off both Arizonas prior to the PAC contract redo and send a message to the PAC.  Total yawn.  Very boring yawn.

San Diego market and Boise market combined by brand with national appeal in different, captivating, and unique ways far outweighs the two Arizonas.  By a long shot.  Unfortunately, for now, UH has no vote in XII legal matters until July 1, 2023, 

On 6/11/2022 at 6:05 PM, Coog kev said:

Vaguely skulking about XII opinions re current membership and nothing to do with we newbies, they want to pick off both Arizonas prior to the PAC contract redo and send a message to the PAC.  Total yawn.  Very boring yawn.

San Diego market and Boise market combined by brand with national appeal in different, captivating, and unique ways far outweighs the two Arizonas.  By a long shot.  Unfortunately, for now, UH has no vote in XII legal matters until July 1, 2023, 

Would be interesting to see if the Big12 is able to poach any PAC schools. Honestly if they were to attempt it I'd think Utah and Colorado would be more attractive options. Utah has been consistently improving and Colorado would be reunited with some old Big 12 foes. Not to mention would create a solid group in terms of Geography for the Western half of the Conference.

That being said the PAC may try to poach some Big12 schools in return, will depend on the new Comissioner.

On 6/11/2022 at 8:30 PM, utgrizfan said:

Would be interesting to see if the Big12 is able to poach any PAC schools. Honestly if they were to attempt it I'd think Utah and Colorado would be more attractive options. Utah has been consistently improving and Colorado would be reunited with some old Big 12 foes. Not to mention would create a solid group in terms of Geography for the Western half of the Conference.

That being said the PAC may try to poach some Big12 schools in return, will depend on the new Comissioner.

eh not gonna happen B12 is gonna die out in my view not enough good academic or well known schools nationally when compared to the other P4

On 6/11/2022 at 4:12 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I'm concerned about two things.

1. Our somewhat inexperienced OL doesn't hold up and Burmeister tries to do too much on his own with his legs and turns the ball over a few times. Of the many posts by VA Tech fans about Braxton on their boards after it was announced he would attend SDSU, that was the sole criticism and a number of posters so stated. If that doesn't happen, I think we'll easily cover the current 7-point spread.

2. The team plays very well but a lot of Aztecs nevertheless embarrass the university to the entire country by selling their tickets to Arizona fans resulting in foreign butts in 1/3 of the seats for the first game in our next stadium. As a fellow longtime fan, you know it could happen. "SIT IN THE SUN? OH SWEET BABY JESUS, I CAN'T DO THAT!!! Particularly not if I can sell my tickets and earn a profit of a couple hundred dollars!!!"

AZ fans don't travel for football They barely show up at home.  Also, can't see anyone wanting to not be at the inaugural event. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke