Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dogday63

Allegations of rape and cover-up at SDSU

On 6/4/2022 at 5:06 PM, SDSUfan said:

Okay. It's a city of 1.4 million in a region of roughly  3.5 million. It is not some small football obsessed college town . There are "good ol boys" networks but they move billions and work real estate deals. They do not exist as a bulwark to protect a bunch of college kids from criminal prosecution.  The very concept is patently absurd.

Precisely. SDSU and SDSU alums play a big role in the region economically but not really in terms of sports. The vast majority of the 3.5M people in San Diego County couldn’t name a current SDSU athlete. I’m confident this case will be pursued appropriately.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 6/4/2022 at 6:35 PM, Headbutt said:

Your chart leaves out how many sexual assault cases get referred to prosecutors.  Why is that?

The charts you present do not address your assertion that police are notoriously bad when it comes to investigating rape cases at all.  Investigating and arrest rate vary widely among many types of crimes.  Some are much more difficult to gain evidence on than others.  A failure to arrest hardly indicates a failure to investigate.  I'd say the 31% reporting rate is the most alarming statistic there.

The cases that do get reported often do not make it through the system, or get held up somewhere. This is widely recorded. For example, there is a mass backlog of rape kits across the country that are either never sent for testing or used for other purposes, such as DNA testing for criminal cases unrelated to the original purpose of the kit. Addressing the Rape Kit Backlog | RAINN

On 6/4/2022 at 6:06 PM, SDSUfan said:

Okay. It's a city of 1.4 million in a region of roughly  3.5 million. It is not some small football obsessed college town . There are "good ol boys" networks but they move billions and work real estate deals. They do not exist as a bulwark to protect a bunch of college kids from criminal prosecution.  The very concept is patently absurd.

Putting a lot of faith into police departments them, especially considering how often they go out of their way to protect college athletes from legal liabilities. 

Outside the Lines: College athletes at major programs benefit from confluence of factors to sometimes avoid criminal charges (espn.com)

Student-athletes and crime: Punishment or a slap on the wrist? | Signpost (mywebermedia.com)

On 6/4/2022 at 8:02 PM, Rebels2k3 said:

The cases that do get reported often do not make it through the system, or get held up somewhere. This is widely recorded. For example, there is a mass backlog of rape kits across the country that are either never sent for testing or used for other purposes, such as DNA testing for criminals. Addressing the Rape Kit Backlog | RAINN

Oh, I'm aware that there are issues.  There is a ton of improvement that can and needs to be addressed.  I just objected to the knee jerk and misleading post that it was the fault of the police.  Police take sexual assault cases very seriously.  Probably nothing but murder and child abuse rises to the level of importance that they put on sexual assault.  They can only investigate (and they do) but cannot take actions beyond which the evidence directs them.  It's not on the cops.

I still wonder about the difference in the charts you presented.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:07 PM, Headbutt said:

Oh, I'm aware that there are issues.  There is a ton of improvement that can and needs to be addressed.  I just objected to the knee jerk and misleading post that it was the fault of the police.  Police take sexual assault cases very seriously.  Probably nothing but murder and child abuse rises to the level of importance that they put on sexual assault.  They can only investigate (and they do) but cannot take actions beyond which the evidence directs them.  It's not on the cops.

I still wonder about the difference in the charts you presented.

If police take sexual assault investigations seriously, why the backlog?

The fact is there is a cultural problem with most police departments across the country, and sexual assault probably isn't taken as seriously as a result. Why this happens is probably up for debate, but it's very clear sexual assault cases aren't treated in the same manner as murder or child abuse, especially on college campuses. There are great pieces of journalism and research out there on this subject, I've already linked a few of them. Here's another one - America’s Largest Police Department Is Neglecting Rape Cases - The Appeal

On 6/4/2022 at 8:04 PM, Rebels2k3 said:

Putting a lot of faith into police departments them, especially considering how often they go out of their way to protect college athletes from legal liabilities. 

Outside the Lines: College athletes at major programs benefit from confluence of factors to sometimes avoid criminal charges (espn.com)

Student-athletes and crime: Punishment or a slap on the wrist? | Signpost (mywebermedia.com)

A fair bit of number spinning in these articles.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I am saying that it's not the norm.  When it does happen it's a little silly to look at the PD.  A whole lot smarter to look at elected officials (DA's?) who can be affected by special interests.  Cops just enforce the law.  They don't have near the leeway that their elected administrators do in what is addressed and what isn't.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:11 PM, Rebels2k3 said:

If police take sexual assault investigations seriously, why the backlog?

The fact is there is a cultural problem with most police departments across the country, and sexual assault probably isn't taken as seriously as a result. Why this happens is probably up for debate, but it's very clear sexual assault cases aren't treated in the same manner as murder or child abuse, especially on college campuses. There are great pieces of journalism and research out there on this subject, I've already linked a few of them. Here's another one - America’s Largest Police Department Is Neglecting Rape Cases - The Appeal

You've yet to link a "great piece" of journalism.  Do you think the average cop on patrol has any control at all over the backlog of rape kits?  Hell, those aren't even in a police budget, those are part of the hospital budget.  Just like the ER physician that treats a cop for gunshot wounds after some drug addled POS decides to start a gunfight.  I'm thinking you might want to look at the city council that controls the budget for those things.  Nobody is perfect in these issues, but you seem to be in such a hurry to point a finger that you ignore the big picture and choose to blame the easy target.

On 6/4/2022 at 5:14 PM, NorCalCoug said:

Bad timing…. If the BigXII expands in the next few years this will hurt their chances - especially in light of what they’ve already had to manage with Baylor.  Sad, I would prefer SDSU over Memphis.

why would the b12 want a school all the way in California. A that point the conference is gonna be dead at that point lol

On 6/5/2022 at 9:05 AM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

why would the b12 want a school all the way in California. A that point the conference is gonna be dead at that point lol

Why would the PAC want a program in OK to join? Like I stated in the other thread, anything is possible these days. College sports especially football needs to change the playoff format instead changing conference realignment to cater to the cartel programs. Go to 6-8 teams. Preferably 8. 

On 6/5/2022 at 9:05 AM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

For the same reason the PAC would want a team all the way in Stillwater, OK?  Oh wait…

v0icAvfW.jpg

My buddy 4Xgrad said it well elsewhere, to quote him

"

Where I do have a problem, and I think this is fair, is that the school has an obligation to investigate the accusations in a timely manner to the benefit, safety, security, and general well being of the entire campus. The police have their process and timeline and I can see why they might ask for a delay in that investigation so as the two would not interfere with each other. That is all well and good. But a delay is NOT a total suspension. That appears to possibly be happening here. It is a difficult assignment that I am sure that if someone does want to be on the investigating committee they are probably biased and you do not want them on the investigative committee. It would be a thankless project that would be so easy to abdicate. That appears to be what is happening.

That investigation could show that the whole thing was made up. Or the wrong individuals were identified as the perpetrators. What ever the result the campus community deserves an investigation to get to the truth. So do the people that have been identified as being involved. Since it happened during the football season it has not been a full year. But you have to admit 9 months is way to long to even just start the investigation. Witnesses forget, move away, facts are forgotten. Justice delayed is justice denied."

On 6/5/2022 at 10:02 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

My buddy 4Xgrad said it well elsewhere, to quote him

"

Where I do have a problem, and I think this is fair, is that the school has an obligation to investigate the accusations in a timely manner to the benefit, safety, security, and general well being of the entire campus. The police have their process and timeline and I can see why they might ask for a delay in that investigation so as the two would not interfere with each other. That is all well and good. But a delay is NOT a total suspension. That appears to possibly be happening here. It is a difficult assignment that I am sure that if someone does want to be on the investigating committee they are probably biased and you do not want them on the investigative committee. It would be a thankless project that would be so easy to abdicate. That appears to be what is happening.

That investigation could show that the whole thing was made up. Or the wrong individuals were identified as the perpetrators. What ever the result the campus community deserves an investigation to get to the truth. So do the people that have been identified as being involved. Since it happened during the football season it has not been a full year. But you have to admit 9 months is way to long to even just start the investigation. Witnesses forget, move away, facts are forgotten. Justice delayed is justice denied."

JFC. 

So by this logic if a student robs a liquor store in La Mesa the university is responsible for investigating.  After all who's to say that this guy won't jack a student?

Maybe you can explain how the university would undertake such an investigation.

The "campus community" doesn't deserve shit beyond what the larger community deserves, which in an investigation by the PROPER law enforcement authority.   When a determination is made by the PROPER law enforcement authority, the campus should investigate its subsequent course of action.

Idiot

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 6/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, SDSUfan said:

JFC. 

So by this logic if a student robs a liquor store in La Mesa the university is responsible for investigating.  After all who's to say that this guy won't jack a student?

Maybe you can explain how the university would undertake such an investigation.

The "campus community" doesn't deserve shit beyond what the larger community deserves, which in an investigation by the PROPER law enforcement authority.   When a determination is made by the PROPER law enforcement authority, the campus should investigate its subsequent course of action.

Idiot

You allegedly have 5 student athletes gang rape a minor, the SDSU community deserved to know there are potentially evil, dangerous men on campus being investigated by the police.

SDSU +++++ed up.

Interesting you would compare the brutal rape of a kid by 5 grown men representing your school on the football field to a random student stealing another students stuff, though.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You allegedly have 5 student athletes gang rape a minor, the SDSU community deserved to know there are potentially evil, dangerous men on campus being investigated by the police.

SDSU +++++ed up.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/san-diego-state-defends-handling-of-rape-allegations-against-football-players/2963118/

"Campus officials told NBC 7 that SDPD asked them not to conduct their own independent investigation because it could jeopardize their criminal investigation."

"School officials say they did not notify students on campus through their notification system called Clery Timely Warning because they are legally not allowed to report incidents outside of their jurisdiction (off-campus). They say to this day the incident has not been reported to them by a witness or the victim, and SDPD has not shared with them the name of the victim or any suspects."

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-news/report-sdsu-football-players-accused-of-rape-at-house-party/

"In their statement Friday, the school took issue with the L.A. Times headline, which states that the allegations “were followed by months of silence.”

"Officials say they requested — in writing — that any and all victims be provided information on the Title IX office at SDSU, should they want to come forward or take advantage of its various programs. School officials said that police told them they provided the victim with that information."

"To this day, officials say that neither the University Police Department or the Title IX office have received a formal claim from a victim or witness connected to the incident." 

On 6/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

SDSU +++++ed up.

Interesting you would compare the brutal rape of a kid by 5 grown men representing your school on the football field to a random student stealing another students stuff, though.

The students already apparently knew, given that everyone is basing their judgments on rumors that were rampant among the students....AND NOTHING ELSE.

There is potential evil everywhere and at all times.    Any sentient person understands this and avoids situations that may put them in harms way to the best of their ability.  Students are not a distinct population. They are part of the larger community.  They deserve nothing more and nothing less than everyone else in society.

Our criminal justice system exists to protect the rights of the accused from mob justice and vigilantism, which apparently, you prefer.

Here's a suggestion to all of those potential victims out there - Don't get shit-faced drunk and pass out at a strangers house filled with strangers. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 6/5/2022 at 12:34 PM, SDSUfan said:

The students already apparently knew, given that everyone is basing their judgments on rumors that were rampant among the students....AND NOTHING ELSE.

There is potential evil everywhere and at all times.    Any sentient person understands this and avoids situations that may put them in harms way to the best of their ability.  Students are not a distinct population. They are part of the larger community.  They deserve nothing more and nothing less than everyone else in society.

Our criminal justice system exists to protect the rights of the accused from mob justice and vigilantism, which apparently, you prefer.

Here's a suggestion to all of those potential victims out there - Don't get shit-faced drunk and pass out at a strangers house filled with strangers. 

Actually, really good advice.  It would be great if more followed it.  I'll add however, and you already know this, that passing out does not equal consent.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:45 PM, SDSUfan said:

What "digging" have you done other than into your gaping sphincter?

There has been no "cover up".  The police and the university have been acting in concert to ensure the LAW is followed.  Because they've resisted the temptation to grandstand in the press and have been deliberate in their actions, choosing not to adhere to some arbitrary timetable,  isn't evidence of anything other than professionalism.

Maybe in your back ass wards hillbilly shitbox of a state, good ol' lynchin', posse's and mob justice still rule.  Out here in the civilized world, rights, evidence and the rule of law are real things, you know, that pesky "presumption of innocence"  thing.

The University has to walk a fine line on the rights of the accused.  Due process, etc.

Yes, suspension from the FB team seems appropriate while the investigatyion is going on. But, what if the players are truly innoccent ?

The University then is liable to lawsuits from the innocent denying them their right to play ball.

And what of the rights of the victim ? Or other women on campus ?

It's a pandoras box. And there is no right or correct solution.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

If the girl was passed out, how did she know five guys raped her? In other words others at the party must have knowledge and told her. You would assume the police has interviewed those at the party. Whether they cooperated is another matter. And whether she is telling the truth is another matter. 

Not good for SDSU this has taken so long to investigate.