Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dogday63

Allegations of rape and cover-up at SDSU

On 6/3/2022 at 1:12 PM, dshawfan said:

On this I have no idea what the agreement was between the SDPD and SDSU, and as a father of 3 girls, suspending the players involved is my knee jerk reaction, but what if they are innocent of this claim? Does the school then face repercussions from the suspended players? It's a truly ugly situation for all involved, and it seems like the school is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Given the seriousness of the charges, them being innocent is a chance you have to take, should have been suspended immediately, you know the police did not inform the school to not suspend them from playing football, that would be ridiculous.  I mean, we are talking about the gang rape of a minor leaving her bloody, bruised and unconscious.  Absolutely no reason for the school to not make it public the police are investing a rape involving members of the SDSU community.  

On 6/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

How would suspending the players for undisclosed reasons in any way compromise the police investigation?  It sounds like the police asked them to not run a parallel investigation, absolutely no reason to not have suspended the players.

And this

"In interviews, Title IX and legal experts said it can be appropriate for schools to comply with police requests to delay investigations but that it was troubling that San Diego State has held off on taking action for nearly an entire academic year. They noted that the university is obligated to investigate to ensure the safety and civil rights of students and employees. Though a campus can temporarily delay an investigation in compliance with a law enforcement request, it’s at the university’s discretion whether to do so and to determine for how long, they said."

If the players were allowed to continue playing and coaching staff knew the coaching staff should definitely be in hot water. That baing said, as of now it’s not public who the 5 scummy people are so its hard to have definite stances here. Who knows if they are even at the school anymore

On 6/3/2022 at 2:11 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Given the seriousness of the charges, them being innocent is a chance you have to take, should have been suspended immediately, you know the police did not inform the school to not suspend them from playing football, that would be ridiculous.  I mean, we are talking about the gang rape of a minor leaving her bloody, bruised and unconscious.  Absolutely no reason for the school to not make it public the police are investing a rape involving members of the SDSU community.  

Allegedly.  We can't forget that.  That's extreme enough of an allegation to assume there is probably more than just a kernel of truth there, but until the police gain enough evidence to officially name some folks as suspects and definitively identify the nature and scope of the crime, they have to walk softly and so should the university.

Now, this brings into question how aggressively the police are pursuing the case.  I wouldn't assume that something along those lines wouldn't be a very high priority, but that does seem like a pretty long time to investigate and still not bring any charges.  I can get the unnamed student athletes frustration.

The most important aspect is the victim getting the support and help she needs.  Closure won't make it go away, but it will help and should happen ASAP.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, sdsuphilip4 said:

If the players were allowed to continue playing and coaching staff knew the coaching staff should definitely be in hot water. That baing said, as of now it’s not public who the 5 scummy people are so its hard to have definite stances here. Who knows if they are even at the school anymore

According to the article, the one player named when the incident was reported was a senior at the time and has graduated. I’m not condoning the school’s delay at all, but apparently the other accused persons were never named by the accusers, neither of whom were actually present at the party and were conveying second-hand info. Doesn’t sound like an easy thing to investigate. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 6/3/2022 at 1:11 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If there was as much physical evidence as indicated, I would think there would have been an immediate arrest.  SDPD just doesn't f-around with this kind of thing.

I'm likewise hanging my hat on Dr. De La Torre.  She strikes me as a person of integrity.  I trust she has acted accordingly.

Nobody knows nuttin' at this point.  Suggest everyone keep their powder dry for a minute.

Still, I hate that this kind of thing has any connection with SDSU athletics whatsoever.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 6/3/2022 at 5:33 PM, SDSUfan said:

If there was as much physical evidence as indicated, I would think there would have been an immediate arrest.  SDPD just doesn't f-around with this kind of thing.

I'm likewise hanging my hat on Dr. De La Torre.  She strikes me as a person of integrity.  I trust she has acted accordingly.

Nobody knows nuttin' at this point.  Suggest everyone keep their powder dry for a minute.

Still, I hate that this kind of thing has any connection with SDSU athletics whatsoever.

Only 30% of rape victims will go to the police or cooperate with a police investigation.  

Sorry, I am not trying to upset SDSU fans or talk bad about your school, it can happen anywhere, but not suspending the players seems unconscionably bad.  

I recall an account on twitter accusing Matt Araiza of rape last fall. But the behavior of the account was pretty weird and outlandish and didnt seem like anyone took it seriously...but now I wonder. For the SDPD to tell SDSU to not do their own investigation to not interfere with their ongoing investigation for so long just seems off. If they found no evidence you would think they wouldve said so by now, so why no charges/arrests? Heads could start rolling soon.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:14 PM, Wyobraska said:

I don't understand how schools haven't figured out that the best course of action is being transparent and getting out ahead of this stuff. 

I'm sure one reason is what Steve referred to above, i.e., the protocol created by this biased idiot: https://reason.com/2021/07/14/catherine-lhamon-title-ix-ocr-senate-help-innocent/

If you can believe this, some universities established procedures which prohibited the attorney for accused male students from even cross examining the female accuser. In other words, both no presumption of innocence and no right to face one's accuser. :rolleyes:

It's no secret that Donald J. Trump isn't exactly my favorite person. I also don't think much of Betsy DeVoss. However, Trump canned Lhamon and DeVoss rescinded much of her stupid ass protocol. (Yet Uncle Joe has apparently rehired Lahamon. Just one more example of why I stopped being a Democrat six years ago.)

On 6/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

How would suspending the players for undisclosed reasons in any way compromise the police investigation?  It sounds like the police asked them to not run a parallel investigation, absolutely no reason to not have suspended the players.

And this

"In interviews, Title IX and legal experts said it can be appropriate for schools to comply with police requests to delay investigations but that it was troubling that San Diego State has held off on taking action for nearly an entire academic year. They noted that the university is obligated to investigate to ensure the safety and civil rights of students and employees. Though a campus can temporarily delay an investigation in compliance with a law enforcement request, it’s at the university’s discretion whether to do so and to determine for how long, they said."

Supposedly at least 4 of these guys are still at the university.. this is not good.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, sdsuphilip4 said:

I read that there was one senior, and 4 freshmen..

Apparently, the only reason this has come to light now is that there are female student athletes who are scared, and concerned for their safety, as well as the safety of other women. They are frustrated that nothing has been done to this point.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:11 PM, 4UNLV said:

Supposedly at least 4 of these guys are still at the university.. this is not good.

I read that there was one senior, and 4 freshmen..

Apparently, the only reason this has come to light now is that there are female student athletes who are scared, and concerned for their safety, as well as the safety of other women. They are frustrated that nothing has been done to this point.

Yeah, the more I dig into the more I think "+++++ SDSU, THE LEADERSHIP AND COACHES"

Not suspending the players from the team is the most disgusting thing to happen in the MWC since its inception.  And that might not be even close to the worst of it.

If what seems more likely than not is true. every coach should be fired, the AD should be fired, their president should be fired.

We are talking about the brutal (alleged) gang rape of a minor leaving the woman bloody and broken and SDSU coaches shrugging their shoulders.  

+++++ em all.  

On 6/3/2022 at 6:13 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, the more I dig into the more I think "+++++ SDSU, THE LEADERSHIP AND COACHES"

Not suspending the players from the team is the most disgusting thing to happen in the MWC since its inception.  And that might not be even close to the worst of it.

If what seems more likely than not is true. every coach should be fired, the AD should be fired, their president should be fired.

We are talking about the brutal (alleged) gang rape of a minor leaving the woman bloody and broken and SDSU coaches shrugging their shoulders.  

+++++ em all.  

What "digging" have you done other than into your gaping sphincter?

There has been no "cover up".  The police and the university have been acting in concert to ensure the LAW is followed.  Because they've resisted the temptation to grandstand in the press and have been deliberate in their actions, choosing not to adhere to some arbitrary timetable,  isn't evidence of anything other than professionalism.

Maybe in your back ass wards hillbilly shitbox of a state, good ol' lynchin', posse's and mob justice still rule.  Out here in the civilized world, rights, evidence and the rule of law are real things, you know, that pesky "presumption of innocence"  thing.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 6/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, SDSUfan said:

What "digging" have you done other than into your gaping sphincter?

There has been no "cover up".  The police and the university have been acting in concert to ensure the LAW is followed.  Because they've resisted the temptation to grandstand in the press and have been deliberate in their actions, choosing not to adhere to some arbitrary timetable,  isn't evidence of anything other than professionalism.

Maybe in your back ass wards hillbilly shitbox of a state, good ol' lynchin', posse's and mob justice still rule.  Out here in the civilized world, rights, evidence and the rule of law are real things, you know, that pesky "presumption of innocence"  thing.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:13 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

+++++ em all.  

I can't imagine what these women are going through, (you know they know who these 5 are, or if they don't, that might be even worse), knowing they are all still potentially at risk.

For the university to sit back for so long is not good. I get that the PD told them to wait, but for how long do you leave others at risk? Especially with athletes checking in for the summer. I really hope that both the university and police have been doing everything they can, (apparently a rape kit was done? If so, DNA is available) and have not just been sitting on it, hoping it would all go away.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:02 PM, 4UNLV said:

I can't imagine what these women are going through, (you know they know who these 5 are, or if they don't, that might be even worse), knowing they are all still potentially at risk.

For the university to sit back for so long is not good. I get that the PD told them to wait, but for how long do you leave others at risk? Especially with athletes checking in for the summer. I really hope that both the university and police have been doing everything they can, (apparently a rape kit was done? If so, DNA is available) and have not just been sitting on it, hoping it would all go away.

What womEn? To my understanding, there is just one involved. Not only that but she hasn't registered a complaint and no other "woman" or girl has come forward.

Look, sexual assault and battery is vile and if it occurred, all four of the involved "freshmen" should be kicked out of school. However, it sure as heck is taking SDPD a Chuck Long time to come up with enough evidence for an indictment.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:02 PM, 4UNLV said:

Woman.  One Woman.  The  SDSU athlete who is stirring the pot wasn't even at the party. She's spouting hearsay based on rumor. There were, according the the RUMOR going around campus, five attackers but no one has come forward as a witness. Everything at this point is alleged.

Just stop with the alarmist bullcrap. There was one alleged incident involving one alleged victim. There is no evidence of anyone being in any danger. FFS get a goddamn grip.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 6/3/2022 at 7:36 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

A minor was brutally raped by 5 football players "allegedly" and the school allowed them to stay and play on the football team and SDSU fans are acting like everybody else is in the wrong for "jumping to conclusions".

Gross.

I'm sure EVERY school here would have done the same, right?  An alleged gang rape of a minor, yeah let em play and stay on the team, what else could SDSU do?  Their hands were TIED!!   

I’ve never seen anywhere though that they had more than one name (the senior) in either of the second-hand reports of the attack. No one that was actually at the party has come forward. There is a rape kit so if they can get actual names they can nail them.  

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

So, allegedly a minor was raped.  She was unconscious when raped and presumably has no clue who did this to her.  Was there even a rape kit involved so that physical evidence was obtained?  Seems like a difficult case to follow because it's all "he said she said" that brought this to anyone's attention.   Sure there are more than likely names attached to the "1 senior and 4 freshman" but what is there that specifically ties them to the crime that allegedly occurred.  If the police had anything solid to make an arrest it would have been done one would think.  Sure it's a horrible crime that allegedly happened to a minor but, the police are not going to arrest anyone without evidence or eye witnesses that would link them to the crime.  And I may be presumptuous to think they probably don't have that DNA evidence which would slam the perpetrators in jail.

I'm not sure what the SDSU investigation would find that the police haven't found.  You can't kick the 4 freshman off the team or out of school without be willing to pay millions in a lawsuit.  The same goes with the police.  In this case the city of San Diego would be sued for millions.  In the end the victim suffers the most because if she doesn't have the evidence to go after anyone what can she do.

I can't help but think that the truth will be a long time coming and hope justice would hopefully be served sooner rather than later.  Just spouting off some late night opinion.

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers