Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dogday63

Allegations of rape and cover-up at SDSU

Completely sad situation.

Those FB players should have immediately been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

If the Coaching Staff knew and covered up the crime, they should immediately be fired.

I love SDSU Sports, but not at the expense of student safety and/or covering up said crimes.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

We’ve had our fair share of (disgraceful) coverups in Sparta in recent years. NEVER a good look and is ALWAYS damaging to the Athletic Department and, indeed, the university in general. That said, I hope justice prevails here- in whatever form is appropriate…

I’ve always felt rape allegations should be immediately referred to and investigated by the police. The university is not equipped to handle these situations.

However, I don’t disagree on suspending players from the team until allegations have been proven or disproven. If disproven the player should have their scholarship extended by the school and the NCAA.

I'm with Spaztecs, ripple effect and soupslam and I'll add this.

1. How is it that the L.A. Times rather than the SD Union Tribune first divulged this story?

2. Why didn't Brady Hoke and/or someone within SDSU's administration hold a press conference to report this investigation months ago?

3. Why is the administration still refusing to comment even in the slightest?

4. Given the ongoing criminal investigation, how smart was it for SDSU to have just given a scholarship to RB Kenan Christon who was kicked off USC's team for assaulting another student after its opening game last season?

Is it possible the university is so invested in the new stadium that it has been hoping that the cops wouldn't find sufficient evidence for the DA's office to indict the five players? Whatever their motivation, this is a really bad look for SDSU.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:30 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

1. How is it that the L.A. Times rather than the SD Union Tribune first divulged this story?

2. Why didn't Brady Hoke and/or someone within SDSU's administration hold a press conference to report this investigation months ago?

4. Given the ongoing criminal investigation, how smart was it for SDSU to have just given a scholarship to RB Kenan Christon who was kicked off USC's team for assaulting another student after its opening game last season?

Is it possible the university is so invested in the new stadium that it has been hoping that the cops wouldn't find sufficient evidence for the DA's office to indict the five players? Whatever their motivation, this is a really bad look for SDSU.

The LA T and UT are the same paper. They share ownership and staff.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 6/3/2022 at 10:30 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

According to the article SDPD asked the University to not take any actions that would compromise the investigation.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, SDSUfan said:

The LA T and UT are the same paper. They share ownership and staff.

They share ownership but the byline in the U-T is crediting the LA Times. Then both of the reporters' bios list them as with the LAT not the U-T.

Perhaps there was a little political distancing done to not cause problems for other U-T coverage of SDSU.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, dshawfan said:

According to the article SDPD asked the University to not take any actions that would compromise the investigation.

Then there's the aspect of dragging folks that are mentioned but not involved.  

This just really stinks. Very disappointing.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Title IX is a guilty until proven guilty deal, best the cops handle it. 

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

On 6/3/2022 at 11:14 AM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

oh man this is really bad if it's all true.   If the coaching staff knew every one of them needs to be canned. 

Why? If the SDPD has told the University to do nothing while the investigation is ongoing then everyone's hands are tied. 

My question is why has the investigation taken this long? It's not a good look for anyone.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:55 AM, SDSUfan said:

Then there's the aspect of dragging folks that are mentioned but not involved.  

This just really stinks. Very disappointing.

Agree completely. If the school has to sit still until the SDPD concludes the investigation, it just makes the school look bad. The length of the investigation is very puzzling, but as I am not in law enforcement, I have no experience with something of this nature.

Being a father of 3 girls, stuff like this infuriates me. Hoping the investigation will be concluded quickly and that justice will be dispensed as the facts dictate.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:16 PM, dshawfan said:

Why? If the SDPD has told the University to do nothing while the investigation is ongoing then everyone's hands are tied. 

My question is why has the investigation taken this long? It's not a good look for anyone.

How would suspending the players for undisclosed reasons in any way compromise the police investigation?  It sounds like the police asked them to not run a parallel investigation, absolutely no reason to not have suspended the players.

And this

"In interviews, Title IX and legal experts said it can be appropriate for schools to comply with police requests to delay investigations but that it was troubling that San Diego State has held off on taking action for nearly an entire academic year. They noted that the university is obligated to investigate to ensure the safety and civil rights of students and employees. Though a campus can temporarily delay an investigation in compliance with a law enforcement request, it’s at the university’s discretion whether to do so and to determine for how long, they said."

On 6/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

How would suspending the players for undisclosed reasons in any way compromise the police investigation?  It sounds like the police asked them to not run a parallel investigation, absolutely no reason to not have suspended the players.

And this

"In interviews, Title IX and legal experts said it can be appropriate for schools to comply with police requests to delay investigations but that it was troubling that San Diego State has held off on taking action for nearly an entire academic year. They noted that the university is obligated to investigate to ensure the safety and civil rights of students and employees. Though a campus can temporarily delay an investigation in compliance with a law enforcement request, it’s at the university’s discretion whether to do so and to determine for how long, they said."

So do you comply w the PD, or at some point do you tell the PD, "hey you've had enough time, we have to do something" Seems like you have to choose one path or the other.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:00 PM, dshawfan said:

So do you comply w the PD, or at some point do you tell the PD, "hey you've had enough time, we have to do something" Seems like you have to choose one path or the other.

I think delaying any internal investigation initially at the request of the PD is standard.  At some point you need to launch your own investigation to ensure you are protecting other students.  IF these accusations are true, these are 5 very dangerous and evil men.

I have absolutely no idea why they were not suspended from the team indefinitely though. That was not at the direction of SDPD.  

On 6/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, steveem said:

Title IX is a guilty until proven guilty deal, best the cops handle it. 

"Kangeroo courts" created by the Dept of Education during the Obama administration no longer exist: https://www.brookings.edu/research/analyzing-the-department-of-educations-final-title-ix-rules-on-sexual-misconduct/ (start reading at the 10 paragraph)

(The rules creating them were so patently violative of basis due process that it's shocking Catherine Lhamon who wrote them actually has the temerity to call herself a lawyer.)

On 6/3/2022 at 12:04 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think delaying any internal investigation initially at the request of the PD is standard.  At some point you need to launch your own investigation to ensure you are protecting other students.  IF these accusations are true, these are 5 very dangerous and evil men.

I have absolutely no idea why they were not suspended from the team indefinitely though. That was not at the direction of SDPD.  

On this I have no idea what the agreement was between the SDPD and SDSU, and as a father of 3 girls, suspending the players involved is my knee jerk reaction, but what if they are innocent of this claim? Does the school then face repercussions from the suspended players? It's a truly ugly situation for all involved, and it seems like the school is damned if they do and damned if they don't.