Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

EV price wars are coming

EV prices look to fall substantially.  But big cost reductions are coming with new battery chemistries that use fewer expensive and scarce precious metals such as nickel and cobalt, he said. Plus, EVs will take less time and labor to build, saving more money, Farley said.

Ford:

Ford CEO sees electric vehicle price war as EV costs decline | AP News

Chevy cuts prices on the Bolt and Bolt SUV  (by a lot)

The New Chevrolet Bolt will be the cheapest electric vehicle in the US - CNN

I don’t see myself buying anything but a Tesla until the legacy car makers put some effort in to their charging stations. I’d like to get a Mach E or a Kia or even a Rivian truck but the majority of times my son has tried a non Tesla charger, they’ve been broken or charge intermittently, at least around campus. Hopefully the electric vehicle infrastructure bill will address this. Until they do, the cheaper electric cars will mainly be relegated to those with a charger in the garage.

The California New Car Dealers Association reported that EVs were 14.6% of all new vehicles sold in the state in Q1 2022. That was up from 9.5% for all of 2021.

Hybrids accounted for another 11.1% of California new car sales in Q1 2022.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:43 PM, NMpackalum said:

I don’t see myself buying anything but a Tesla until the legacy car makers put some effort in to their charging stations. I’d like to get a Mach E or a Kia or even a Rivian truck but the majority of times my son has tried a non Tesla charger, they’ve been broken or charge intermittently, at least around campus. Hopefully the electric vehicle infrastructure bill will address this. Until they do, the cheaper electric cars will mainly be relegated to those with a charger in the garage.

Is every company using a different charger/connection? Getting flashbacks to my first few cell phones where everyone needed a different charger.

Seems like one could make some money selling Tesla charger adapters

On 6/2/2022 at 5:16 AM, misplacedcowboy said:

Is every company using a different charger/connection? Getting flashbacks to my first few cell phones where everyone needed a different charger.

No. Only Tesla. Everyone else is on the same.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:43 PM, NMpackalum said:

Volkswagen is the only other manufacturer doing anything and that is mostly because they have to.

states like California and Oregon are a bit further along, but still have a ways to go.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:15 AM, NVGiant said:

Volkswagen is the only other manufacturer doing anything and that is mostly because they have to.

states like California and Oregon are a bit further along, but still have a ways to go.

My kid has a charge point charger in the garage he parks in at USC. It rarely works and charges like a home 40 amp setup when it does work. He just goes to a Tesla supercharger at a mall every week or two. It is a little anxiety provoking when he drives home through Arizona to NM. Adds about 90 minutes to the drive home to recharge.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:16 AM, misplacedcowboy said:

Tesla doesn’t allow others on it’s charging network yet. They’ve started in Europe though. Selfishly, I hope they don’t. 

On 6/2/2022 at 6:42 AM, NMpackalum said:

My kid has a charge point charger in the garage he parks in at USC. It rarely works and charges like a home 40 amp setup when it does work. He just goes to a Tesla supercharger at a mall every week or two. It is a little anxiety provoking when he drives home through Arizona to NM. Adds about 90 minutes to the drive home to recharge.

Yeah, infrastructure is still the biggest issue. Bend is pretty isolated and not on an interstate, so there is no place to charge in any direction for long stretches. Even a 130 mile trip to Eugene, over the Cascades, can be nerve wracking for EVs with lower range.

As a 2-car family with a house we can charge at home and pair a plug-in hybrid with a full EV. Solves a lot of issues and will keep us from putting gas in our car in all but long road trips. That is, if we ever get our damn cars.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:37 PM, Billings said:

EV prices look to fall substantially.  But big cost reductions are coming with new battery chemistries that use fewer expensive and scarce precious metals such as nickel and cobalt, he said. Plus, EVs will take less time and labor to build, saving more money, Farley said.

Ford:

Ford CEO sees electric vehicle price war as EV costs decline | AP News

Chevy cuts prices on the Bolt and Bolt SUV  (by a lot)

The New Chevrolet Bolt will be the cheapest electric vehicle in the US - CNN

Of course, EV’s are new thus the coolness factor. But 50 years from now, they’ll be as exciting as watching old Lawrence Welk re-runs. People will watch old movies and be drawn to old cool sports cars that make a huge roar while the wheels are screaming with smoke. I’ll bet some EV’s will have speakers simulate an engine roar for those that can’t afford to own a classic with the real thing. 

kat.jpg

On 6/2/2022 at 2:36 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Of course, EV’s are new thus the coolness factor. But 50 years from now, they’ll be as exciting as watching old Lawrence Welk re-runs. People will watch old movies and be drawn to old cool sports cars that make a huge roar while the wheels are screaming with smoke. I’ll bet some EV’s will have speakers simulate an engine roar for those that can’t afford to own a classic with the real thing. 

If boomers lived forever, sure. I haven't met a millennial who has the same kind of boner for cars that about 60% of the people born before 1972 seem to have. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 6/1/2022 at 4:43 PM, NMpackalum said:

yeah...those rivian trucks are pretty awesome...ive seen a couple the last few weeks...but the charging situation is too sketch at this point

On 6/2/2022 at 11:48 AM, happycamper said:

If boomers lived forever, sure. I haven't met a millennial who has the same kind of boner for cars that about 60% of the people born before 1972 seem to have. 

Actually both the M’s and Z’s are.

73D5D44E-61BB-4FA2-943C-5BFD4BC4E264.png.6456b2591921f8e340984f52828e181d.png

https://journal.classiccars.com/2020/07/29/millennials-having-surprising-impact-on-collector-car-hobby/

https://driving.ca/features/feature-story/these-are-the-9-classics-most-millennials-want-to-buy

https://journal.classiccars.com/2020/10/11/millennials-and-zs-eager-to-enter-collector-car-community/

The funny thing is when I was in HS, most of the guys I knew drove cars that are worth over $100,000 now. You could get a decent one for $1,500 to $2,500. My dad almost bought me a 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 for $1,500.

kat.jpg

On 6/1/2022 at 7:55 PM, bornontheblue said:

As soon as they make a full size electric truck they can tow a travel trailer 500 Mile's on one charge, and then recharge in less than 10 minutes I'm in

It is ok to have both an EV and your gas/diesel truck though.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Actually both the M’s and Z’s are.

73D5D44E-61BB-4FA2-943C-5BFD4BC4E264.png.6456b2591921f8e340984f52828e181d.png

https://journal.classiccars.com/2020/07/29/millennials-having-surprising-impact-on-collector-car-hobby/

https://driving.ca/features/feature-story/these-are-the-9-classics-most-millennials-want-to-buy

https://journal.classiccars.com/2020/10/11/millennials-and-zs-eager-to-enter-collector-car-community/

The funny thing is when I was in HS, most of the guys I knew drove cars that are worth over $100,000 now. You could get a decent one for $1,500 to $2,500. My dad almost bought me a 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 for $1,500.

convert. only 64% of millennials own cars. do you honestly think that 89% of car owning millennials want a classic car?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 6/2/2022 at 12:26 PM, happycamper said:

convert. only 64% of millennials own cars. do you honestly think that 89% of car owning millennials want a classic car?

Did you even read the links?

By the way, I never said how many people would be buying these. What I said was that enough will buy enough to make them very expensive as they are today. Boomers will die, but so will cars that get destroyed, eventually rust out if not kept in a dry climate away from salt on roads. 

kat.jpg