Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

Game of Thrones -Prequel

On 8/31/2022 at 11:31 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Daemon is fantastic.  The duality of his character, the complexities of his motivations.  Easily the best character on the show to date.  

Are you looking for an adventurous warrior constantly disappointing his meeker, more responsible older sibling? Would it help if he had conflicting views about justice and morality that when held up against his enemies look absolutely heroic? Let’s make him witty about it to boot.

image.gif.1dec72d313500a9cadeb3b22ea109787.gif 

But let’s not stop there, how about he be deeply conflicted by the expectations of him assigned at birth. He rebels in every way, unable to understand why the incestuous apple of his eye craves power more than anything. Let’s make him equal parts wicked and confusingly noble.

image.gif.9f81a67577795694a765b8adb607a3c5.gif

Do not screw this character up.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 8/31/2022 at 3:33 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Are you looking for an adventurous warrior constantly disappointing his meeker, more responsible older sibling? Would it help if he had conflicting views about justice and morality that when held up against his enemies look absolutely heroic? Let’s make him witty about it to boot.

image.gif.1dec72d313500a9cadeb3b22ea109787.gif 

But let’s not stop there, how about he be deeply conflicted by the expectations of him assigned at birth. He rebels in every way, unable to understand why the incestuous apple of his eye craves power more than anything. Let’s make him equal parts wicked and confusingly noble.

image.gif.9f81a67577795694a765b8adb607a3c5.gif

Do not screw this character up.

Spoiler

During the preview of this weeks episode it looked like the dragon was Syrax that was coming to his aid against crab feeding dude.  

On 8/31/2022 at 3:03 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:
  Hide contents

During the preview of this weeks episode it looked like the dragon was Syrax that was coming to his aid against crab feeding dude.  

Being a badass and having a badass dragon as well helps.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:31 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Daemon is fantastic.  The duality of his character, the complexities of his motivations.  Easily the best character on the show to date.  

The casting of Matt Smit his great too. He is a fantastic actor and handsome but looks like he could be a bit inbred.

On 8/31/2022 at 4:16 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Being a badass and having a badass dragon as well helps.

Spoiler

Syrax is Rhanerya's dragon, so it looks based on that short shot that she comes to his rescue when the crab guy has him on the roes.  At least that is my prediction.

On 8/31/2022 at 5:16 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:
  Hide contents

Syrax is Rhanerya's dragon, so it looks based on that short shot that she comes to his rescue when the crab guy has him on the roes.  At least that is my prediction.

Sounds reasonable. Cut to nerd rage that it didn’t happen like that The good thing about Martin’s short stories about the era is that it’s mostly all plot points. Plenty of room to fill in the story originally, unlike GoT.

On 8/31/2022 at 6:52 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sounds reasonable. Cut to nerd rage that it didn’t happen like that The good thing about Martin’s short stories about the era is that it’s mostly all plot points. Plenty of room to fill in the story originally, unlike GoT.

Very similar to the new LOTR series.  More themes and broad plots that lead to a lot of creative interpretation.  

On 8/31/2022 at 6:00 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Very similar to the new LOTR series.  More themes and broad plots that lead to a lot of creative interpretation.  

I’ll try that one too. Not as steeped in the lore in that world but Tolkien could build a world. Let’s see if they can make it come alive.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, tspoke said:

Like Lawlor, I read the story this is gonna be based on. Well really not a story, it was written like a history book not a story but whatever. It has potential to be really good. Lots of cool stuff happening lots of major battles with lots of dragons. It is the beginning of the end of the Targaryeons in Westeros. 

Not sure if Prequel is the right way to think about it. Just another story from the history of Westeros that takes place a couple hundered years before gae of thrones. It has the same family's and locations but not really connected too much to that story.

The Daemon or Cole thing was handled well. Nice set for the spikes to come.

On 9/12/2022 at 2:49 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

The Daemon or Cole thing was handled well. Nice set for the spikes to come.

Spoiler

The maester stopping by with the unrequested abortion tea was a solid scene. Rhaenyra was like WTF is this?

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 9/20/2022 at 11:11 AM, AZdogFan said:

I've really been enjoying it so far. Curious to see how the Rhaenyra/Alicent replacements do moving forward.

Still having a hard time getting over the fact that these two are the same guy though:

image.png.a667982a969ad92d9bcb2714247d8164.png image.png.bd5cd9efbb44802bb8d7e72ba60e0d41.png

Whoa! Now that’s a career.

Maybe I hold the first few seasons of the original GOT in too high of regard, but House of Dragon so far is good but it isn't great. 

In the original GOT we had the Starks and Tyrion to centralize the story and many great side characters like Jamie, Joffrey, Cersei, Hound, etc 

I was hoping they would harness more of the GOT seasons 1-4 vibe, but so far it's more of a season 7 feeling for me. Good action but the pacing and character development is just meh. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 9/20/2022 at 12:37 PM, Rebels18 said:

Maybe I hold the first few seasons of the original GOT in too high of regard, but House of Dragon so far is good but it isn't great. 

In the original GOT we had the Starks and Tyrion to centralize the story and many great side characters like Jamie, Joffrey, Cersei, Hound, etc 

I was hoping they would harness more of the GOT seasons 1-4 vibe, but so far it's more of a season 7 feeling for me. Good action but the pacing and character development is just meh. 

The base material isn’t as good. There is no mystery. No looming supernatural apocalypse. Too many characters to set up. For all that they’ve done pretty well. The young actresses that will get replaced did a good job.

Remember that GoT season 1 wasn’t anything like seasons 3-4. It wasn’t until Blackwater at the end of season 2 that Thrones became THRONES. Jaime was almost nonexistent for the first two years. Tywin had maybe two scenes in season 1. Stannis just loomed over the story without ever appearing.

Give it time. We haven’t even met the little jerk kids yet. And once it gets going, it’s all Blackwater/Battle of the Bastards.

On 9/20/2022 at 12:56 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

The base material isn’t as good. There is no mystery. No looming supernatural apocalypse. Too many characters to set up. For all that they’ve done pretty well. The young actresses that will get replaced did a good job.

Remember that GoT season 1 wasn’t anything like seasons 3-4. It wasn’t until Blackwater at the end of season 2 that Thrones became THRONES. Jaime was almost nonexistent for the first two years. Tywin had maybe two scenes in season 1. Stannis just loomed over the story without ever appearing.

Give it time. We haven’t even met the little jerk kids yet. And once it gets going, it’s all Blackwater/Battle of the Bastards.

Hope so. Episode 5 had some wacked out OG Game of Thrones sh*t like dude's face getting turned into hamburger but some of the plot advancement was a little soap opera-ish.  Still a pretty good show. I'm looking forward to next week. 

Maybe it's okay if it's not exactly peak GOT. Maybe it has a different voice and vibe. It can still be really good, but different.