Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Today's mass shooting is.............

On 5/25/2022 at 11:29 AM, SharkTanked said:

Our politics is about "winning." It is not about solutions. This was not a new idea proposed by Trump, he just communicated what was already happening. Politicians are a reflection of ourselves. The fact that we elect them is deserving of a long look in the mirror.

I want to buy you a beer and hug you for saying this. 

One of the best statements regarding modern politics ever said on this board. 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, bornontheblue said:

The shooting yesterday didn't happen at a school or a church. 

We can do t without making schools look like a federal penitentiary. 

You aren't interested in realistic solutions either. You are using these dead kids as an opportunity to yell at the other team. Shameful. 

You aren't interested in a realistic solution because it would involve gun restrictions and background checks.  The fact is that elementary schools aren't the only place where mass shootings happen so you really have no solution at all.  

Posted Image

On 5/25/2022 at 11:28 AM, AztecAlien said:

I know most of people's sentiment will be glad that horrible person that killed innocent children, teachers, destroyed families, friends and an entire community met their demise. I feel it too. But there will be many questions that go unanswered in an effort to try and find out why these school shootings are happening. Look at the age of the people who commit most of the school shootings. Do we blame guns, metal illness, psychiatric medication, family values, glorification of violence or possibly THE INTERNET? I believe it's all connected and it gets swept under the rug.

The rhetoric on social media, the MSM and places like this board are dangerous. Divided We Will Fall. 

I was thinking about this very thing.  School mass shootings really didn't become a major thing until the late 90's after the internet became a big thing....

On 5/25/2022 at 11:32 AM, bornontheblue said:

We can add multiple levels of security around school buildings using physical barriers, and protocol. This could be implemented quickly, 

Society will not come to an agreement on a solution as it relates to guns, so we have to find a solution in the near term that will work in the near term. Do you support this or are you just going to demand it be  the my teams way or nothing approach? 

Do kids need to go through metal detectors and get a pat down every day too?  How do you stop students from putting a gun in their backpacks like Columbine and many other school shootings?

Posted Image

It’s amazing to me that we are still having this debate. The only solution is escape. The only solution is for America - an immoral, broken nation built on atrocity - to no longer exist. Short of that you can expect more children to be murdered. 

On 5/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, bornontheblue said:

We can add multiple levels of security around school buildings using physical barriers, and protocol. This could be implemented quickly, 

Society will not come to an agreement on a solution as it relates to guns, so we have to find a solution in the near term that will work in the near term. Do you support this or are you just going to demand it be  the my teams way or nothing approach? 

Sure, barricade kids in school...then they will just be shot in movie theaters, malls, and other public spaces...stop ignoring the real issue. Its not an accident that since Colt lost its AR15 copyright other gun makers have been making a ton of them and mass shooting have gotten worse ever since except the decade they were banned. I care about solutions to the issue, I'm not permanently wedded to either party's opinion on anything. I look at a problem and I want to solve it, how about you?

On 5/25/2022 at 1:42 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

It’s amazing to me that we are still having this debate. The only solution is escape. The only solution is for America - an immoral, broken nation built on atrocity - to no longer exist. Short of that you can expect more children to be murdered. 

Unfortunately that treatment would be worse than the disease. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:35 AM, Akkula said:

You aren't interested in a realistic solution because it would involve gun restrictions and background checks.  The fact is that elementary schools aren't the only place where mass shootings happen so you really have no solution at all.  

I am for solutions that will not allow crazed lunatics with guns anywhere near children at a school. 

You are all team politics and using dead children to make unrealistic political demands. 

Why should we waste even one minute in a shit flinging contest fighting about what we will never agree on in the first place.,  and instead implement practical solutions that we can agree on.  Fighting for complete and total political victory , aka teams and shit,   won't even let us do that. 

On 5/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, bornontheblue said:

I have said repeatedly that we can design systems to prevent random people from getting near children in school buildings, without making it look like a federal penitentiary. We could outfit every school in the country with a very high level of security in a very short time period if we were determined enough. 

Guns can do a lot of things, but they cannot let you walk through a well secured door, or even shoot through well secured doors. 

How does that work for schools that are broken up until multiple different buildings? 

More background on the shooter:

"The gunman in Tuesday’s elementary school massacre was a lonely 18-year-old who was bullied over a childhood speech impediment, suffered from a fraught home life and lashed out violently against peers and strangers recently and over the years, friends and relatives said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/25/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-gunman/

On 5/25/2022 at 10:44 AM, bornontheblue said:

I am for solutions that will not allow crazed lunatics with guns anywhere near children at a school. 

You are all team politics and using dead children to make unrealistic political demands. 

Why should we waste even one minute in a shit flinging contest fighting about what we will never agree on in the first place.,  and instead implement practical solutions that we can agree on.  Fighting for complete and total political victory , aka teams and shit,   won't even let us do that. 

This is true because people like you make it true. We went to the +++++ing moon, but getting real about ARs? Cant be done. lol.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:44 AM, retrofade said:

How does that work for schools that are broken up until multiple different buildings? 

A security system that controls points of access through secure wi fi. It can be done without making kids feel like they are in prison. 

I used to work for Cradlepoint here in Boise, now part of Siemens.  I was the accountant so I only briefly understand the technology. We used our technology to help companies control facilities from anywhere on the planet with secure Wi FI, or 4g or 5g cell service. You are an IT guy, you know this can be done. 

Demanding gun legislation that is never going to happen is a waste of time. 

I think part of the problem with the gun control discussion is the search for "solutions." There is nothing that would solve the problem, which is what the gun supporters draw on to derail any changes. All we can do is attempt to decrease the likelihood of it happening.

The language needs to be changed to reflect the reality. And it needs to be flipped from individual protection to the protection of society. Helping to protect the innocent doesn't mean putting guns in the hands of good guys. It means making it much more difficult to put guns in any hands.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:47 AM, AztecSU said:

This is true because people like you make it true. We went to the +++++ing moon, but getting real about ARs? Cant be done. lol.

Back in the 60's everyone pretty much supported going to the moon and celebrated the achievement. 

There is not societal wide support for banning Ar-15's and would be violence if they were bans, or confiscations. It is unrealistic to expect this. 

Apples and Fire trucks.