Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Today's mass shooting is.............

On 5/27/2022 at 11:08 AM, Nevada Convert said:

I feel super safe with our Federal One Man Swat Team.

D1E066AF-F50B-4ABD-AF01-25266A3836D1.jpeg.3235c34539abc88b61a7cc7a0988c7b1.jpeg

whats really +++++ed is that demented ass joe with a fly swatter probably would have done more damage than the +++++ing Uvalde police did, at least in the first hour of the episode...lol

On 5/26/2022 at 7:24 PM, sactowndog said:

With one exception, the top 10 gun death per capita states are all red. The exception is Illinois and the main reason or perhaps only reason for that is the total shithole which is Chicago whose city government is a complete disaster.

IIRC, Texas is 16th worst and maybe somebody can clue Greg Abbott in that California with its strict gun laws is 28th worst.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:09 PM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

the SWAT team never arrived and local police also prevented a responding border patrol tactical team from going in for an extended period of time. 

What ever happened to the lone border patrol guy that “went in without backup and killed the gunman but was wounded?”  Was that just a Michael Bay wet dream?

On 5/27/2022 at 12:59 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I'm in the LV area often for business or pleasure and I can't remember the last time I heard anyone criticize California except when they're joking. (Can't speak for Reno metro area since I'm rarely there.)

On the other thing, since Ukiah is the county seat for Mendocino County, there should be plenty of deputy sheriffs there to supplement the police department and, as I believe is the case with every county in California, they have a SWAT team. Here's a photo:

image.jpeg.a0a2bd5a4c76904fb76c621871f7e7a2.jpeg

Why the county in which Uvalde is located didn't have a county SWAT team to call in is beyond me.

They probably don't bitch about Californian's in front of you, but it probably happens. Probably less so in Vegas than Reno, but it happens in both. I'm sure most, if not all of the other Nevada fans will agree with that. 

I picked Ukiah based on population, but if it's a county seat, then it's possible that it has a SWAT team, but more likely than not, the SWAT team is made up of members of the regular police force who have additional training. e Uvalde apparently does have a SWAT team (again, probably just their regular officers), according to the Uvalde PD FB page (and they're rightfully getting hammered in the comments section). This post even touts the fact that they were visiting schools in Uvalde, which is sad in and of itself in light of what happened. Any way you slice it, the response by the police wasn't great by any measure, so don't mistake my posts as arguing that it was....just trying to keep misinformation from going around. 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:41 AM, Akkula said:

Good... AR15s should probably be outlawed based on all the mass shootings they have been involved in.  I will stake out that position and perhaps if you convince me I can moderate.  We just need to do the same things Republicans do.  If you start out with a more maximalist position then what you wanted to do all along can be called "moderate."

Give us the specific method YOU would use to coerce someone with a gun, that was just declared illegal, to give up that gun.

Let's think this thru.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:54 PM, SharkTanked said:

It is. And it is under attack. However I wouldn't put it all on the GOP. We are solidly blue and the union has completely screwed our District. Funding gets spent on a bloated Admin and the union has done nothing to improve the pay or working conditions for teachers. They are complicit with the powers, which do not have the interest of teachers in mind. They hold hands while everyone suffers.

I'm generally a supporter of labor unions. However, at least in California the teachers unions do as much bad as good. Consider this.

The percentage of UC and CSU instructors who are "adjunct" rather than on a tenure track has increased dramatically over the last few decades. It all comes down to money. Adjunct professors are ineligible for pensions, sabbatical leaves and the like so the UC and CSU hire more and more of them. In order to achieve tenure, it takes seven years of college and then seven years on the tenure track during which professors have the "pressure to publish" plus doing extracurricular activities within the community. Then there are K-12 public school teachers. The vast majority of them have just five years of college and are eligible to obtain tenure and, in California, it takes . . . TWO years during which they don't have to get a single article published anywhere. After that it is almost impossible to fire them for incompetence.

California teachers should definitely be paid more. However, the California education code needs to be changed to make it easier to can worthless "educators" of which there are many.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:14 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

With one exception, the top 10 gun death per capita states are all red. The exception is Illinois and the main reason or perhaps only reason for that is the total shithole which is Chicago whose city government is a complete disaster.

IIRC, Texas is 16th worst and maybe somebody can clue Greg Abbott in that California with its strict gun laws is 28th worst.

There were 39,707 deaths from firearms in the U.S. in 2019. Sixty percent of deaths from firearms in the U.S. are suicides. In 2019, 23,941 people in the U.S. died by firearm suicide.1 Firearms are the means in approximately half of suicides nationwide.

In 2019, 14,861 people in the U.S. died from firearm homicide, accounting for 37% of total deaths from firearms. Firearms were the means for about 75% of homicides in 2018.

The other 3% of firearm deaths are unintentional, undetermined, from legal intervention, or from public mass shootings (0.2% of total firearm deaths).

There are approximately 115,000 non-fatal firearm injuries in the U.S. each year.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/what-you-can-do/facts.html

Given the relatively small population of "red" states, suicides will skew the numbers.

The fact is that must gun homicides occur in deep blue cities and even then only in a relatively small geographic area within those cities.  Also a fact that "assault wepons" are a small percetage of gun deaths. Most murders are carried out with handguns.

3,800 People Shot in Chicago Through End of November as Violence Spikes 50% From 2019

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/3800-people-shot-in-chicago-through-end-of-november-as-violence-spikes-50-from-2019/2384074/

New Orleans murders in 2019: Explore a map of the killings

https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orleans-murders-in-2019-explore-a-map-of-the-killings-and-names-of-each-victim/30900679#

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 5/27/2022 at 11:34 AM, Slapdad said:

I'll add my $0.02...again. I think everything that he mentioned in the video has been discussed here and most people here agree on them. I know that I have posted that I agree that it makes sense to ban (or severely limit) assault rifles and high capacity mags (and bump stocks and similar products whose aim is to circumvent automatic weapons bans), but the other things in his rant that he seems to discount need to be addressed too. Video games, fatherlessness, locked doors in schools....all of that needs to be addressed as does being involved in your child's life and being nosy to know what they're doing, and making sure kids get mental help even if they think they don't need or want it. This isn't only a problem of access to assault weapons, but also a culture problem and that is arguably the bigger problem. 

I agree that we can do better. I think some things need change to help bring about change though and some of that would be a grass roots movement in how we all engage with each other because the way things are now, each side is just digging their heels in more and more each time this stuff happens. Every time there is a shooting, the abortion whataboutisms start or the "+++++ your thoughts and prayers" or the cries that politicians don't care about our kids being shot and killed, which absolutely absurd. And what's the reaction? To dig in and become defensive. That's just human nature. Both approaches are unproductive. And this happens both ways. When abortion is the (real) topic, the right calls out the left for not caring about the killing of babies when we all know that the decision to have an abortion isn't about killing babies, but the same thing happens and everyone digs in and becomes defensive and compromise becomes impossible. 

And for what it's worth, I have contacted one representative and plan on sending more emails....not to demand change, but to ask for them to seek a middle ground. 

I believe it goes even deeper into a culture issue.  There is a societal problem where people are constantly chasing money because they have to or they want the latest shit.  

Too many parents have to dump their kids off at daycare and then barely even see their kids once they get home.  This happens once kids go to school as well.  

With all the advances in technology and with the US supposedly such a great place, why is there such a small amount of time spent on family and community time?

Parents get 2-4 weeks with their baby after they are born if they are lucky.  There should be a minimum of 6 months and I could even see a year for the mother.  

Corporations and a lot of businesses don't care about their local communities.  People are so busy from work and trying to raise kids that very few have time to have a positive impact in the community.  

Our values as a culture are +++++ed up.  Social media has made it even worse.  There are many more things besides these but I'm on my phone and tired of typing.  

On 5/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, Jackrabbit said:

Give us the specific method YOU would use to coerce someone with a gun, that was just declared illegal, to give up that gun.

Let's think this thru.

How did they get all the machine guns off the street that were wreaking havoc in the olden days?  It can take decades but ever year was an improvement.  Now machine guns are a novelty that are very expensive and rarely used in crimes when they used to be the gangster gun of choice.  

Step one is to put really high bars up on the transfer...just like on machine guns

Step two is a gun buyback where anyone who doesn't want to do go through the hoops can sell back their guns

After that once a gun owner transfers a gun illegally they become a "bad guy with a gun" who committed a felony.

Hopefully all the other "gun nuts" will retreat to their Idaho compounds with their guns safely stashed away waiting for the feds to invade them.  At that point, we shouldn't really have many mass shootings. 

Posted Image

On 5/27/2022 at 12:31 PM, SDSUfan said:

There were 39,707 deaths from firearms in the U.S. in 2019. Sixty percent of deaths from firearms in the U.S. are suicides. In 2019, 23,941 people in the U.S. died by firearm suicide.1 Firearms are the means in approximately half of suicides nationwide.

In 2019, 14,861 people in the U.S. died from firearm homicide, accounting for 37% of total deaths from firearms. Firearms were the means for about 75% of homicides in 2018.

The other 3% of firearm deaths are unintentional, undetermined, from legal intervention, or from public mass shootings (0.2% of total firearm deaths).

There are approximately 115,000 non-fatal firearm injuries in the U.S. each year.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/what-you-can-do/facts.html

Given the relatively small population of "red" states, suicides will skew the numbers.

The fact is that must gun homicides occur in deep blue cities and even then only in a relatively small geographic area within those cities.  Also a fact that "assault wepons" are a small percetage of gun deaths. Most murders are carried out with handguns.

3,800 People Shot in Chicago Through End of November as Violence Spikes 50% From 2019

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/3800-people-shot-in-chicago-through-end-of-november-as-violence-spikes-50-from-2019/2384074/

New Orleans murders in 2019: Explore a map of the killings

https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orleans-murders-in-2019-explore-a-map-of-the-killings-and-names-of-each-victim/30900679#

My plan will also solve the "Chicago" problem you cons are so deeply concerned about as ell.  

Posted Image

On 5/27/2022 at 11:09 AM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

the SWAT team never arrived and local police also prevented a responding border patrol tactical team from going in for an extended period of time. 

As I said yesterday, it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that the Uvalde chief of police and/or mayor didn't try to dissuade outside law enforcement from taking over. Local yokels like nothing more than to prove how macho they are in stifling crime - even when they have almost no relevant training in comparison to the outsiders.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:37 AM, Wyobraska said:

I believe it goes even deeper into a culture issue.  There is a societal problem where people are constantly chasing money because they have to or they want the latest shit. 

Most parents of public school students chase money as you call it out of necessity.

Maybe if people were willing to pay an extra 25% for food and the minimum wage was raised a like amount the number of them working two menial jobs would diminish and they'd have more time to spend with the kids.

Having said that, I'll add this. Maybe if people stopped having more kids than they can afford, that would help a lot too.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:41 AM, Akkula said:

My plan will also solve the "Chicago" problem you cons are so deeply concerned about as ell.  

You don't have a "plan". Go away. This is as conversation for Americans. 

Shouldn't you be somewhere butchering Ukrainians?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 5/27/2022 at 8:24 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

I'm generally a supporter of labor unions. However, at least in California the teachers unions do as much bad as good. Consider this.

The percentage of UC and CSU instructors who are "adjunct" rather than on a tenure track has increased dramatically over the last few decades. It all comes down to money. Adjunct professors are ineligible for pensions, sabbatical leaves and the like so the UC and CSU hire more and more of them. In order to achieve tenure, it takes seven years of college and then seven years on the tenure track during which professors have the "pressure to publish" plus doing extracurricular activities within the community. Then there are K-12 public school teachers. The vast majority of them have just five years of college and are eligible to obtain tenure and, in California, it takes . . . TWO years during which they don't have to get a single article published anywhere. After that it is almost impossible to fire them for incompetence.

California teachers should definitely be paid more. However, the California education code needs to be changed to make it easier to can worthless "educators" of which there are many.

You expect k-12 teachers to publish and do research or is that k-12 teachers who teach one or two college classes?.  Last district I taught in in Montana had fired several teachers and let a couple go before they were tenured.   Part of the problem is the shortage of teachers and  you might have a difficult time even filling an open position in some areas.