Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Today's mass shooting is.............

On 5/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, SharkTanked said:

Ok. So because he used the term "assault weapon" it invalidates the very policy positions you previously agreed with? I have a tough time understanding that position.

Yes. which of these is an "assault weapon"?

A

image.png.536a5fe20981cca9bf1569f5569c2818.png

or B

image.png.1724500529060b8b944af53fc542faa3.png

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 5/27/2022 at 7:41 AM, CPslograd said:

There are lots of reasonable people on this issue.  

I do think a lot of pro gun control people are really gun grabbers even if they don’t come out and say it.

I also think the gun industry and many gun users have fetishized black guns in an irresponsible and unhealthy way.  It’s like targeting teens with alcohol and tobacco sales.  Of course a shotgun would have killed those kids in the classroom just as easily, but I think AR 15s do appeal to the mentally ill and psychotic people in a way traditional firearms don’t.  And the super low recoil and ability to spray a lot of bullets with .223 rifles cause a unique set of problems in cases like this.

im not calling for banning AR15s, but I do think some restrictions are appropriate, and the gun industry is irresponsible in their marketing of them.

I love these terms you use "gun grabber."  What exactly does that mean?

Do you expect that if we keep having mass killings after "Feel good" gun laws without teeth that people won't want to take further steps to stop the bloodshed?  If so I guess, I am a "gun grabber."

"Gun grabber" is anyone who wants to do anything it seems.  At the end of the day if the murders don't stop then we will have to get tougher and tougher until we are in line with other modern democracies. 

I could really give a shit if people have arsenals as long as they are not bothering other people.  The unfortunate part is that the proliferation of guns is leading to those people outside of the gun owners getting mowed down. 

Posted Image

On 5/27/2022 at 11:19 AM, Akkula said:

Do you expect that if we keep having mass killings after "Feel good" gun laws without teeth that people won't want to take further steps to stop the bloodshed?  If so I guess, I am a "gun grabber."

"Gun grabber" is anyone who wants to do anything it seems.  At the end of the day if the murders don't stop then we will have to get tougher and tougher until we are in line with other modern democracies. 

I could really give a shit if people have arsenals as long as they are not bothering other people.  The unfortunate part is that the proliferation of guns is leading to those people outside of the gun owners getting mowed down. 

Gun grabber is what it is.  Those who advocate for violating the 4th amendment and seizing tens of millions of pieces of private property.  Nothing more, nothing less.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:36 PM, SharkTanked said:

Does this not distill the noise to the real issue at hand?

Can we agree on what he is saying?

If so, can we not advocate for some common sense compromise that will at least have some impact on this ever happening again?

Would like the thoughts of @bornontheblue @Aslowhiteguy @SDSUfan @Slapdad and whoever wants to discuss. 

We can do better, but if we do nothing, we will keep getting the same results. 

And yes you have a voice. Use it to contact your representative. Demand change. 

I'll add my $0.02...again. I think everything that he mentioned in the video has been discussed here and most people here agree on them. I know that I have posted that I agree that it makes sense to ban (or severely limit) assault rifles and high capacity mags (and bump stocks and similar products whose aim is to circumvent automatic weapons bans), but the other things in his rant that he seems to discount need to be addressed too. Video games, fatherlessness, locked doors in schools....all of that needs to be addressed as does being involved in your child's life and being nosy to know what they're doing, and making sure kids get mental help even if they think they don't need or want it. This isn't only a problem of access to assault weapons, but also a culture problem and that is arguably the bigger problem. 

I agree that we can do better. I think some things need change to help bring about change though and some of that would be a grass roots movement in how we all engage with each other because the way things are now, each side is just digging their heels in more and more each time this stuff happens. Every time there is a shooting, the abortion whataboutisms start or the "+++++ your thoughts and prayers" or the cries that politicians don't care about our kids being shot and killed, which absolutely absurd. And what's the reaction? To dig in and become defensive. That's just human nature. Both approaches are unproductive. And this happens both ways. When abortion is the (real) topic, the right calls out the left for not caring about the killing of babies when we all know that the decision to have an abortion isn't about killing babies, but the same thing happens and everyone digs in and becomes defensive and compromise becomes impossible. 

And for what it's worth, I have contacted one representative and plan on sending more emails....not to demand change, but to ask for them to seek a middle ground. 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:25 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Gun grabber is what it is.  Those who advocate for violating the 4th amendment and seizing tens of millions of pieces of private property.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Private property may be taken by the government with just compensation, no?  I mean that would be the "easy" way to do it.  The hard way would just be to say that these guns are illegal and anyone in possession would get put in jail, etc.  I mean it would be within the constitution to ban the transfer and distribution of certain classes of firearms just like they did with machine guns, no?  I mean they are going to call us "gun grabbers" anyway.  

I mean these are all possible outcomes that would fall within the constitution as long as you had the right partisans on the supreme court. 

Posted Image

On 5/27/2022 at 11:19 AM, Akkula said:

Beto specifically said " I am coming for your ar15."

Picture cops going door to door using the NICS data ATF promise to discard (and still has) years ago.  You have any idea how much bloodshed this would involve?

On 5/27/2022 at 11:37 AM, Akkula said:

Private property may be taken by the government with just compensation, no?  I mean that would be the "easy" way to do it.  The hard way would just be to say that these guns are illegal and anyone in possession would get put in jail, etc.  I mean it would be within the constitution to ban the transfer and distribution of certain classes of firearms just like they did with machine guns, no?  I mean they are going to call us "gun grabbers" anyway.  

I mean these are all possible outcomes that would fall within the constitution as long as you had the right partisans on the supreme court. 

This is after all your wet dream??

On 5/27/2022 at 11:38 AM, Jackrabbit said:

Beto specifically said " I am coming for your ar15."

Picture cops going door to door using the NICS data ATF promise to discard (and still has) years ago.  You have any idea how much bloodshed this would involve?

Good... AR15s should probably be outlawed based on all the mass shootings they have been involved in.  I will stake out that position and perhaps if you convince me I can moderate.  We just need to do the same things Republicans do.  If you start out with a more maximalist position then what you wanted to do all along can be called "moderate."

Posted Image

On 5/27/2022 at 11:38 AM, Jackrabbit said:

This is after all your wet dream??

Yes, my wet dream is to have the same levels of mass shootings and gun homicides that the rest of the world has.  I am not apologizing for it either.

Posted Image

On 5/27/2022 at 7:17 AM, SharkTanked said:

The act of defending yourself is to shoot a person. With a handgun you are probably more likely to injure?

But I think we need to state what "defense" in such terms as home and self means in the context of guns. Defense means to maim or kill a person. That is its purpose. 

Now we’re just getting into silly semantics. If an intruder is in your house, you don’t know if that intruder’s intent includes the option of killing you or your family. The quickest and most effective way of neutralizing that threat is with a firearm. In shooting this person, whether the intruder dies or not has a lot to do with luck and how aggressive the home owner is in neutralizing the intruder. Laws on the books in every state should (and I believe most are) very clear in terms of self defense by use of a lethal firearm whether it’s the Castle Doctrine or something similar. 

A lot of problems with gun issues is lawmakers and the general population that don’t know much of anything about guns. The politicians take advantage of that and are dishonest about using certain terminology.

Examples of worthless propaganda:

1. Limiting rifle magazines to 10 pages rather than 30 pages will make a huge difference in saving lives.

2. Saying that the Castle Doctrine is just another example of where the wealthiest Americans get to protect their Castles legally while it’s the every day middle class homes that really deserve to be protected and can’t be legally.

3. Understanding guns better and how they kill, more research need to be done to understand gun tendencies. Perhaps assigning pronouns to guns would be a good starting point towards understanding how they think.

Alright, those are obviously jokes.

kat.jpg

On 5/26/2022 at 6:25 PM, Slapdad said:

Texas has Police at the municipal level, both Sheriffs and Constables at the County level, State Troopers at the state level and Texas Rangers also at the state level, but they operate at a higher level than troopers (and the others). Your comment was only about the Texas Rangers, so that is what I commented on. Either way, I wouldn't say that Texas is incompetent regarding police force, but a town of 16k like Uvalde with little to no crime to speak of just isn't going to have a huge presence of police, much like you wouldn't find a big presence of police in Ukiah, CA....it just isn't going to happen and regional officers (sheriff) will take time to get there. 

As far as Nevada not hating California......you might want to check your math on that. Everyone there outside of those who came from Cali complain about Californian's coming and bringing the problems of Cali with them, so that map seems pretty accurate. 

I'm in the LV area often for business or pleasure and I can't remember the last time I heard anyone criticize California except when they're joking. (Can't speak for Reno metro area since I'm rarely there.)

On the other thing, since Ukiah is the county seat for Mendocino County, there should be plenty of deputy sheriffs there to supplement the police department and, as I believe is the case with every county in California, they have a SWAT team. Here's a photo:

image.jpeg.a0a2bd5a4c76904fb76c621871f7e7a2.jpeg

Why the county in which Uvalde is located didn't have a county SWAT team to call in is beyond me.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:59 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

I'm in the LV area often for business or pleasure and I can't remember the last time I heard anyone criticize California except when they're joking. (Can't speak for Reno metro area since I'm rarely there.)

On the other thing, since Ukiah is the county seat for Mendocino County, there should be plenty of deputy sheriffs there to supplement the police department and, as I believe is the case with every county in California, they have a SWAT team. Here's a photo:

image.jpeg.a0a2bd5a4c76904fb76c621871f7e7a2.jpeg

Why the county in which Uvalde is located didn't have a county SWAT team to call in is beyond me.

they do have a swat team in uvalde

83767071_2986614504705220_55164889202016

+++++ing cops are just pussies with badges and generally as useless as tits on a boar and they should all be fired

what a bunch of +++++ing assholes

On 5/27/2022 at 10:41 AM, Akkula said:

Good... AR15s should probably be outlawed based on all the mass shootings they have been involved in.  I will stake out that position and perhaps if you convince me I can moderate.  We just need to do the same things Republicans do.  If you start out with a more maximalist position then what you wanted to do all along can be called "moderate."

When are you going to move to an island and start your own communist country? You’ve been talking about it for years.

kat.jpg

as ive said on here before...I drive around with a .44 on the passenger seat. the cops aren't going to protect you from shit...PE was right...911 is. a joke

On 5/27/2022 at 11:02 AM, SAMO said:

they do have a swat team in uvalde

83767071_2986614504705220_55164889202016

+++++ing cops are just pussies with badges and generally as useless as tits on a boar and they should all be fired

what a bunch of +++++ing assholes

If that SWAT team wasn't called immediately, something is wrong.

I'll amend that. If they weren't called immediately, something ELSE is wrong.

On your other comment, there are a lot of bad cops but I fail to understand your apparent hatred for all of them.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:06 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

On your other comment, there are a lot of bad cops but I fail to understand your apparent hatred for all of them.

i dont dig on swine

many bad experiences

On 5/27/2022 at 11:06 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

the SWAT team never arrived and local police also prevented a responding border patrol tactical team from going in for an extended period of time.