Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Today's mass shooting is.............

On 5/26/2022 at 6:03 PM, HR_Poke said:

Ok.

Show me the lie.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:03 PM, HR_Poke said:

Not what I read. The mayor is a Democrat too. It was a presser for offering counseling services to victims and families 

Judging by the clips played, the vocal reaction was mixed.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:03 PM, HR_Poke said:

Not what I read. The mayor is a Democrat too. It was a presser for offering counseling services to victims and families 

The mayor isn’t a Democrat. He’s a Republican who endorsed the furthest right GOP Gubernatorial candidate against Abbott in the primary. Hell, he’s even appeared on Tucky’s “I’m Just Asking Questions” White Power Hour on Fox.

I’m going off of the video, where it can be clearly heard and seen that people were yelling to let him keep talking, and what I know from people near the community. I lived an hour away for a few years, and still know people in the general San Antonio area. An acquaintance of mine is friends with a teacher at the school and knows other people in Uvalde. I’ve never known Lisa to lie to me about anything in the past, so I’ll trust her word. 

On 5/26/2022 at 7:05 PM, RSF said:

Judging by the clips played, the vocal reaction was mixed.

Just going off interviews in the article so it's a small sample size for sure.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:08 PM, retrofade said:

The mayor isn’t a Democrat. He’s a Republican who endorsed the furthest right GOO Gubernatorial candidate against Abbott in the primary. Hell, he’s even appeared on Tucky’s “I’m Just Asking Questions” White Power Hour on Fox.

I’m going off of the video, where it can be clearly heard and seen that people were yelling to let him keep talking, and what I know from people near the community. I lived an hour away for a few years, and still know people in the general San Antonio area. An acquaintance of mine is friends with a teacher at the school and knows other people in Uvalde. I’ve never known Lisa to lie to me about anything in the past, so I’ll trust her word. 

Cool.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:03 PM, HR_Poke said:

Mayor Don McLaughlin is a Republican.  He has been on Fox News before talking about Title 42.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2022/05/25/who-uvalde-mayor-don-mclaughlin/9929781002/

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/26/2022 at 10:03 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If the teachers want to, why should they be denied?

None should ever want to.  If a teacher just "wants" to carry in the classroom I don't want my kid in that room.  Now being forced to carry to feel safe is a different problem

On 5/26/2022 at 7:11 PM, retrofade said:

So you can’t even own your falsehoods. Got it. 

Jfc does everything with you have to be an I'm right you're wrong my team is better than your team +++++ing response. You know you are the reason I left this board for 4 years because of shit like this.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, Billings said:

None should ever want to.  If a teacher just "wants" to carry in the classroom I don't want my kid in that room.  Now being forced to carry to feel safe is a different problem

Agreed.  If a teacher wants to have a firearm to protect themselves and their students I don't see why they should not be able.  

What a +++++ed up discussion to be having, tbh.  

So, today, 6 hours north in Arlington...

Dad goes to pick up her daughter at elementary school on her last day.  He's packing on school grounds - not allowed even with a CCL.  Gun goes off, shoots himself in the leg.  School goes into lockdown.

So now he has a bum leg, a hospital bill, a charge of illegal possession, and a permanent ban from all Arlington school properties.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:37 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Didn't know that and thanks for the info. In California, there are county police - in the form of deputy sheriffs - who are rarely more than half an hour away from each municipality. Is Texas so incompetent that it doesn't have an equivalent setup for counties to assist small cities?

Btw:

1-7.jpg

Comment: That seems pretty accurate but residents of Nevada and Washington state don't hate California and to my knowledge at least, Coloradans don't hate us either.

Texas has Police at the municipal level, both Sheriffs and Constables at the County level, State Troopers at the state level and Texas Rangers also at the state level, but they operate at a higher level than troopers (and the others). Your comment was only about the Texas Rangers, so that is what I commented on. Either way, I wouldn't say that Texas is incompetent regarding police force, but a town of 16k like Uvalde with little to no crime to speak of just isn't going to have a huge presence of police, much like you wouldn't find a big presence of police in Ukiah, CA....it just isn't going to happen and regional officers (sheriff) will take time to get there. 

As far as Nevada not hating California......you might want to check your math on that. Everyone there outside of those who came from Cali complain about Californian's coming and bringing the problems of Cali with them, so that map seems pretty accurate. 

On 5/26/2022 at 6:10 PM, HR_Poke said:

What?

I've consistently said on here that calling for people not to politicize something is a political act. And I am asking how this is in any way false.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:18 PM, HR_Poke said:

Jfc does everything with you have to be an I'm right you're wrong my team is better than your team +++++ing response. You know you are the reason I left this board for 4 years because of shit like this.

Lol. Okay then. This isn’t teams. This is you said something that wasn’t true, and when you were called out on it, all you had was a petulant response.

If I’M the reason that you left, out of everyone here, then good god man, I don’t know what to tell you except that I shouldn’t have had that much power over you. 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:20 PM, RSF said:

So, today, 6 hours north in Arlington...

Dad goes to pick up her daughter at elementary school on her last day.  He's packing on school grounds - not allowed even with a CCL.  Gun goes off, shoots himself in the leg.  School goes into lockdown.

So now he has a bum leg, a hospital bill, a charge of illegal possession, and a permanent ban from all Arlington school properties.

What a dumbass. 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:18 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Agreed.  If a teacher wants to have a firearm to protect themselves and their students I don't see why they should not be able.  

What a +++++ed up discussion to be having, tbh.  

To take this to the right wing argument… shouldn’t parents have the right to decide whether or not they want their kid’s teacher packing heat?