Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Today's mass shooting is.............

On 5/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, alum93 said:

He didn't ask what could make it into law.  He asked him if he had heard any good ideas.   

It would be almost the same answer.  I don't have a viable solution to offer.  I honestly don't recall hearing something that would actually work. 

With the young shooters, a common thread is a troubled home life and people either missing, or ignoring the warning signs.  I don't know how to even begin to fix that.  

One thing I have seen is the notion of creating laws that only allow private citizens to own revolvers, bolt action rifles, and double barrel shotguns.  That would satisfy my wants and needs in regards to firearms, but others would loudly object.  Even if that came to fruition, there is simply no phucking way to deal with the 200 million+ guns already in private hands.  If they were going to do that, they should have done it a hundred years ago.  It's too late now. 

Americans are buying about 20 million guns per year.  That's just the guns being purchased in stores and doesn't include private sales.  That number will jump if there ever is an actual, credible, threat to remove some guns from public sales. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 5/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, AztecSU said:

So you agree that Putin's invasion raised gas prices and not Joe Biden? very cool. 

Why does it have to be one or the other and not both? Prices rose from $1.93 at the start of 2020 to $3.41 in November 2022, three months before Putin invaded (but around the time it became clear that the threat of an invasion was imminent). Biden's domestic oil policies only exacerbated the problem.  

On 5/26/2022 at 4:21 PM, CV147 said:

The more information that comes out the more it seems that this was totally preventable with easily implemented policy. And yes the police were cowards, in my opinion.

I have a nine year old son, and I'll tell you I would have been arrested that day.

I agree. Simply locking the doors would have gone a long way, but in a small town like that, I'm sure its very easy to become complacent. My son's school in Houston has only one door open and you have to be buzzed in with a video system. It's not foolproof, but it's a solid first layer of security. 

On 5/26/2022 at 2:58 PM, Slapdad said:

Why does it have to be one or the other and not both? Prices rose from $1.93 at the start of 2020 to $3.41 in November 2022, three months before Putin invaded (but around the time it became clear that the threat of an invasion was imminent). Biden's domestic oil policies only exacerbated the problem.  

I find your lack of consistency disturbing - I find your lack of faith  disturbing | Meme Generator

On 5/26/2022 at 3:05 PM, UNLV2001 said:

It would be helpful if total semi-auto weapons in circulation was charted as well...people need to see the correlation...of the lack thereof. 

On 5/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, CV147 said:

The more information that comes out the more it seems that this was totally preventable with easily implemented policy. And yes the police were cowards, in my opinion.

I have a nine year old son, and I'll tell you I would have been arrested that day.

In hindsight, so many of them could have been prevented.  It's sickening and it's not getting any better. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 5/26/2022 at 4:33 PM, tailingpermit said:

Actually, the ones in the worst neighborhoods of Chicago wait for the police to show up first.  

Not unless there is a specific threat identified during the 911 call or by someone at the scene, otherwise, no self-respecting firefighter is going to sit around and let another crew take the nozzle in. I'd rather get shot than suffer that sort of humiliation! :D

On 5/26/2022 at 4:42 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Yeah paramedics won’t work on gunshot victims until cops get there.. 

Exactly....any assault, shooting, stabbing or any other call will have paramedics/fire staged until LOE clear it. 

On 5/26/2022 at 3:07 PM, AztecSU said:

It would be helpful if total semi-auto weapons in circulation was charted as well...people need to see the correlation...of the lack thereof. 

Probably mirrors the revocation of the assault weapon ban that was put in place after the Reagan / Brady shooting - The Brady Bill 

On 5/26/2022 at 6:10 PM, Slapdad said:

Not unless there is a specific threat identified during the 911 call or by someone at the scene, otherwise, no self-respecting firefighter is going to sit around and let another crew take the nozzle in. I'd rather get shot than suffer that sort of humiliation! :D

I’m telling you directly from a fireman/medic that works the worst city in Chicago, it’s standard operating procedure.   

On 5/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, CV147 said:

Thoughts and Prayers issued. Scapegoat identified. Moving on to the next mass shooting. This is America.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:37 PM, alum93 said:

He didn't ask what could make it into law.  He asked him if he had heard any good ideas.   How about not letting a teenager purchase those guns and ammo in the first place?  

Exactly. We all know why the current legislation is stuck in congress.  I think there's some good ideas within the proposals. And these aren't designed to take away all our precious guns.

Things like:

An enhanced back ground check. Closing some loopholes allowing a purchase before a background. A longer waiting period to get weapons in hand.  A red flag law that takes away weapons from individuals that may be a threat to themselves or others. This is driven by observation of family members and law enforcement. More gun safety requirements.

I asked earlier where do we draw the line? How many more bodies of kids and innocents doe we need to see before something real is done? Now, you'll hear from all the gun grippers on why these ideas are terrible and won't work. 

Amazon.com: AES Industries Wholesale Lot 6 I'll Give You My Guns.When You  Pry Them from My Cold, Dead Hands! Decals Bumper Stickers : Automotive

On 5/26/2022 at 3:23 PM, CV147 said:

Season 9 Ok GIF by The Office

We have reduced future mass shootings by ensuring police at schools follow proper protocol. If police follow proper protocols, there will be minimal deaths from mass shootings. I know I feel better.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:25 PM, utenation said:

Exactly. We all know why the current legislation is stuck in congress.  I think there's some good ideas within the proposals. And these aren't designed to take away all our precious guns.

Things like:

An enhanced back ground check. Closing some loopholes allowing a purchase before a background. A longer waiting period to get weapons in hand.  A red flag law that takes away weapons from individuals that may be a threat to themselves or others. This is driven by observation of family members and law enforcement. More gun safety requirements.

I asked earlier where do we draw the line? How many more bodies of kids and innocents doe we need to see before something real is done.  Now, you'll hear from all the gun grippers on why these ideas are terrible and won't work. 

Amazon.com: AES Industries Wholesale Lot 6 I'll Give You My Guns.When You  Pry Them from My Cold, Dead Hands! Decals Bumper Stickers : Automotive

Sounds pretty "common sense" to me. Also has the support of almost 90% of the country if polling is to be believed.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:26 PM, SharkTanked said:

We have reduced future mass shootings by ensuring police at schools follow proper protocol. If police follow proper protocols, there will be minimal deaths from mass shootings. I know I feel better.

And you with your fantasies that new gun laws will work...

One thing I think needs to be pointed out when talking about the response.

Uvalde is a small, isolated town.  They have a small police force - 28 officers.  It has a slightly below average rate of violent crime.  These guys deal with mostly property crime and traffic crap.  Now, I think its safe to say that most cops, even highly trained ones, would be caught off-guard by an incident of such magnitude, but this is almost unfathomable for a place 2 steps up from Mayberry.  Then factor in the idea that most cops in such a scenario dont have to worry about jumping into such a mess that involves THEIR OWN KIDS - that is one ONLY school for 2nd thru 4th in town.  They're human, just like the rest of us.  Might be prudent to keep that in mind while we jump to excoriate them.  There's a reason DPS (state police) and the Border Patrol jumped in, something that probably wouldnt have happened 80 miles away in San Antonio.  Just a thought.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/26/2022 at 12:19 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Teachers that wish to assign a book should be allowed to do so.

I agree!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.