Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Vet Shortage

On 5/13/2022 at 4:33 PM, sactowndog said:

Poor.  The 25, 50, 75% range salaries are 85k, 104K, 135k.  Remember these salaries are after 4 years of vet school and possibly a residency.   The issue is vet medicine is truely market based medicine and labor supply is low because the effort and cost to be a vet does not justify the pay.   

It's not just school, maintaining a modern-day vet practice is very, very expensive. A lot of the equipment is similar to human medicine tech, and of course you need staff, a fairly large space, etc. 

I feel for them, but at the same time, I don't take my dog to the vet as much as the industry lobby tells me to. I know what veterinary care costs in other countries, and I'm simply not willing to pay hundreds of dollars every time my vet decides it's time for a routine this-and-that.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:05 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Major shortage of Vets across the country and projected shortage into the future with 75 million pets to be vet-less. Have any of you had troubles getting in to see one?

https://people.com/pets/new-studies-find-veterinarian-shortage/

It took two months to get in to see our long time vet for routine shots, checkup, etc. The issue in Boise is the big influx of new people with pets and limited number of vets. OTOH when our dog had an actual problem we were able to get in the next day. 

On 5/13/2022 at 4:47 PM, soupslam1 said:

It took two months to get in to see our long time vet for routine shots, checkup, etc. The issue in Boise is the big influx of new people with pets and limited number of vets. OTOH when our dog had an actual problem we were able to get in the next day. 

IN Hawaii we had a group of vets retire rather than deal with covid.....Took three months to become an established customer at a vet.  Now there is no problem.  They just limit new customers to a trickle to keep up high service levels with existing customers.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, Billings said:

Pharmacists, Teachers, Social Workers, etc.    all with looming shortages as college costs are hard to cover on what we pay them

But, but if we pay them what they deserve, it will lead to inflation !

Fail Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor