Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

byu fans already spinning this faster than a pinwheel in a hurricane ...

https://www.ksl.com/article/50403975/broken-wheel-byu-utah-state-put-in-state-rivalry-on-hold-for-now

BYU and Utah State jointly announced the cancellation of four games scheduled through the 2026 season Thursday, using contractual language voiding the existing agreement if a change in conference affiliation occurred. That means the contest scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 29 in Provo will be the last in the Wagon Wheel rivalry for the foreseeable future.

Will the Utah legislature call for an audit of BYU's athletic dept?

When Utah ditched USU, all heck broke lose for BYU and USU fans, but suddenly ... (crickets)

Wow that really sucks, that's been a fun series as of late. 

Will the three FBS Utah programs play each other at all anymore? 

Wyo has a home and home with BYU coming up.  I fully expect them to host us in Provo and then cancel the return trip to Laramie.  If I am AD I am wondering about just canceling them both at this point.  Tough break for USU and BYU.  Isn't that usually the weeknight game due to some LDS activity going on?

On 5/12/2022 at 1:53 PM, Billings said:

Wyo has a home and home with BYU coming up.  I fully expect them to host us in Provo and then cancel the return trip to Laramie.  If I am AD I am wondering about just canceling them both at this point.  Tough break for USU and BYU.  Isn't that usually the weeknight game due to some LDS activity going on?

A public viewing of Big Love.

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

On 5/12/2022 at 2:53 PM, Billings said:

Isn't that usually the weeknight game due to some LDS activity going on?

In Utah County they call it International Pyramid Scheme Night.. Sponsored by Avon, Mary Kay, Young Living Essential Oils and multiple vitamin companies. 

BYU isn’t just shedding USU, but the MWC as a whole it seems like.  BYU had 22 games scheduled with MWC teams between 2023 and 2034…. Now it’s just 2 (Wyoming and Nevada in 2024).  Crazy times….  Hoping that as things get more settled we see more MWC teams and especially USU back on the schedule.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 5/12/2022 at 8:07 PM, NorCalCoug said:

BYU isn’t just shedding USU, but the MWC as a whole it seems like.  BYU had 22 games scheduled with MWC teams between 2023 and 2034…. Now it’s just 2 (Wyoming and Nevada in 2024). 

The MWC teams should start trying to replace all of the games they had with BYU with UConn instead.

On 5/12/2022 at 5:07 PM, NorCalCoug said:

BYU isn’t just shedding USU, but the MWC as a whole it seems like.  BYU had 22 games scheduled with MWC teams between 2023 and 2034…. Now it’s just 2 (Wyoming and Nevada in 2024).  Crazy times….  Hoping that as things get more settled we see more MWC teams and especially USU back on the schedule.

I think they are having talks or had talks with Boise St to get them back on the schedule in the future

On 5/12/2022 at 5:07 PM, NorCalCoug said:

Now that they no longer need MW teams in order to fill a schedule, lol. But I get it.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:00 AM, Wyobraska said:

That really sucks.  I always enjoyed watching those games.  @AndroidAggiewill be happy though I think.  I don't believe he cared much for that game.  

you are correct, i didn't.  they were a very interesting opponent, a huge fan draw, and a lot of eyes on us when we did play.  lots of national TV spots.  but...  when we won, everyone said it was a fluke and it kinda felt like it. when we lost, it was mathematical proof, incontrovertible and inexorable, of byu's superiority.  just ask their fans.

the program's respective budgets, fan support, and media coverage were asymmetric by orders of magnitude in favor of byu.  the notion that we needed them in any respect to build our program via interest and fan attendance is flawed.  we were perennial underdogs on paper and i think we were only ever going to be underdogs in the eyes of state sports journalism, even if we did somehow do the near impossible of win 10 games in a row against them.  it felt like a rigged setup that i just wasn't interested in doing.

if the USU fan interest and wallets surge and cough up money only when BYU's part of the equation, they're not USU fans.  they just...  hate BYU.  there are plenty of USU fans that (sports) hate BYU and enjoy it.  i get that, i seriously do.  no knock to it.  but the average fan in the stands was there for that single game only.  there was nothing to build off of, there was no momentum to generate.  it was a pinch of high burn dust and it made the fire hot for that week and that was it.  

best of luck in the big12, byu. 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:51 AM, AndroidAggie said:

you are correct, i didn't.  they were a very interesting opponent, a huge fan draw, and a lot of eyes on us when we did play.  lots of national TV spots.  but...  when we won, everyone said it was a fluke and it kinda felt like it. when we lost, it was mathematical proof, incontrovertible and inexorable, of byu's superiority.  just ask their fans.

the program's respective budgets, fan support, and media coverage were asymmetric by orders of magnitude in favor of byu.  the notion that we needed them in any respect to build our program via interest and fan attendance is flawed.  we were perennial underdogs on paper and i think we were only ever going to be underdogs in the eyes of state sports journalism, even if we did somehow do the near impossible of win 10 games in a row against them.  it felt like a rigged setup that i just wasn't interested in doing.

if the USU fan interest and wallets surge and cough up money only when BYU's part of the equation, they're not USU fans.  they just...  hate BYU.  there are plenty of USU fans that (sports) hate BYU and enjoy it.  i get that, i seriously do.  no knock to it.  but the average fan in the stands was there for that single game only.  there was nothing to build off of, there was no momentum to generate.  it was a pinch of high burn dust and it made the fire hot for that week and that was it.  

best of luck in the big12, byu. 

Well said.  Being  an anti BYU fan isn’t helping much. Very fruitful for Utah though. Most of the fan base is obsessed with BYU. More so than most BYU fans.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:53 PM, Billings said:

Ha ha. Why in the hell would they do that. You guys funny. There is zero chance Wyoming does that. ZERO CHANCE. BYU might pull the plug and maybe after one game as you say. Wyoming would be compensated and have high profile game especially now with all the B12 fans tuning in.

On 5/13/2022 at 7:31 AM, 4UNLV said:

Now that they no longer need MW teams in order to fill a schedule, lol. But I get it.

After the 1st 3 years it was primarily USU, BSU and PAC12 schools. 

The relationship was Beneficial to both parties. Actually it was more BSU, USU and SDSU BYU alliance not MWC. Hawaii was part of it until Chow got out of the long term series. 

No doubt BYU is going to want BSU and SDSU as the next 2 members of B12.  Questionable if they can get the support.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:53 PM, Billings said:

LOL Dementia has began to set in for you. This game is in 2022. It’s a million dollar buyout for Wyoming. No he isn’t having that thought even for a split second. 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:41 AM, robe said:

Well said.  Being  an anti BYU fan isn’t helping much. Very fruitful for Utah though. Most of the fan base is obsessed with BYU. More so than most BYU fans.

reality is that BYU doesnt have nearly the same cache it once had. There are easily 40 programs that would draw more excitement for Utah fans than another game against BYU. 

If Utah were to play BYU this year I'd put it as the 5th or 6th most interesting game on Utah schedule. It's clearly not on par with games against Florida, USC, Oregon or UCLA

BYU is going all in on the B12.

Phuck thier history, their rivals, etc.

Its all about playing the Iowa States and Kansas of the FB world 

I got ten bucks that says they will start playing C-USA teams for a few guaranteed wins.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor