Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecSU

Mountain West “likely” to eliminate divisions for 2023 football season

Not excited about this change.  UH’s longest-term rivals have been Fresno State (54 games played), San Jose State (44), San Diego State (36), BYU (32), and UNLV (32).  Being able to play games every season against four of those five is a continuation of tradition and appealing from a UH fan perspective.  The current divisions work very well for us.

On 5/4/2022 at 7:16 PM, Headbutt said:

I really don't see any value in eliminating divisions.  It's just rearranging deck chairs again.

NY6 bowl = money. Having the two best teams regardless of division gives the MWC the best possible chance at getting a NY6 bowl. They are going to want to put themselves in the best possible position to get that money. 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:56 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

NY6 bowl = money. Having the two best teams regardless of division gives the MWC the best possible chance at getting a NY6 bowl. They are going to want to put themselves in the best possible position to get that money. 

Got it.

Pipe dream.  Eliminating divisions will rarely do that.  Again, until our conference champ gets an autobid to the playoffs, monkeying with the divisions is just plain stupid. 

On 5/4/2022 at 9:14 PM, Headbutt said:

Got it.

Pipe dream.  Eliminating divisions will rarely do that.  Again, until our conference champ gets an autobid to the playoffs, monkeying with the divisions is just plain stupid. 

Yea, and the one time where having divisions causes the MWC to lose out on a NY6 bowl everybody will be on here bitching about how dumb Hair is. 

On 5/4/2022 at 11:37 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, and the one time where having divisions causes the MWC to lose out on a NY6 bowl everybody will be on here bitching about how dumb Hair is. 

Folks are gonna' bitch about how dumb Hair is no matter what.  Do we really want a system that rigs schedules to get one team over the top of the others?  There's no advantage to killing the divisional setup for 11 teams.  Whoever gets chosen to represent the MWC that year is the only team to benefit.  The current system is as fair as you can get with 12 teams in an 8 game schedule.  Do you really want to rearrange MWC scheduling to cater to a system that wants nothing to do with the MWC?  We're doing it right and the right team is the top representative of the MWC pretty much every single year.

Find a way to play a round robin schedule then ditching divisions make sense, otherwise it's a fools errand.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, Headbutt said:

Folks are gonna' bitch about how dumb Hair is no matter what.  Do we really want a system that rigs schedules to get one team over the top of the others?  There's no advantage to killing the divisional setup for 11 teams.  Whoever gets chosen to represent the MWC that year is the only team to benefit.  The current system is as fair as you can get with 12 teams in an 8 game schedule.  Do you really want to rearrange MWC scheduling to cater to a system that wants nothing to do with the MWC?  We're doing it right and the right team is the top representative of the MWC pretty much every single year.

Find a way to play a round robin schedule then ditching divisions make sense, otherwise it's a fools errand.

Like the old WAC...  It'd even benefit BSU, but I say no...

New-Signature.jpg

On 5/4/2022 at 9:51 PM, Headbutt said:

Eh, I enjoy playing all the schools in this conference, so it doesn’t make much of a difference to me. I mean sure, I’d prefer to play Fresno every year, but other than that I’m fine with a steady rotation. 

On 5/4/2022 at 5:55 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

Not exactly sure if that is best for SDSU in fostering rivalries with a geographic bent, but whatever.  So long as the rotation is consistent

The rotation and planning for this has me a little reluctant to get on board just because the MW seems incompetent in regards to scheduling

We all need a basis for hating the West.  For that reason alone, I don't think it's proper. 

@Hair, you're about to be fired from the forum. 

6ezkk3.jpg

My sources are telling me this won't happen.  

BSU likes the Mountain division...  The West has, and always does, suck..

New-Signature.jpg

Hasn't Hair Thompson learned anything from the Airport Meeting??

BYU and the defectors didn't like the WAC16 pod system because they wouldn't get to play all their rivals each year.

Eliminating Divisions would only create similar discontent. Why relive history?

On 5/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, wolfpack1 said:

The can do away with divisions and then keep with the schedule formula they have

Yep.  Just juggle the two teams in the championship

On 5/4/2022 at 4:52 PM, Billings said:

well makes expansion easier.  Don't have to peg people in an eastern or western division.  That is what broke up the original WAC.  Had they done this and not had that stupid quadrant crap it might still be around

I think you will still have quads as people want to play their rivals.  

Quads:

SDSU, Fresno, SJSU, Hawaii

UNLV, Reno, Boise, Utah State

Wyoming, Colorado St., AF, New Mexico

you will just rotate the quads you play.  

On 5/5/2022 at 1:01 AM, BobcatGoldthwait said:

Hasn't Hair Thompson learned anything from the Airport Meeting??

BYU and the defectors didn't like the WAC16 pod system because they wouldn't get to play all their rivals each year.

Eliminating Divisions would only create similar discontent. Why relive history?

What's wrong with this post guys?

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif