Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HawaiiMongoose

Hawaii state government approves $400 million for Aloha Stadium replacement

On 5/6/2022 at 10:25 PM, Spaztecs said:

Congrats on getting the funding restored. Hope you guys have sone great new digs. And that the locals fill it up.

What's the estimated time of completion once they get shovels in the ground ?

The State of Hawaii always does things the hard way and take the long route but it's Hawaii, when it is done it's gonna be first class and unique. 

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:34 AM, Reverend said:

The State of Hawaii always does things the hard way and take the long route but it's Hawaii, what it is done it's gonna be first class and unique. 

With tourism pretty much back to normal, that should help speed up the issue.   

On 5/4/2022 at 12:56 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Still standing.  The $350 million is also supposed to cover the cost of demolition, which is another reason why I'm concerned about what the developer will actually be able to deliver within that cost constraint.

From Qualcomm/Snapdragon bids it seems stadium demolition is in the 10-11 million range. Should be easily doable. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:13 AM, Koji Vu said:

From Qualcomm/Snapdragon bids it seems stadium demolition is in the 10-11 million range. Should be easily doable. 

I could be wrong, but If I recall Aloha stadium hasn't as much concrete that you'd see in most stateside stadiums. 

It must be the palm fibers in the concrete.

;)

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 5/6/2022 at 6:25 PM, Spaztecs said:

Congrats on getting the funding restored. Hope you guys have sone great new digs. And that the locals fill it up.

the over/under on the new stadium’s completion is 2030.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:25 PM, Spaztecs said:

The state senator who was instrumental in lining up the funding says the "best case" is that the stadium will be ready for the 2025 season.  Of course that's frustrating as heck because it's more than three years out whereas SDSU is on track to complete both demolition of its old stadium and construction of its new one in just two years.  But as others have pointed out, in Hawaii everything is done the hard way and takes longer.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:20 PM, kalua pig said:

i thought 2025 was a typo. if anybody believes the stadium will be ready by the 2025 season opener is insane.

If you raze the stadium and clear the debris this year, then it's doable.  If we had to put our new stadium on the same place as the old one then we'd probably be looking at a later date was well.

On 5/7/2022 at 1:25 PM, aztech said:

If you raze the stadium and clear the debris this year, then it's doable.  If we had to put our new stadium on the same place as the old one then we'd probably be looking at a later date was well.

they also want to build a mini waikiki on the lot. lots of sewage digging work.the delays and excuses are going to be endless.2025 is a joke.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:20 PM, kalua pig said:

i thought 2025 was a typo. if anybody believes the stadium will be ready by the 2025 season opener is insane.

I’m thinking 2030 if it happens at all. Hope you guys can get it done. Hawaii football is going through a tough time. 
Go Bows!

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 5/10/2022 at 11:04 AM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

I’m thinking 2030 if it happens at all. Hope you guys can get it done. Hawaii football is going through a tough time. 
Go Bows!

2025 is political propaganda.so was 2023.sick and tired of the bullshit.

I was in Oahu 14 years ago and went to the swap meet in the parking lot. It was great. But I remember thinking that is the ugliest stadium I have ever seen. Whose idea was it to paint it putrid brown? I know Oahu has water issues but they basically played on concrete for a long time. Hope the new stadium turns out great. UH deserves better.  

Update: It was confirmed today that the Hawaii state legislature’s $400 million appropriation to build a replacement for Aloha Stadium will be signed into law by the governor tomorrow. (The $350 million figure I reported before didn’t account for another $50 million tucked away in a different part of the appropriations bill.)
The design/build RFP should go out shortly thereafter to the three finalist bidders on the project. An award should be made by year end and construction should begin in early 2023.

Timely news for UH given what’s been happening on the realignment front.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:56 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Still standing.  The $350 million is also supposed to cover the cost of demolition, which is another reason why I'm concerned about what the developer will actually be able to deliver within that cost constraint.

I would guess that is prime real estate for residential development, is there a way to have that cover the cost of demolition?  And some of the stadium construction cost?