Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalinasSpartan

Roe and Casey soon to be overturned

On 6/24/2022 at 10:53 PM, 4UNLV said:

But what of the massive group of women who participate in the march for life and those that head up the most pro life companies in the country? Will they not turn up because they finally got the court result they wanted? Iny experience the most pro choice and pro life people I have ever been around are women. It's fairly even, really. In the world I've experienced. 6 years of college, lots of travel. 

On 6/24/2022 at 10:01 PM, scounty said:

But what of the massive group of women who participate in the march for life and those that head up the most pro life companies in the country? Will they not turn up because they finally got the court result they wanted? Iny experience the most pro choice and pro life people I have ever been around are women. It's fairly even, really. In the world I've experienced. 6 years of college, lots of travel. 

I think scotus gave a lot of women (probably some men too) who have never voted before reason to show up this time. Is it enough to overcome voter suppression, gerrymandering, crooked Secretaries of State, the trump/evangelical cult, and a Supreme Court who have proven that they are simply shills for fascism and will rule in its favor every single time they get the chance? Idk. We’ll see. 

On 6/24/2022 at 11:08 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I think scotus gave a lot of women (probably some men too) who have never voted before reason to show up this time. Is it enough to overcome voter suppression, gerrymandering, crooked Secretaries of State, the trump/evangelical cult, and a Supreme Court who have proven that they are simply shills for fascism and will rule in its favor every single time they get the chance? Idk. We’ll see. 

All the buzz words. 

On 6/24/2022 at 9:06 PM, Akkula said:

The NYC metro area has a higher GDP than all of Canada.  Imo, if anyone joins anyone it would be them asking.  They haven't wanted to join thus far so I doubt they want any part of this shit show.

It is incredible how much gdp us cities produce compared to other countries.  

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/understanding-americas-enormous-20-6t-economy-by-comparing-us-metro-area-gdps-to-entire-countries/

The advantage of joining Canada is it forms a land bridge from east to west.   

On 6/24/2022 at 9:41 PM, mugtang said:

If the West coast, New England and the blue midwestern states all created a country with Canada (let’s be honest Canada would likely merge with them, not them joining Canada) it would still be the most powerful country in the world.  Leaving the Great Plains and the South as their own country.   States that I imagine would follow this hypothetical would be; Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona (maybe), New Mexico, Colorado, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine.  Hawaii would probably go it’s own way but maintain military ties with this new country.  Alaska could join because it would make the most economic sense for them.   That would leave Texas and Florida as the big dogs of the new country.  Would still be a strong country but not nearly as strong as the new one. Both would be nuclear powers so there likely wouldn’t be a war between them.  Could still maintain military and economic ties of some sort.  Maybe have a mutual defense treaty similar to NATO.  

I imagine after some time, maybe 20-25 years, there would be a form of reconciliation between the two countries and the creation of a new country would happen.

I think Hawaii would join for sure. Not big enough to be their own state.   With Minnesota, Michigan and Illinois going with the new state the question would be what does Wisconsin do?  They, Arizona and Pennsylvania would be the most likely question marks.   New England, Minnesota and the west coast would provide a pretty significant economic engine to add to Canada.   

First of all, this theory of Canada/blue state nation is silly imo, but to play along imagine the currency of that country versus the currency of Alabama/dumbf*ckistan.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:49 AM, sactowndog said:

The advantage of joining Canada is it forms a land bridge from east to west.   

If we split, we will still cooperate to allow cross country shipping and travel,  etc.  Flyover country will still be flyover country.   But if you think I am going to allow colorado to be railroaded into the yokel nation because of geography,  you have got another thing coming!  If Hawaii can be an island state so can we!  I don't think we need geographic continuity in that manner by adding Canada.

I do think the future role for the future confederal government will be to assist people who want to self sort from one nation to the other.   Act as a facilitator and guarantour to help individuals avoid huge financial losses that choose to move their assets and lives from one side to the other.  Although the red side may not want that because all their young people and educated may leave.   Hopefully they wouldn't try to force people to remain who don't want to remain.  Free movement would probably be a necessary aspect of the new constitution at least for a certain time.

We would also want to cooperate militarily and aggressive military action against each other be prohibited... at least for a time.  Military spending would probably be equally split but blue states would no longer subsidize anything else any longer.   It would be a windfall for blue and a shortfall for red.   Maybe blue just pays to keep interstate from going to shit.

Posted Image

On 6/25/2022 at 4:19 AM, toonkee said:

First of all, this theory of Canada/blue state nation is silly imo, but to play along imagine the currency of that country versus the currency of Alabama/dumbf*ckistan.

MTG and cons are the ones talking about a National Divorce.  Why should normals always feel we have to be the adults in the room?

The title of my new book will be "liberals shrugged" and will be a dystopian tale of what happens when "team normal" all pack up and leave your nation. 

Beats a destructive shooting war  no?

Posted Image

Sinema, Murkowski, and Collins are three senators whose states support abortion rights and who have all said how deeply and sincerely they supported preserving Roe.  Susan Collins told us she was lied by the swing vote justices about the issue.  

All 3 of these senators in December just supported a filibuster carve in December to pass the debt ceiling that was only done so Republicans wouldn't have to take a tough vote.

If they can support a filibuster carve out so that Republicans don't have to take a tough vote, then why can they not support it to preserve a fundamental right?  Alaskans, Mainers, and Arizonans are FIRMLY in support of Roe so why would this be a risk?  Arizona is scheduled to have some nasty abortion trigger laws go into place so Sinema will need to decide if the filibuster is more important than women's rights.  Roe could be codified tomorrow if these three supposed supporters of women's rights wanted it to be.  Sinema could fix her state's draconian abortion laws tomorrow.

Donald Trump would make this issue into a POLITICAL GOLD MINE, if he was in charge.  If Biden doesn't know how to apply maximum pressure to these three woman and every other swing state senator, he is an idiot.  This is EXACTLY why he has the bully pulpit.  Is he going be the "nice guys finish last" carter like president or is he going to channel his inner LBJ bully?

Posted Image

On 6/25/2022 at 4:28 AM, Akkula said:

Sinema, Murkowski, and Collins are three senators whose states support abortion rights and who have all said how deeply and sincerely they supported preserving Roe.  Susan Collins told us she was lied by the swing vote justices about the issue.  

All 3 of these senators in December just supported a filibuster carve in December to pass the debt ceiling that was only done so Republicans wouldn't have to take a tough vote.

If they can support a filibuster carve out so that Republicans don't have to take a tough vote, then why can they not support it to preserve a fundamental right?  Alaskans, Mainers, and Arizonans are FIRMLY in support of Roe so why would this be a risk?

Donald Trump would make this issue into a POLITICAL GOLD MINE, if he was in charge.  If Biden doesn't know how to apply maximum pressure to these three woman and every other swing state senator, he is an idiot.  This is EXACTLY why he has the bully pulpit.  Is he going be the "nice guys finish last" carter like president or is he going to channel his inner LBJ bully?

During his speech yesterday, he was pissed, and didn't mince any words. I hope he puts that into action.

On 6/25/2022 at 5:36 AM, 4UNLV said:

During his speech yesterday, he was pissed, and didn't mince any words. I hope he puts that into action.

Biden has literally ONE job...until election day...get more Democrats elected so he can overcome the filibuster and pass his agenda.   If he wants to spend time playing defense for the upcoming months with ideas like his silly gas tax rebates women and the country will lose. 

He better start calling out these senators by name and asking them to join him at the white house because they are 3 women who support abortion rights and who can make an immediate difference.  He must make sure that either they relent or he makes maximum hay about the problem with the filibuster.  This also ties into gun violence and marijuana decriminalization among other things.

If the filibuster isn't issue #1 on Biden's plate that he reminds us about almost daily it is political malpractice.  

Posted Image

On 6/25/2022 at 7:43 AM, Akkula said:

Biden has literally ONE job...until election day...get more Democrats elected so he can overcome the filibuster and pass his agenda.   If he wants to spend time playing defense for the upcoming months with ideas like his silly gas tax rebates women and the country will lose. 

He better start calling out these senators by name and asking them to join him at the white house because they are 3 women who support abortion rights and who can make an immediate difference.  He must make sure that either they relent or he makes maximum hay about the problem with the filibuster.  This also ties into gun violence and marijuana decriminalization among other things.

If the filibuster isn't issue #1 on Biden's plate that he reminds us about almost daily it is political malpractice.  

also have to get young people to vote since they lean more liberal anyways

On 6/25/2022 at 6:03 AM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

also have to get young people to vote since they lean more liberal anyways

That is why Marijuana decriminalization MUST also be a huge plank.  

Posted Image