Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalinasSpartan

Roe and Casey soon to be overturned

On 6/24/2022 at 10:44 AM, Akkula said:

Thanks for your anecdotal evidence of the "lifetime Democratic voter."  If such a person exists that doesn't understand a fundamental plank of the Democratic platform on abortion they shouldn't be a Democrat.  Most of these uniformed "Reagan Democrat" rubes are now Trumpists at this point anyway. 

Didn’t you mean Robes? 

On 6/24/2022 at 1:23 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

It’s gonna take time for the stupidity to fade that bad law has wrought upon the electorate. I spoke to a lifetime Democratic voter, never voted for GOP in her life (I can say her because I’m a man and an expert in biology). She isn’t a political person at all. When told Roe was going to be overturned i mansplained to her that all it meant was the states would get to vote on it, it wouldn’t outlaw abortion. I then asked this woman, who had carried multiple children to term, when she thought the line for termination of a pregnancy should be. “12 weeks”. Squish that I am, I explained 20 weeks is the commonly accepted limit. “That’s barbaric” was basically her response. Good riddance to bad law. Let’s vote!

Not sure if this is cynicism or naiveite. Either way, yikes.  

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:46 AM, bornontheblue said:

I am not sure what you mean here by codified but I will try. 

If the ID state legislature say banned all handguns in Idaho, and the governor signed the bill, they would no longer be the legislators and the governor after the next election. The next legislator and governor would promptly get rid of the law banning handguns in Idaho. This all of course is assuming there would not be any court challenges to this hypothetical law, which in light of yesterdays decision would probably succeed. 

So, you are turning in your guns and praying things bounce your way next cycle?  So no choice for the next t few years?  Seems like people would be rightfully upset.  Especially since they couldn't actually have a say on that specific issue.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:48 AM, Akkula said:

The court should be expanded according to the constitution....they should amend the constitution if they don't' like it.  Perhaps forcing the issue by expanding the court will allow us to get a more sane method for adding new justices. 

What ya gonna do when the next Republican senate and president want to pack it back , and add an additional 100 young conservative justices fresh out of law school  to the court for good measure? 

On 6/24/2022 at 10:50 AM, bornontheblue said:

What ya gonna do when the next Republican senate and president want to pack it back , and add an additional 100 young conservative justices fresh out of law school  to the court for good measure? 

They would do it, then they would do it.

"And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round..."

On 6/24/2022 at 1:50 PM, bornontheblue said:

Good. Then the Dems will add 200 more. Sounds great.

Write your congressperson. 

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

On 6/24/2022 at 11:50 AM, bornontheblue said:

That won't happen because we will expand to extra states to make sure the senate and house and electoral college are never in question again.  Only sane people will be elected from here on out...Democrat or Republican.

We just need the willpower to do what must be done. 

Posted Image

On 6/24/2022 at 11:49 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

So, you are turning in your guns and praying things bounce your way next cycle?  So no choice for the next t few years?  Seems like people would be rightfully upset.  Especially since they couldn't actually have a say on that specific issue.

We are going to fight out the abortion battle now in the legislative branches at the federal and state level, and that is the way our system is designed to settle these matters.  Our country should have had this fight 40-50 years ago. 

On 6/24/2022 at 1:54 PM, bornontheblue said:

We are going to fight out the abortion battle now in the legislative branches at the federal and state level, and that is the way our system is designed to settle these matters.  Our country should have had this fight 40-50 years ago. 

Oh yes, y'all just wanted abortion legalized the right way. Right...

Do you even you believe that shit? Give me a +++++ing break

On 6/24/2022 at 11:53 AM, Akkula said:

That won't happen because we will expand to extra states to make sure the senate and house and electoral college are never in question again.  Only sane people will be elected from here on out...Democrat or Republican.

We just need the willpower to do what must be done. 

Ok. What are you going to do when the republican in congress  split Mississippi, Alabama, Idaho, and Oklahoma into a 100 different red states each with two representatives, and two senators. 

This game is fun. 

Gay marriage, condoms, and gay relationships next. Great! States rights! Yay!

On 6/24/2022 at 10:43 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I also expect massive pressure from east Oregonians to repeal that.  

They have zero chance of winning. The last time a pro-life measure hit a state ballot - in 2018, trying to ban state funding for abortions - it got less than 35% of the vote.

If they don’t like it, I guess they can always move east and do some wolf-murdering.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:57 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Lived experience.

Not your little story, the insinuation that somehow the overall societal outcome of this decision would be superior merely because abortion policy would be meted out by different institutions of your preference.

Strange. Just say you want it banned and that this decision functionally does that in half the country. No need to act like this is a victory for process. 

On 6/24/2022 at 7:53 AM, sactowndog said:

RBG yes.  Dems really haven’t had the numbers to overcome a filibuster so that is an unfair comment.  As usual Manchin would have sided with the R side.  

Manchin supposedly joined Susan Collins in saying this morning that Kavanaugh and Comey Barrett both told them privately that if confirmed, they would respect the precedent of Roe.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:56 AM, youngredbullfan said:

Oh yes, y'all just wanted abortion legalized the right way. Right...

Do you even you believe that shit? Give me a +++++ing break

#1. Roe didn't legalize abortion. Abortion was already legal in many states at that time. Roe took away the rightful authority for the legislative branch to decide on this issue. The current court is giving it back. 

#2 I believe that those who create law on abortion should be subject to electoral recourse, yes.