Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalinasSpartan

Roe and Casey soon to be overturned

On 6/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, bornontheblue said:

Can you please point out where I argued, or supported this argument? 

I am saying the power to decide on abortion law is returned to the people, not Catholics. 

The ruling if extended by Thomas and team means the state can impose the dominant religious dogma on the rest of the state.  

On 6/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

It’s gonna take time for the stupidity to fade that bad law has wrought upon the electorate. I spoke to a lifetime Democratic voter, never voted for GOP in her life (I can say her because I’m a man and an expert in biology). She isn’t a political person at all. When told Roe was going to be overturned i mansplained to her that all it meant was the states would get to vote on it, it wouldn’t outlaw abortion. I then asked this woman, who had carried multiple children to term, when she thought the line for termination of a pregnancy should be. “12 weeks”. Squish that I am, I explained 20 weeks is the commonly accepted limit. “That’s barbaric” was basically her response. Good riddance to bad law. Let’s vote!

There is no vote in certain states already.  "Let's vote... to remove choice completely!" :USFlag:

On 6/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, Wyobraska said:

There needs to be a big push at the state level to get an abortion decision back to the people and have them vote on it. 

There also needs to be work to codify allowing contraception and gay marriage and any other right in this country which should be allowed.  

Now is the time to organize and get this codified.  Individual rights need to be protected. 

In Oregon, the right to an abortion was written into the state constitution in 1983 and further expanded those rights in 2017. So no vote needed for us. But the next thing that will come is when pro-lifers see that every woman who is not poor will travel to places like Oregon and California to get abortions, they will push for state laws punishing residents, doctors, etc., and for a national law banning abortion.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:28 AM, bornontheblue said:

The second amendment is an explicit right. It is actually written down in the bill of rights

So is the fact that government can’t impose their religious beliefs on others.  Doesn’t seem to have stopped this court.  

On 6/24/2022 at 10:35 AM, NVGiant said:

In Oregon, the right to an abortion was codified in the state constitution in 1983. So no vote needed for us. But the next thing that will come is when pro-lifers see that every woman who is not poor will travel to places like Oregon and California to get abortions, they will push for state laws punishing residents, doctors, etc., and for a national law banning abortion.

They already are 

On 6/24/2022 at 11:02 AM, bornontheblue said:

Judaism , like most religions are not monolithic in 100% of their beliefs. 

Its kind of ignorant to assume they are. 

Plus your religious is mostly, "teams and shit." 

Posted Image

On 6/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, bornontheblue said:

???

What confuses you?  Is that not what you literally meant?  In some states they are completely eliminating choice. And are trying to give prison, life at that, for choice.  Did you confuse yourself in your own argument, or did you not see this being the consequence?  

On 6/24/2022 at 11:33 AM, sactowndog said:

The ruling if extended by Thomas and team means the state can impose the dominant religious dogma on the rest of the state.  

No it doesn't. 

Catholics aren't even the larges religion in the US. Mainline and evangelical protestants are the predominant Christian religion. 

On 6/24/2022 at 10:34 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

There is no vote in certain states already.  "Let's vote... to remove choice completely!" :USFlag:

How did that come to pass?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:23 PM, bornontheblue said:

Cool. We will just pack it back to undo everything the previous court did and effectively eliminate the third branch of government.  

It will be nice having a filibuster free Senate to send a continual stream of conservative legislation on a conveyor belt to the Whitehouse when Desantis wins in 2024. 

Fine. I'd love a Court responsive to the people. That's advantage non-fascist. Write your Republican congressperson to get it done.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:35 AM, NVGiant said:

In Oregon, the right to an abortion was written into the state constitution in 1983 and further expanded those rights in 2017. So no vote needed for us. But the next thing that will come is when pro-lifers see that every woman who is not poor will travel to places like Oregon and California to get abortions, they will push for state laws punishing residents, doctors, etc., and for a national law banning abortion.

I also expect massive pressure from east Oregonians to repeal that.  

On 6/24/2022 at 11:23 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

It’s gonna take time for the stupidity to fade that bad law has wrought upon the electorate. I spoke to a lifetime Democratic voter, never voted for GOP in her life (I can say her because I’m a man and an expert in biology). She isn’t a political person at all. When told Roe was going to be overturned i mansplained to her that all it meant was the states would get to vote on it, it wouldn’t outlaw abortion. I then asked this woman, who had carried multiple children to term, when she thought the line for termination of a pregnancy should be. “12 weeks”. Squish that I am, I explained 20 weeks is the commonly accepted limit. “That’s barbaric” was basically her response. Good riddance to bad law. Let’s vote!

Thanks for your anecdotal evidence of the "lifetime Democratic voter."  If such a person exists that doesn't understand a fundamental plank of the Democratic platform on abortion they shouldn't be a Democrat.  Most of these uniformed "Reagan Democrat" rubes are now Trumpists at this point anyway. 

Posted Image

On 6/24/2022 at 11:41 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

If someone banned guns in Idaho right now, do you believe your choice was codified?

I am not sure what you mean here by codified but I will try. 

If the ID state legislature say banned all handguns in Idaho, and the governor signed the bill, they would no longer be the legislators and the governor after the next election. The next legislator and governor would promptly get rid of the law banning handguns in Idaho. This all of course is assuming there would not be any court challenges to this hypothetical law, which in light of yesterdays decision would probably succeed. 

On 6/24/2022 at 11:35 AM, NVGiant said:

Exactly.  This is where laws need to be expanded and protections put I place.  

Each state should codify the right to marriage with another person, regardless of sex or race.  

On 6/24/2022 at 11:42 AM, youngredbullfan said:

Fine. I'd love a Court responsive to the people. That's advantage non-fascist. Write your Republican congressperson to get it done.

The court should be expanded according to the constitution....they should amend the constitution if they don't' like it.  Perhaps forcing the issue by expanding the court will allow us to get a more sane method for adding new justices. 

Posted Image