Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BobcatGoldthwait

If Gonzaga bolts for the New Big East, the MWC should pick the bones of the WCC

If Gonzaga goes to the BE I sure hope the MWC does not try to add St Mary's. I don't see what they would add. Whichita St I think would add more but would they add enough to the MWC to make it worth it to the teams currently in the MWC or would they just be one more mouth to feed?

On 4/6/2022 at 1:27 PM, bigd said:

Ultimately this would be good for the MW. The WCC has been better than us recently, but if they lose BYU and Gonzaga we will be the undisputed 2nd best league out west. 

Undisputed?? The WAC won more NCAA tourney games this year than the MWC.  

On 4/6/2022 at 9:38 PM, Shaker said:

If Gonzaga goes to the BE I sure hope the MWC does not try to add St Mary's. I don't see what they would add. Whichita St I think would add more but would they add enough to the MWC to make it worth it to the teams currently in the MWC or would they just be one more mouth to feed?

Depends on the money tbh and also would witchia state want to play late night games 

On 4/6/2022 at 7:37 PM, UofMTigers said:

huh? seeds by year...

• 2022 - 2 bids
  • 2021 - 2 bids
  • 2019 - 4 bids
  • 2018 - 3 bids

the AAC is a 2-4 bid conference and will continue to be with programs like Memphis, SMU, Temple, UAB, WSU, Tulsa, UNT, etc

Yeah, and Houston got one of those 2 bids this year, Memphis is about to get ass-raped to death by the NCAA, and you're about to welcome aboard 6 basketball turds from all over the southeast.

AAC basketball is dying on the vine.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:42 PM, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

Yeah, and Houston got one of those 2 bids this year, Memphis is about to get ass-raped to death by the NCAA, and you're about to welcome aboard 6 basketball turds from all over the southeast.

UAB is a good add though 

On 4/6/2022 at 8:38 PM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

While playing some of the nation's worst basketball programs in their glorified high school gyms. Whatever extra money they'd be getting would probably just go towards paying Marshall's buyout anyway, not anything that would help their program right now.

that doesn't even make sense...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 4/6/2022 at 7:40 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Depends on the money tbh and also would witchia state want to play late night games 

I agree it will all depend on the money. That is what I think would have to be considered would bringing in a team bring in more money then they take? While I see some competition advantages bringing in either of these schools would either of them join the MWC bring in enough money to the conference to make it worth while? Gonzaga definitely would, St Mary's or Wichita I don't see them doing so. unless one of them was able to  come as a joint deal with Gonzaga. Then you have to look at Gonzaga's view, is there enough of an advantage to move to the MWC? 

On 4/6/2022 at 6:40 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

Undisputed?? The WAC won more NCAA tourney games this year than the MWC.  

Yes.  But they're losing NMSU

On 4/6/2022 at 8:42 PM, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

lol, having Penny sit three games, losing a scholly, and vacating an NIT season isn't going to hurt Memphis hoops going forward.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 4/6/2022 at 7:52 PM, UofMTigers said:

lol, having Penny sit three games, losing a scholly, and vacating an NIT season isn't going to hurt Memphis hoops going forward.

You guys aren't the Vols. You're going to get scholarship restrictions and a post-season ban. Regardless, even if you face no punishment, you're still going to be in a conference with 5 teams ranked 150-360 in the current Net rankings. You'll get 2 games against most of those turds every season. It will be a quad 4 bonanza for Memphis hoops.

When you add one ranking anchor to your league it kills everyone elses rankings. Just ask San Jose. You're about to add 3-5 of them.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:55 PM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

I'm sure Wichita State is thrilled about playing FAU, Rice, and Charlotte every year on top of their existing cupcakes like USF, ECU and Tulane.

more like excited about playing Memphis, Temple, UAB, SMU, UNT, Tulsa, plus Tulane finished with a NET of 94 and I believe both FAU/Rice played in the CBI.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 4/6/2022 at 10:07 PM, UofMTigers said:

more like excited about playing Memphis, Temple, UAB, SMU, UNT, Tulsa, plus Tulane finished with a NET of 94 and I believe both FAU/Rice played in the CBI.

Memphis is going to get crushed by the NCAA and those other programs are mediocre to bad.

0mK6pGK.png

On 4/6/2022 at 9:11 PM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Memphis is going to get crushed by the NCAA and those other programs are mediocre to bad.

we've heard that before and yet here we are...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

UAB has had some good hoops over the few years so I would say they would be an upgrade over Central Florida. North Texas the jury is still out on them and we will see what SMU does with their new coach.

But losing Houston that is going to hurt

UNLV should have joined Big East in the 1980s and went independent in Football.

It really make sense for UNLV to go Independent in Football in 2022. New Allegiant Stadium that will allow UNLV to bring in big name teams all season long and with BYU proving independence can be done and successfully by earning a ticket to the Big-12 it would be crazy for Las Vegas not to try it.

Hello Big East.

1D459048-68D8-4096-943B-F36838506943.jpeg.718b772e97759243941f4035d0759054.jpeg

On 4/6/2022 at 8:31 PM, RebelRobert said:

It really make sense for UNLV to go Independent in Football in 2022. New Allegiant Stadium that will allow UNLV to bring in big name teams all season long and with BYU proving independence can be done and successfully by earning a ticket to the Big-12 it would be crazy for Las Vegas not to try it.

Hello Big East.

That would be incredible.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:31 PM, RebelRobert said:

Hello Big East.

BYU made independence because they have a nation wide following which UNLV does not have.  You may be right and with the new stadium it could attract some teams but I think it would be the final nail in the coffin for UNLV football. Also with the deal UNLV has with the Raiders it would be very difficult for scheduling and may force UNLV to have to play 2-3 games a year back at Sam Boyd,

I would love for UNLV to go to the BE but if it did happen they would have to find somewhere for their football to land. But even with all this I don’t see the BE bringing UNLV in.  

On 4/6/2022 at 8:56 PM, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

You guys aren't the Vols. You're going to get scholarship restrictions and a post-season ban. Regardless, even if you face no punishment, you're still going to be in a conference with 5 teams ranked 150-360 in the current Net rankings. You'll get 2 games against most of those turds every season. It will be a quad 4 bonanza for Memphis hoops.

When you add one ranking anchor to your league it kills everyone elses rankings. Just ask San Jose. You're about to add 3-5 of them.

last time we were in a spot like that aka CUSA Memphis went...

• 2006: 33-4 (Elite Eight)
  • 2007: 33-4 (Elite Eight)
  • 2008: 38-2 (Final Four)
  • 2009: 33-4 (Sweet 16)
  • 2010: 24-10 (NIT)
  • 2011: 25-10 (NCAA 1st Round)
  • 2012: 26-9 (NCAA 1st Round)
  • 2013: 31-5 (NCAA 2nd Round)

then we left for the AAC, so Memphis knows how to win in a small pond. That said...Memphis, Temple, WSU, SMU, UAB, Tulsa, and UNT are the foundation for a very good basketball conference IMHO.

mem skyline sig.jpeg