Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 4/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, ph90702 said:

You said that anybody could get 4 and 5 star recruits to Las Vegas.  Willing to change your tune?

No. UNLV has always been an easy place to recruit to compared to a shit ton of schools, and since they've even started doing "Star Ratings" every single coach UNLV has ever had has brought in at least a few 4/5 star recruits in his time here. Including Kevin as Lindsey is still committed (for now). But to be a successful head coach in college basketball you have to have some proficiency in recruiting...which is basically sales. You have to be able to 'close' recruits on the perks of playing in Las Vegas, and really appeal to them emotionally and then logically that the plan for them at UNLV is going to maximize their potential more than any other guy. It's gotta be EXCITING. 

Lon Kruger wasn't much of a closer at UNLV either-- but he was already at the level where he was established and credible that he could afford to a lower effort approach in recruiting.

Kevie doesn't have that---he's inexperienced and is a nobody. He needs to be aggressive. I know he's still learning the ropes, but his close-rate with transfers and recruits is terrible. We'll see how it develops. He's casting a really wide net and UNLV's name pops up for pretty much every kid in the portal alongside 10+ other schools.....from a glimpse its like "Hey, its cool to be in the conversation on all these top-recruits alongside all these upper tier P5 programs" --But are we really in the conversation? Or are we just another offer. Is casting a wide-net rather than a more targeted recruiting approach the best route? I'd say it's starting to reek of desperation.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 4/3/2022 at 6:23 PM, Rebels18 said:

UNLV targets Mike Saunders Jr and Justin Hill pick Utah and Georgia respectively. WHIFF and WHIFF

Two swing and misses early for Krugie Jr. Second time going after Mike in the portal and he misses again. 

He's gonna land table scraps only again this offseason isn't he? 

SpecificHauntingJaeger-max-1mb.gif

It's never in the history of college basketball been as easy to recruit than it is right now. If you can't find 5 above average basketball players with NIL, high school, juco, and 1000 players in the transfer portal then you don't deserve to be a head coach in Division 1.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:42 PM, FredHaygood said:

David Grace was mentioned on twitter. Another guy who should get consideration is Matt Abdelmassih.

I'll believe it when I see it. David Grace would be the pie in the sky hire He was UCLA's lead recruiter--considered #1 on the West Coast. Recruited 5 out of the 8 top rotation players for UCLA's 2021 Final Four Team. 

Probably doesn't have the coaching chops of Hartman, but he would be a direct upgrade as a recruiter. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 4/3/2022 at 8:26 PM, Rebels18 said:

No. UNLV has always been an easy place to recruit to compared to a shit ton of schools, and since they've even started doing "Star Ratings" every single coach UNLV has ever had has brought in at least a few 4/5 star recruits in his time here. Including Kevin as Lindsey is still committed (for now). But to be a successful head coach in college basketball you have to have some proficiency in recruiting...which is basically sales. You have to be able to 'close' recruits on the perks of playing in Las Vegas, and really appeal to them emotionally and then logically that the plan for them at UNLV is going to maximize their potential more than any other guy. It's gotta be EXCITING. 

Lon Kruger wasn't much of a closer at UNLV either-- but he was already at the level where he was established and credible that he could afford to a lower effort approach in recruiting.

Kevie doesn't have that---he's inexperienced and is a nobody. He needs to be aggressive. I know he's still learning the ropes, but his close-rate with transfers and recruits is terrible. We'll see how it develops. He's casting a really wide net and UNLV's name pops up for pretty much every kid in the portal alongside 10+ other schools.....from a glimpse its like "Hey, its cool to be in the conversation on all these top-recruits alongside all these upper tier P5 programs" --But are we really in the conversation? Or are we just another offer. Is casting a wide-net rather than a more targeted recruiting approach the best route? I'd say it's starting to reek of desperation.

Tell me you’re a biased buffoon who suffers from Rice derangement syndrome without telling me so!

I have serious doubts we can pay Grace more than what Vanderbilt is paying him but an interesting coach with some UNLV ties. He coached Lou Amundson at the AAU level before he signed with UNLV. 

On 4/4/2022 at 11:54 AM, Rosegreen said:

I have serious doubts we can pay Grace more than what Vanderbilt is paying him but an interesting coach with some UNLV ties. He coached Lou Amundson at the AAU level before he signed with UNLV. 

Is Vanderbilt still paying him? He's not there anymore.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:50 AM, ph90702 said:

Tell me you’re a biased buffoon who suffers from Rice derangement syndrome without telling me so!

Tell me you're not clever enough to argue the topic without telling me so.....by using that tired ass cliche line.

Just post another bunny pic and begone!

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 4/4/2022 at 1:52 PM, ph90702 said:

A6974FEA-21E2-447E-A854-A819360A39BC.jpeg

E4A27C62-138F-40C5-979D-9D2092851A4A.jpeg

You look like you've dropped a few. That stretchmark filter is working for you.

New swimsuit?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 4/4/2022 at 2:12 AM, Rebels18 said:

I'll believe it when I see it. David Grace would be the pie in the sky hire He was UCLA's lead recruiter--considered #1 on the West Coast. Recruited 5 out of the 8 top rotation players for UCLA's 2021 Final Four Team. 

Probably doesn't have the coaching chops of Hartman, but he would be a direct upgrade as a recruiter. 

Well he was let go at Vandy with no reason given. So who knows what he did. He could come for cheap.