Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

Comparing this season to the 20-13 campaign where the Rebs started off 11-2 with a win over illinois and a close OT loss to arizona. 

This team is light years better defensively than that team. That team had mid year defections. This team is deeper. 

On the other hand, this years MWC is deeper and better than that MWC. 

That team went 8-10 in conference and really sputtered down the stretch with injuries and leaning on an inconsistent freshman. 

I expect this years team to compete in the MWC and finish 2-5. That 2017-18 team also finished 5th. 

Finishing 5th this season, even with a better conference record, would feel like a let down. Even though Rebs were picked 6th.

On 11/30/2022 at 1:45 PM, qwelish said:

Comparing this season to the 20-13 campaign where the Rebs started off 11-2 with a win over illinois and a close OT loss to arizona. 

This team is light years better defensively than that team. That team had mid year defections. This team is deeper. 

On the other hand, this years MWC is deeper and better than that MWC. 

That team went 8-10 in conference and really sputtered down the stretch with injuries and leaning on an inconsistent freshman. 

I expect this years team to compete in the MWC and finish 2-5. That 2017-18 team also finished 5th. 

Finishing 5th this season, even with a better conference record, would feel like a let down. Even though Rebs were picked 6th.

Anthony Smith is accused of murder!

Seems like a long lay off and a bunch of positive press clippings since the practice/scrimmage/game vs Life Pacific.

Hopefully they are having hard practices to stay focused. SD will come to play and they need to be ready. I share other peoples concerns that that this will be a tough one. 

On 11/30/2022 at 8:22 PM, Rosegreen said:

Seems like a long lay off and a bunch of positive press clippings since the practice/scrimmage/game vs Life Pacific.

Hopefully they are having hard practices to stay focused. SD will come to play and they need to be ready. I share other peoples concerns that that this will be a tough one. 

Steve Lavin is a good coach.  He will get solid players and make them a factor in the WCC.

T-minus 30 minutes! 😊

On 12/1/2022 at 7:02 AM, quickdraw said:

It was at the conclusion of Game #8 last year that you started the FIRE KEVIN KRUGER!! thread.

A moment that will live through the ages.

Not really unprecedented, 4-4 or 4-5 start with a couple of blowout losses sprinkled in there, empty Mack etc. That team was more talented than this years. No excuse for that kind of start, the team finished as it started and choked. 

On 11/30/2022 at 8:29 PM, ph90702 said:

Steve Lavin is a good coach.  He will get solid players and make them a factor in the WCC.

T-minus 30 minutes! 😊

Lavin was rejected by UNLV, what? 4-5 times when the position opened the last 2 decades. He’ll be motivated as will the team. 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:51 AM, qwelish said:

Would anyone like to revisit that, "No way the schedule is good enough for an at-large bid" discussion?

I'm all ears.

image.png.be96371576f1d010fd7ca020976887d6.png

Our pomeroy rankings are as follows:

Nonconference strength of schedule ranking: 280 (!!!!!)

Adjusted strength of schedule: 281

Average of opponent offenses: 340

Average of opponent defenses: 166

Our opponents are ranked as follows (out of 363 total teams):

UNLV: 89

Southern: 225

Incarnate Word: 352

Dayton: 55

High Point: 201

S. Illinois: 92

Minnesota: 149

Life Pacific: NR

I don't know what site you used that got UNLV as the 26th toughest SOS, but it's laughable and obvious selective stats you are using here.  We have been doing very well based on our schedule, but to say it's not a cupcake schedule and pimp it as the 26th best in the country is highly humorous.  Here is the site I used:

https://kenpom.com/

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

For one, nobody has UNLV in a bracket, Lunardi only has SDSU going to the Dance at this point. MW isn’t getting any respect and neither is UNLV despite being 7-0.  Team still has a lot to prove despite the undefeated start. That only means the schedule is soft as charmin. 

The Rebels probably only get in if they win the conference tournament, that’s the way the schedule was set up. They should be good for an NIT bid which is a success in my eyes. 

On 12/1/2022 at 11:03 AM, VincentVegaBond said:

Our pomeroy rankings are as follows:

Nonconference strength of schedule ranking: 280 (!!!!!)

Adjusted strength of schedule: 281

Average of opponent offenses: 340

Average of opponent defenses: 166

Our opponents are ranked as follows (out of 363 total teams):

UNLV: 89

Southern: 225

Incarnate Word: 352

Dayton: 55

High Point: 201

S. Illinois: 92

Minnesota: 149

Life Pacific: NR

I don't know what site you used that got UNLV as the 26th toughest SOS, but it's laughable and obvious selective stats you are using here.  We have been doing very well based on our schedule, but to say it's not a cupcake schedule and pimp it as the 26th best in the country is highly humorous.  Here is the site I used:

https://kenpom.com/

Hate to see it but UNLV could be one of those 22-24 win teams that miss the tournament. Going to be a lot of teeth gnashing & pissed off folks around here. Some of us knew it when they released the schedule. 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:29 AM, VincentVegaBond said:

I'm pretty sure it was after 4 or 5 games.

Nah it was the 8th game of his 1st season. No justification other than wanting to be the popular kid on campus. That thread seems to have vanished or it’s name was changed again.

I don’t see anyone seriously saying that this team is anything other than a damn hard working group that have bought into a system and style of play. They seem to be playing well together as a team even though they are a “bunch of shrimps and scrub leftovers from P5 benches”.  It’s been a little quiet lately but we all know that after the first loss the sky will be falling once again. 

This team was picked to finish 6th in MWC play. Still a month to go before the real season starts.