Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

7 games in with 5 to go till conference play. This team started small with an expectation of being limited on offense. We also started a little on the small side. While those things were and are still somewhat true, things are changing.

The return of Cottrell is still  an unknown but he sure looked smooth during his 9 minutes. He plays very confident. He’ll need Pt to get into game shape and the clock is ticking. Jones while he appears to be slow is deceiving quick especially on the boards. The way he plays is totally bought in. Hall and Nowell add good size also, both just needing PT to progress but they’ll need to earn it. Next year is looking good though with these 3. They won’t get pushed around. Add in Muoka and Iwuakor and the front line looks to improve from this point forward. 

The heart and soul of this team is firmly rooted in our guard play and especially on defense. Gilbert, Harkless, Rodriguez and Parquet are an unstoppable force to this point. Rotation guys are finding their game and getting much better playing team ball on both ends. Some players like Parquet go somewhat unnoticed. Eli while only shooting 11% from 3 is still shooting 47% overall. How can that be? Team ball with a very experienced core. This team is fun to watch and are ready to move up in the competition that’s coming. We’ll start taking our lumps soon enough but until then I think they’ll just continue to put in the work and leave it all on the floor.

32F6D050-FE2D-4511-AA27-1E96AED03FB5.jpeg

Get old, stay old. 

Something MM preached, but at times did not stick to.

KK went all in and got the Rebs older immediately. It's paying off.

Continuity, smart scheduling and of course recruiting are key moving forward.

The one ooc is pretty much a success already, but Rebs still have not played a true road game. A couple are coming and I'm expecting a split on those games.

Entering the second season with 1-3 losses will put a bullseye on the Rebs backs and won't be sneaking up on anybody.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:42 AM, quickdraw said:

7 games in with 5 to go till conference play. This team started small with an expectation of being limited on offense. We also started a little on the small side. While those things were and are still somewhat true, things are changing.

The return of Cottrell is still  an unknown but he sure looked smooth during his 9 minutes. He plays very confident. He’ll need Pt to get into game shape and the clock is ticking. Jones while he appears to be slow is deceiving quick especially on the boards. The way he plays is totally bought in. Hall and Nowell add good size also, both just needing PT to progress but they’ll need to earn it. Next year is looking good though with these 3. They won’t get pushed around. Add in Muoka and Iwuakor and the front line looks to improve from this point forward. 

The heart and soul of this team is firmly rooted in our guard play and especially on defense. Gilbert, Harkless, Rodriguez and Parquet are an unstoppable force to this point. Rotation guys are finding their game and getting much better playing team ball on both ends. Some players like Parquet go somewhat unnoticed. Eli while only shooting 11% from 3 is still shooting 47% overall. How can that be? Team ball with a very experienced core. This team is fun to watch and are ready to move up in the competition that’s coming. We’ll start taking our lumps soon enough but until then I think they’ll just continue to put in the work and leave it all on the floor.

32F6D050-FE2D-4511-AA27-1E96AED03FB5.jpeg

when do you like UNLV takes their first L?

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 11/27/2022 at 9:50 AM, qwelish said:

If UNLV wins @ San Diego and vs USF it will be in conference as a ranked team.

But I'm calling @USD.

USD was spooky when they almost took down Utah St, but then dropped to NMSU and Nicholls.

I'm thinking our first L will be USF...I hope not because they're really the last opportunity for a solid OOC win. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 11/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, quickdraw said:

Just for perspective the current Kenpom has: 

SDSU at #18       SOS- 7
USU at   #48       SOS- 170
BSU.at.  #68.      SOS- 105
UNLV at #86.     SOS- 271

OOF that SOS

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 11/27/2022 at 9:54 AM, Rebels18 said:

USD was spooky when they almost took down Utah St, but then dropped to NMSU and Nicholls.

I'm thinking our first L will be USF...I hope not because they're really the last opportunity for a solid OOC win. 

I mostly picked USD because it's the 1st true roadie.

Never know how that goes with a new bunch.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:48 AM, Rebels18 said:

when do you like UNLV takes their first L?

Your guess is probably better than mine. Could be USD, WSU or SF. 

This is a good start for basically a new team. They’ve had the time and schedule to get up up speed and on the same page but still against relatively weaker competition. The schedule has allowed them time to come together. Still with an injury or two to our starting 4 guards and it gets tougher quickly. Are we overachieving, lucky or good. At this point I only know they are all in for the season. Maybe a 3-5 MWC team at this point.

What are your thoughts?

UNLV is holding serve. I can't call this overachieving based on the SOS. I've wanted a softer schedule for a while just so UNLV isn't getting the doors blown off, lowering any chance of postseason. 

They need to continue to hold serve during mworst play. 3-5 is holding serve. Not sure Rebs can win the conference, but usu should never be looked at as unbeatable foe UNLV. 2nd place or a tie for 1st are on the table until proved otherwise. 

At this point UNLV is playing for which postseason. Not to make a postseason. It's exactly what I've been asking for.

On 11/27/2022 at 10:08 AM, qwelish said:

I mostly picked USD because it's the 1st true roadie.

Never know how that goes with a new bunch.

I was looking at the USD stats. They have shot extremely well at times but have also faltered at other times. Defense travels and I’d expect their environment  to be much the same as it was in SoCal. I’m more worried about their outside shooting.

In the USU game they scored a bunch of points, 89. Conversely High Point dinged us for 68 but overall we give up 58 on average while scoring 70 average not counting last night. So far defense wins but our offense is starting to come together. 

On 11/27/2022 at 11:03 AM, quickdraw said:

I was looking at the USD stats. They have shot extremely well at times but have also faltered at other times. Defense travels and I’d expect their environment  to be much the same as it was in SoCal. I’m more worried about their outside shooting.

In the USU game they scored a bunch of points, 89. Conversely High Point dinged us for 68 but overall we give up 58 on average while scoring 70 average not counting last night. So far defense wins but our offense is starting to come together. 

The last two loses were neutral court games. They weren't very competitive in those.

usu  was the only loss @ usd and it was hard fought. I'm betting this is one of those squads that shoot the lights out at their place and UNLV tends to give up wide open looks. It's a recipe for a loss if UNLV doesn't tighten those screws, but when asked about open looks KK  denied its an issue.

usd is a carbon clone of how usu, boise, csu play the game. Those teams are also usually not as good on the road because they thrive shooting in their gym.

Let's see if helping off shooters is an issue or if KK was wise to discount it. 

Not even going to go down the road of if or when CKK denied or is discounting playing defense on outside shooters. What I’ve seen so far and again not counting last night, opponents are shooting 33% from 3. A few players have gone off on us but overall defense has been pretty solid. That said USD has several guys shooting well from 3. So this should be a good test and learning experience. 

On 11/27/2022 at 11:33 AM, quickdraw said:

Not even going to go down the road of if or when CKK denied or is discounting playing defense on outside shooters. 

He was asked about it in the S Illinois press conference. He said something to the effect of, 'it doesn't happen often.' Etc. 

On 11/27/2022 at 12:13 PM, qwelish said:

He was asked about it in the S Illinois press conference. He said something to the effect of, 'it doesn't happen often.' Etc. 

To get something you need to give up something. What do you want to give up?

Trap on the baseline? So layups and short jumpers. How many steals out of that trap have we got this year?

Doubling on bigger or better players? How many tips, steals or bad pass turnovers have come off of those doubles?

We could play straight man or a zone like the past decade. How well has that worked?  AFA and USU running back door cuts and layup drills.

We all hate seeing those 3’s go in but can’t defend everything. You can defend the high percentage shots and make things more difficult from the outside. Sooner or later we’ll get burned but whoever does it will need to really be on for the night. 

I have no idea where this year is going but it is refreshing to see the style we’re playing. It’s reminiscent of something I’ve seen  in happier days. 

On 11/27/2022 at 12:39 PM, quickdraw said:

To get something you need to give up something. What do you want to give up?

Trap on the baseline? So layups and short jumpers. How many steals out of that trap have we got this year?

Doubling on bigger or better players? How many tips, steals or bad pass turnovers have come off of those doubles?

We could play straight man or a zone like the past decade. How well has that worked?  AFA and USU running back door cuts and layup drills.

We all hate seeing those 3’s go in but can’t defend everything. You can defend the high percentage shots and make things more difficult from the outside. Sooner or later we’ll get burned but whoever does it will need to really be on for the night. 

I have no idea where this year is going but it is refreshing to see the style we’re playing. It’s reminiscent of something I’ve seen  in happier days. 

I want it to be adjustable. Some teams can hit those shots all day, but cant raise up and dunk over the defense or make driving lay ups. I think KK can adjust, but we havent seen it yet. Bombing 3's is how a lot of the m worst teams play.

SD and USF should be good measuring sticks. They play mwc style basketball and usd is similar to a mwc atmosphere.

I like turning teams over, but what happens when UNLV doesnt get that done? We dont know yet. 

We should play some man and some zone. KK sprinkled in a 2-3 in the 2nd half v dayton. Can the Rebs sit down and guard mano e mano and not bring that double at times? I think they can and I think they will need to, or zone up, again in the future in order to beat some teams. Key words, 'I think'.

No, cant defend everything, but you have to pick your poison. It's been smart to take away driving and passing lanes vs the teams UNLV has played so far. But can they take the 3 away from outside shooting teams? Curious to see what happens when the other team has depth of multiple guys who can hit shots fall over the floor.

Riding high off of the wins so far. Im anticipating m worst play too. 

On 11/28/2022 at 8:47 AM, qwelish said:

I want it to be adjustable. Some teams can hit those shots all day, but cant raise up and dunk over the defense or make driving lay ups. I think KK can adjust, but we havent seen it yet. Bombing 3's is how a lot of the m worst teams play.

SD and USF should be good measuring sticks. They play mwc style basketball and usd is similar to a mwc atmosphere.

I like turning teams over, but what happens when UNLV doesnt get that done? We dont know yet. 

We should play some man and some zone. KK sprinkled in a 2-3 in the 2nd half v dayton. Can the Rebs sit down and guard mano e mano and not bring that double at times? I think they can and I think they will need to, or zone up, again in the future in order to beat some teams. Key words, 'I think'.

No, cant defend everything, but you have to pick your poison. It's been smart to take away driving and passing lanes vs the teams UNLV has played so far. But can they take the 3 away from outside shooting teams? Curious to see what happens when the other team has depth of multiple guys who can hit shots fall over the floor.

Riding high off of the wins so far. Im anticipating m worst play too. 

We’ll see about everything thrown at these guys in games to come. We’ll also see what adjustments are made. So far I’d say CKK and staff have won those battles. We aren’t perfect but so far we’ve been good against lesser competition. I’m looking forward to future challenges and hope everyone plays us tough. This team needs to be take the next step and get ready for conference play.

My expectations haven’t changed. They are still listed in my signature below where they have been since Rice was coach. 

NCAA stats...

3pt attempts;

6. USF    -   215 attempts

58. SJSU -  177 attempts

72. AFA  -  171 attempts

92. WYO - 166 attempts

96. USD  -  165 attempts

104. UNLV - 162 attempts 

105. S illi    - 162 attempts - (already played)

3pt FG %

1. Wash St - 50%

2.   USU     - 48%

63. reno     - 38%

66. USD     - 38%

80. Southern - 37%  (already played) 

120. SJSU   - 36%

145. CSU    - 35%

146. Hawaii -35%

157. AFA     - 35%

173. UNLV  - 34%

UNLV has only played two of the top 12 teams in 3pt shooting on the schedule. Five of those top % 3pt shooting teams are in the mwc and UNLV plays four of those teams twice.