Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 7/29/2022 at 5:34 PM, quickdraw said:

Well I guess that was a good staff from last year. Now all moved up to P5 assistant jobs. Plenty of opportunity in Las Vegas.

P5 vs G5 assistants is not really much of a difference.

On 7/30/2022 at 9:00 AM, Rosegreen said:

I think you’ll see UNLV alum Justin Hawkins fill the third assistant role. 

I like Justin Hawkins, but he’s never been an assistant.

If you’re over 30 and have never been an assistant, that’s a huge red flag.  Same thing if you’re over 40 and have never been a head coach.

On 7/30/2022 at 11:09 AM, ph90702 said:

I like Justin Hawkins, but he’s never been an assistant.

If you’re over 30 and have never been an assistant, that’s a huge red flag.  Same thing if you’re over 40 and have never been a head coach.

True but it’s the third assistant, you need someone that is an absolute dog on the recruiting trail.

Apparently Chappell had enough connections and made a name for himself on the trail. Problem is we don’t have a closer in the HC role. 

On 7/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, 4UNLV said:

Hadn't even thought of this.. It wouldn't be the first time a coach was hired for another reason, lol.

I'm not a fan of hiring a player's father as an assistant unless it's a generational player and the missing piece for a national championship.

On 7/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, 4UNLV said:

Hadn't even thought of this.. It wouldn't be the first time a coach was hired for another reason, lol.

Happens all the time. That's why Beard loves Chappy.

On 7/30/2022 at 11:53 AM, Rosegreen said:

True but it’s the third assistant, you need someone that is an absolute dog on the recruiting trail.

Apparently Chappell had enough connections and made a name for himself on the trail. Problem is we don’t have a closer in the HC role. 

Mike Peck would be a good choice.

https://unlvrebels.com/news/2022/7/28/mens-basketball-runnin-rebels-to-play-three-games-in-canada-in-mid-august.aspx

LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV men's basketball program will get an early start to the 2022-23 season as the Runnin' Rebels will play three exhibition games during a six-day foreign tour in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

As part of the trip per NCAA rules, UNLV is allowed to have 10 days of practices, which start August 2. Saturday, August 13 has been designated as an open practice for fans to attend before the team leaves for Canada. The practice that day will begin at 10 a.m. in the Mendenhall Center with free admission and the team will sign autographs.