Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 7/28/2022 at 4:38 PM, Rebels18 said:

there's gotta be some names on the schedule otherwise they wouldn't be pumping it up as a NCAA Tourney caliber resume.....the only semi-decent games on that schedule were NIT Dayton and a probable match-up against b10 doormat Minnesota. 

That might be copium on my part but that would be friggin ridiculous 

I came away thinking semi soft schedule after I read the article.

Lots of buzz words and phrases, "hopefully", "wanted it to be", "I think its" and a bunch of pre excuses.

Not saying it will be soft, but this article seemed to lay down a soft landing for a KK pillowy soft schedule.

That's just how I read it, but I want a soft to semi soft schedule and 24 - 27 wins. So I won't be upset at all, but they have to win.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:14 PM, qwelish said:

I came away thinking semi soft schedule after I read the article.

Lots of buzz words and phrases, "hopefully", "wanted it to be", "I think its" and a bunch of pre excuses.

Not saying it will be soft, but this article seemed to lay down a soft landing for a KK pillowy soft schedule.

That's just how I read it, but I want a soft to semi soft schedule and 24 - 27 wins. So I won't be upset at all, but they have to win.

This!

Just spitballing: 

Oklahoma (honor Lon game)

BYU or Utah Valley 

Minnesota 

Colorado

Long Beach State 

Cal State Fullerton 

Doesn’t scream NCAA tourney resume but not terrible either. 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:03 PM, Rosegreen said:

Just spitballing: 

Oklahoma (honor Lon game)

BYU or Utah Valley 

Minnesota 

Colorado

Long Beach State 

Cal State Fullerton 

Doesn’t scream NCAA tourney resume but not terrible either. 

I hope we dont get into the habit of playing Oklahoma. Just not a lot of upside in that matchup for UNLV.

But the rest of those teams would fit into what id like to see them do right now. 

“I like it,” Kruger said. “I think it’s very competitive. We’re in a good MTE. We’ve got some good games here in Vegas, we’ve got good road games that are going to be very challenging. I think it’s a really good, solid schedule.”

What the hell is were in a good MTE mean? Can anyone clarify? I feel dumb for not knowing, but not sure if I should.

A solid OOC schedule with 5 or 6 teams in the Net 20’s to 70’s would be great. Currently San Francisco is #26 and Dayton #52. In conference SDSU at #30, BSU at #34 and CSU at #35 add 6 opportunities for good wins, if we can win. Even Wyoming at #58 and USU at #65 are solid. People looking for a Duke , Kentucky or Gonzaga game must think 25pts losses look good on a resume. That’s where D2 teams make their money, as sacrificial lambs. 

Every bit as important is that with this type of schedule we can’t have any bad losses. Need to be solid in games against SJSU, UNM and AFA. This is a big step forward towards building respectability and that is what get teams into March.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:31 AM, qwelish said:

“I like it,” Kruger said. “I think it’s very competitive. We’re in a good MTE. We’ve got some good games here in Vegas, we’ve got good road games that are going to be very challenging. I think it’s a really good, solid schedule.”

What the hell is were in a good MTE mean? Can anyone clarify? I feel dumb for not knowing, but not sure if I should.

Multi Team Event.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/22969252/2022-23-mens-college-basketball-exempt-multi-team-events-mte-thanksgiving-early-season-tournaments

On 7/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, qwelish said:

I hope we dont get into the habit of playing Oklahoma. Just not a lot of upside in that matchup for UNLV.

But the rest of those teams would fit into what id like to see them do right now. 

So, just play shit opponents?  LOSER mentality!

On 7/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, qwelish said:

I’m just guessing but I do think it makes sense about having Oklahoma on the schedule and/or Kansas State to honor Lon Kruger for getting into the HOF. Also could be Florida (Hartman connection and Lon coached there), but that’s unlikely. 

Kruger jr WANTED to announce a specific school and I just got the feeling it’s Oklahoma because they (Sooners) are taking their time announcing their OOC schedule. 

Other than that, I think UNLV schedules someone close to home, Big West/WCC/WAC. I’d like to see one or more of  BYU, Utah Valley, Grand Canyon. Those schools won’t hurt the resume.  

On 7/29/2022 at 2:57 PM, ph90702 said:

Kevin Kruger needs an ace recruiter.

He needs to hire David Grace. One of the best recruiters of the last 20 years in College Basketball with strong AAU connections is available. Grace is coaching High School basketball in Arizona.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:25 AM, qwelish said:

We should always play Oklahoma!

Every year.

If I am forced to live here, the least Kevin Kruger can do is visit OU or Oklahoma State every season.  Throw in a Tulsa and Wichita State and a Dallas trip (SMU/TCU/North Texas) and I get my Runnin’ Rebel fix.