Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 6/24/2022 at 12:29 PM, 303Rebel said:

We disagree on this!  I think it would have made a huge difference.  When I say come back and develop your game, Bryce could have come back and shot the ball at a better percentage than what he did the previous year. Players improve their shooting percentage all the time, don’t tell me it wouldn’t have made difference.  Bryce had to shoot 30 times to get 30 points (an exaggeration) but you get my point.  

As for DW while he is talented, he just started to turn the corner and wasn’t healthy the entire year, I would argue that with a full year and him leading the team in scoring would have been great development on his part.  So while I get the draft is about potential, I also get that both of these guys could have potentially gotten better with another year at UNLV!

Like Qwelish said, they’ll get a significant check to develop in the summer leagues and g league. If they land an nba contract, they’ll be doing very well. Bryce and DW ages work against them if they opted for the next draft. I don’t see many 22-24 year olds being drafted anymore. 

Miss the old days where the players spent 3-4 years at a school, everyone followed them and that made draft night more special for the fans. Now it’s someone you never heard of or have seen play. 

Some of the guys I have seen play, like Orlando Robinson, never got drafted and left me scratching my head. Orlando has a lot of juice and size for any nba team. Wish the lakers signed him over Shareef O’Neal. 

Everyone needs to find their path forward. Most athletes initially choose a path through college because it is the only one available to them. At this point Bryce and Donovan have more options. There is a good possibility to make more money in the next few years going pro. This is a new world that is changing quickly. MBB has become more like pro basketball anymore and taking classes for many has no value in their perceived futures.

From a team standpoint the old way of going after freshmen to build on only works for the teams at the top. The disparity in money and now added advantages of NIL will always draw the best talent to these top P5 teams. After that the remaining 250 D1 teams are just there to seperate the remaining wheat from the chaff. Hidden gems once they prove themselves are gone, to the P5 or Pro. We get the benefit of the movement in the other direction of players that either didn’t make the grade or were never given that opportunity.

I've always found it odd that there wasn't more of a baseball or European style farm system for college baskets. 

It's the most universally played game and has tons of sanctioned outlets from aau to high school, jc, several divisions of college, semi pro, national, overseas and lower level pro leagues.

But no real farm system. The closest thing to it is recently the d league switched to the g league and they created two way contracts.

Byt there still needs to be a way for players to be drafted and keep their eligibility ala baseball. 

On 6/25/2022 at 12:07 PM, RebelRobert said:

A 6’11” guy to ride pine at #13 isn’t bad is it?

Needed another practice guy at his position. Another project, I just hope he has hands better the our bigs of recent past. He does seem to like to rebound on both ends and block shots so there’s that.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:07 PM, RebelRobert said:

A 6’11” guy to ride pine at #13 isn’t bad is it?

When we have 1,700 players per year transferring, it is.  Get the best players you can get and let the chips fall where they may.

On 6/25/2022 at 2:40 PM, ph90702 said:

When we have 1,700 players per year transferring, it is.  Get the best players you can get and let the chips fall where they may.

I think we did get the best we can get unfortunately.

two brand new assistant coaches brought in late.

This will be the best team we have had in years.  At this point we have to just watch the slow build and hope for a Top 50 NET Ranking.  Kruger will slowly move us back to respectability a place we haven’t seen in awhile.  Once there, we can try to become elite once again.  I am overjoyed with this class he brought in.  We are getting closer to being able to compete, we have a strong eight or nine guys.

I’ll take the signing!  I too like the guys Kevin and Co. have brought in and this guy seems to take shot blocking personal and I like that kind of ownership in the paint.  Some may crap on this guy but we need someone like this in the middle for us.  

On to Canada!

On 6/25/2022 at 2:20 PM, 303Rebel said:

I’ll take the signing!  I too like the guys Kevin and Co. have brought in and this guy seems to take shot blocking personal and I like that kind of ownership in the paint.  Some may crap on this guy but we need someone like this in the middle for us.  

On to Canada!

Give me a break man, Kruger somehow managed to downgrade from James Hampshire....Even I can't spin this sh*t. We didn't need anymore practice guys/depth...needed someone who can score in the post that forced Muoka on the bench into a situational shot-blocking role. 

I think Shane Nowell will end up being an extremely underrated pick-up that will be an upper-tier player in the MWC.....giving this guy a schollie was the result of incompetent recruiting. Kruger went to the bottom of the barrel after whiffing on like 10+ other PF/Cs before settling on some mid-tier JC guy who only said yes because we were his only offer. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 6/25/2022 at 2:38 PM, Rebels18 said:

Give me a break man, Kruger somehow managed to downgrade from James Hampshire....Even I can't spin this sh*t. We didn't need anymore practice guys/depth...needed someone who can score in the post that forced Muoka on the bench into a situational shot-blocking role. 

I think Shane Nowell will end up being an extremely underrated pick-up that will be an upper-tier player in the MWC.....giving this guy a schollie was the result of incompetent recruiting. Kruger went to the bottom of the barrel after whiffing on like 10+ other PF/Cs before settling on some mid-tier JC guy who only said yes because we were his only offer. 

He actually signed with Florida A&M, but that’s the SWAC, which is the worst or second worst conference each year.