Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 6/14/2022 at 3:02 PM, Rebels18 said:

Kruger really dropped the ball if this is what we're rolling with in November. He whiffed on every big name in the portal and HS, lost his best HS commit w/ Lindsey, and our best on-bench and recruiting assistant in Hartman. He still needs one big IMPACT signing and the portal is dried up and it isn't gonna be a True Freshman. 

So we got Harkless/Johnson III in exchange for Hamilton/Williams? Royce Hamm's by committee of Rodriguez and Cottrell/Iwuakor/Muoka who accounted for 9ppg combined in their respective roles last year. Going to come down to Cottrell/Rodriguez stepping up to bigger roles in a weaker conference..... 34.5% in the Big12/SEC could translate into 45% in the MWC. Muoka/Iwuakor stepped up later in the season...maybe a boost from either of them. Which of these guys make 2nd or 3rd team MWC, let-alone 1st Team? Harkless maybe if he's getting all the touches. If Johnson III ends up as a poor man's Dairese Gary I'd be happy. 

Anyone want to go out on a limb and say this is a 20+ win team? The schedule is easier but downgraded in talent. I think we're looking at a possible 2nd Year regression for baby Krugie. Even with my Scarlet Shades on I'm looking at most of the upper-tier MWC rosters with envious eyes. SDSU especially--they didn't even reload, they just got way better. 

This is a .500 team, which is embarrassing.  It’s also embarrassing that we’re playing a 💩 schedule.

On 6/14/2022 at 3:11 PM, Wyobraska said:

We are on the precipice of great memes once again.  Hopefully KK gets the most out of these kids but the memes will be great if he doesn't.  

Wait till baby Pitino starts slapping Kruger around in next installment of THE 22/23 MWC NEPOTISM BOWL! 

Baby Pitino inherited a worse mess than Krugie, brought in a Top-50 recruiting class and had a big head-to-head recruiting battle win for the Wichita St big-man Morris Udeze...who some UNLV fans were huffing HUGE amounts of copium that we "passed" on him in favor of better prospects like Keba Keita, WHIFF,  Adrame Diongue, WHIFF Mouhamed Gueye....WHIFF. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 6/14/2022 at 3:02 PM, Rebels18 said:

Kruger really dropped the ball if this is what we're rolling with in November. He whiffed on every big name in the portal and HS, lost his best HS commit w/ Lindsey, and our best on-bench and recruiting assistant in Hartman. He still needs one big IMPACT signing and the portal is dried up and it isn't gonna be a True Freshman. 

So we got Harkless/Johnson III in exchange for Hamilton/Williams? Royce Hamm's by committee of Rodriguez and Cottrell/Iwuakor/Muoka who accounted for 9ppg combined in their respective roles last year. Going to come down to Cottrell/Rodriguez stepping up to bigger roles in a weaker conference..... 34.5% in the Big12/SEC could translate into 45% in the MWC. Muoka/Iwuakor stepped up later in the season...maybe a boost from either of them. Which of these guys make 2nd or 3rd team MWC, let-alone 1st Team? Harkless maybe if he's getting all the touches. If Johnson III ends up as a poor man's Dairese Gary I'd be happy. 

Anyone want to go out on a limb and say this is a 20+ win team? The schedule is easier but downgraded in talent. I think we're looking at a possible 2nd Year regression for baby Krugie. Even with my Scarlet Shades on I'm looking at most of the upper-tier MWC rosters with envious eyes. SDSU especially--they didn't even reload, they just got way better. 

I think your description of what took place in the offseason is spot on. 

We see things a bit differently regarding regression of the program. Yes UNLV lost some top shelf scoring. Even though DW would not have been seen as a big loss before last season. No way to tell how the team goes about creating offense, but i'll admit theres not a whole lot to look at preseason. 

It seems like a defensive unit which could generate scores that way, possibly. But whats clear is that there is a lot of room for improvement defensively from what last years squad put on the floor. I think KK's recruiting has addressed the defense.

For example, below are the offense/defense ratings for suds and UNLV last season:

• UNLV
  • ORtg: 104.3 (148th of 358)
  • DRtg: 97.9 (112th of 358)
  • SOS: 4.58 (91st of 358)
  • suds
  • ORtg: 99.0 (263rd of 358)
  • DRtg: 88.0 (1st of 358
  • SOS: 5.85 (80th of 358)

Based on who finished where last season; UNLV does not need a much stronger schedule. UNLV needs to improve drastically on the defensive side of the floor. Offense was not the issue last year and its probably being overblown during this offseason. 

I cant really assess win/loss totals until we see the schedules. 

UNLV basketball beginning the work for summer at Mendenhall Center

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2022/jun/14/summer-workouts-underway-for-unlv-basketball/

Kruger’s goal for summer workouts is to give the players a clear understanding of how things operate at UNLV and what is expected of them.

The team is not completely whole yet. Incoming freshman Keyshawn Hall, who committed on June 4, is on campus but has yet to be cleared to participate. Returning senior Victor Iwuakor is still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, and senior transfer Elijah Harkless is still at Oklahoma wrapping up his classes.

There are also two open scholarship slots, meaning Kruger is working with eight players out of a possible 13-man roster.

While filling the two open scholarships before the summer window would have given those hypothetical newcomers a leg up on acclimating to UNLV, Kruger is content to let the process play out and journey further into the offseason before making more roster moves.

“We’re okay waiting,” Kruger said. “Right now we want to make sure we add the right pieces to the team. With the foreign trip, I don’t think we want to rush into anything and add people just to add them.”

UNLV’s preseason exhibition tour, which will see the Scarlet and Gray head to Vancouver to take on three Canadian university teams from Aug. 15-20. The NCAA allows schools to schedule a foreign exhibition trip every three years, and one of the big benefits is that teams get to hold 10 full practices leading into those games.

Kruger believes the extra practices and the game experience will benefit a UNLV squad that figures to feature as many as eight new players by the time opening night tips off in November.

“I think the foreign trip is huge,” he said. “Having those 10 practices, having that opportunity to play together before the official season starts, I think that’s critical in an era where there’s so many transfers all the time. This gives our team an opportunity to get some of those early-season stumbles or speed bumps and maybe get through them before the official season starts.”

On 6/14/2022 at 11:02 AM, qwelish said:
  • GUARDS
  • Jackie Johnson III   G
  • Jordan McCabe      G
  • Keyshon Gilbert     G
  • Justin Webster       G
  • Elijah Parquet        G
  • Elijah Harkless       G
  • SWING
  • Luis Rodriguez       F
  • BIGS
  • Victor Iwuakor       F
  • Keyshawn Hall       F
  • David Muoka         C
  • Isaiah Cottrell        C

Looking at the updated roster, its really tough to tell who is going to play where. Looks like a huge glut at SG unless KK plays 3 guards a lot. I think he will. If not, KK has 6 guards for two positions.

On paper, the front court looks pretty thin. KK going 3 guards a lot with Rodriquez at pf, would make the roster set up make more sense. Without LR playing a good amount at pf, any injury or foul trouble in the front court will result in a lot of 3 and maybe some 4 guard rotations.

KHall is definitely going to have to play pf and based on front court depth, will probably not play any SF. That would also make Iwuakor the only pf. So pretty clear Cottrell will play the 5 for UNLV with only 2 centers on the roster.

If UNLV goes for a more traditional line up with LR playing SF only, a couple of the guards will be odd man out. It's hard to say who at this point.

It's a small team and Barett Peery specializes in the fullcourt press. Hopefully Kruger let's him do that or his hiring makes no sense.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:31 PM, FredHaygood said:

It's a small team and Barett Peery specializes in the fullcourt press. Hopefully Kruger let's him do that or his hiring makes no sense.

We will lose games with more possessions.  65 possessions or less should be the goal.

image.png.58e7c2cd78f0448452bc6dad60ec13b3.png

Hmmm.... So much for that prediction. No source connected Key and UNLV until it was nearly a done deal. 

Its usually a sign of something good when players commit out of nowhere.

Keyshawns career and early impact at UNLV could tell us a lot about KK, his eye for under the radar talent and how he is able to utilize it within his system.

Early impact being years one and two. 

On 6/15/2022 at 8:31 AM, qwelish said:

image.png.58e7c2cd78f0448452bc6dad60ec13b3.png

Hmmm.... So much for that prediction. No source connected Key and UNLV until it was nearly a done deal. 

Its usually a sign of something good when players commit out of nowhere.

Keyshawns career and early impact at UNLV could tell us a lot about KK, his eye for under the radar talent and how he is able to utilize it within his system.

Early impact being years one and two. 

That was the FanFuture cast, as in a prediction made by randos on the internet. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 6/14/2022 at 9:31 PM, FredHaygood said:

Couldn’t agree more with this.  Peery is a good recruiter but there were better options on that front.  Going to be very interested to see how much influence he has on the style of play.  As you wrote, if he doesn’t have much influence the hire is certainly questionable.

In addition to full court pressing he likes the transition game offensively as well as quick, volume, shot selection.

They have the depth and skill set to play this way and it puts the team in the best position for success.  Quite a bit of that though goes against the Lon Kruger philosophy.  We’ll soon see how flexible Kevin is going to be as a head coach.

Zaon Collins released from ankle monitor, hopes to enroll in college.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/courts/zaon-collins-released-from-ankle-monitor-hopes-to-enroll-in-college-2592090/

He had 3 nanograms of THC /per mL of blood in his system at the time of the accident. To put that into context, a single hit of marijuana cigarette can put anywhere between 7-18 ng/mL of blood. The defense is correct that's a such a negligible amount that he could of consumed marijuana days before and it would've read the same. So the DUI charge obviously isn't going to stick. Can't excuse him for going 88 mph in a 35. even though the victim did pull-out infront of him, that's reckless driving resulting in a death. He was just an 18 year old kid, I think he's suffered enough for his mistake. 

I know UNLV hasn't been "Second Chance U" like it was during Tark's days, but I'd like to see Kruger give him another shot. He's a 5-star local kid that chose to play for his hometown--- he did a bad thing but some other school is going to give him a shot at redemption. It might as well be UNLV. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

They are still going to pursue the DUI charge, in addition to the reckless driving that resulted in death charge. He’ll see jail time, basketball career is done but at least he’ll have a life down the road unlike the guy he killed. 

On 6/15/2022 at 8:56 PM, Rosegreen said:

They are still going to pursue the DUI charge, in addition to the reckless driving that resulted in death charge. He’ll see jail time, basketball career is done but at least he’ll have a life down the road unlike the guy he killed. 

He's got David Chesnoff/Richard Schonfeld defending him. Zaon is gonna walk. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 6/16/2022 at 1:37 AM, Rebels18 said:

If they don't buy his defense, Chesnoff and Schonfeld should have him pack his butt crack with Jiff Peanut Butter and put his hand down his backside - only to pull out the Peanut Butter from his arse and lick his fingers - just before the judge rules.

They'll let him out for being crazy before they find out it was sandwich spread.

He can enroll in UNLV the next day. If he can do that, he deserves his freedom... and his starting PG spot at UNLV. He definitely sounds like he'd fit the mold of those great UNLV players.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:37 PM, Rebels18 said:

Even without the DUI, he’s still facing prison. 

I also wouldn’t confuse Johnny Cochran with Chesnoff/Schonfield. Some of their comments and blame shifting in this case and the Ruggs case are perplexing.

They’ll probably get his sentence reduced significantly but it’s going to be very hard to get rid of that felony reckless charge as he was doing 88 in a 35. 

Zion STILL isn’t coming to UNLV, initially even IF he beats all of the charges. If he skates he’ll end up at a school like Iona. IF UNLV ever sees him it will be on a rebound. At this point CKK won’t or can’t play these types of games. NEXT…