Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

It's good that Keyshawn has got some chunk on him, anyone who lifts knows it's a HELL of alot easier to put on muscle when you're a bulky 6'8 250 pounds then 6'8 190 pounds. He's got a baby face but he's got the frame to play the grown man's game. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 6/4/2022 at 8:00 PM, ph90702 said:

Saying that UNLV has to recruit basically all transfers is a loser, defeatist mentality.

Where UNLV is at right now yes. Not many programs can actually recruit only freshman in today's college basketball. 

Kevin is doing a good job utilizing the transfer portal.  He has shown he is adapting to what needs to be done going forward.  I don’t mind bringing in 6-8 transfers with varying years of eligibility left.  Nice work Kevin and Co!

Donovan Williams leaving really threw a wrench in our plans......we're back in business if Kruger pulls a miracle with Keion Brooks. 

I hope Donovan got some kind of handshake deal to be a late 2nd round draft pick.

Otherwise he's 6'6 180 soaking wet after a double steak extra rice Chipotle burrito and he's gonna go bang-around with hungry G-League ballers for $40k/yr rather than bulk up and be the #1 scoring option at UNLV?! He has elite athleticism, length, and a silky shot but he's gonna get pushed around in G-League. 

We'll see on Draft Day if that was a bad business decision or not. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 6/4/2022 at 4:28 PM, Shaker said:

Will this kid be willing to sit the bench in year 1?  I don't see where he will get minutes.  At least not this next year.  Maybe in year 2 or 3 but not going to play meaningful minutes with the transfers coming in.  Depending on how Kevin finishes out the roster this kid might be too far down the depth chart to see any minutes.  

Depends on how he shows up in the fall, just like all the other newcomers. He’s going up against some guys with experience and already ahead of him in areas. The one thing he’s got going for him is his offense and size. He can be a real mismatch on the court but it all depends on how he utilizes his summer. 

On 6/4/2022 at 6:26 PM, Rebels18 said:

Donovan Williams leaving really threw a wrench in our plans......we're back in business if Kruger pulls a miracle with Keion Brooks. 

I hope Donovan got some kind of handshake deal to be a late 2nd round draft pick.

Otherwise he's 6'6 180 soaking wet after a double steak extra rice Chipotle burrito and he's gonna go bang-around with hungry G-League ballers for $40k/yr rather than bulk up and be the #1 scoring option at UNLV?! He has elite athleticism, length, and a silky shot but he's gonna get pushed around in G-League. 

We'll see on Draft Day if that was a bad business decision or not. 

Don't see DW getting drafted - If he does he's a late 1/3rd 2nd round at best --- He's just average sized & there's a lot of guys who fit his mold 

On 6/4/2022 at 7:19 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Don't see DW getting drafted - If he does he's a late 1/3rd 2nd round at best --- He's just average sized & there's a lot of guys who fit his mold 

Guys his size who can shoot and create are in demand. Probably making this decision because his family needs money. There’s a lot of factors we aren’t privy to or know what the nba chuckleheads have told him. 

There are plenty of factors for consideration but at this point he has made a decision based on his needs. Good luck DW.

This squad will by necessity need to have balance scoring. A few guys will step up to being double digit scorers but we’ll need consistent team scoring to go along with a solid team defense to compete. Think about what we’ve seen from SDSU these past few years. It may be ugly at times but it wins. I’m looking forward to some changes in style after the past decade. 

On 6/4/2022 at 7:34 PM, renoskier said:

his size won't matter...he's won't be playing for the "running" Rebels 

The biggest mistake that people think is the tempo is conducive to athletes.  It is conducive to skill level.  See BYU, Alabama, Gonzaga, etc.

DW wasnt going to be a starter on this UNLV team.  Think about that.  He would have been riding pine.  He made the decision he made to save face. Scared to compete knowing he would get beat.

Numbers weren’t going to be as good. Smarter to run now.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:50 PM, RebelRobert said:

DW wasnt going to be a starter on this UNLV team.  Think about that.  He would have been riding pine.  He made the decision he made to save face. Scared to compete knowing he would get beat.

Never change.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:50 PM, RebelRobert said:

DW would have started and been the #1scoring option. DW not coming back is going to hurt UNLV next year.  I do think we will have a better team than last year overall but would have been better with DW. Our defense will be quite a bit better and while our offense won't be as good as last year I don't think it will be as bad as most think.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:50 PM, RebelRobert said:

I need to be on this brand of Hopium. 

WAGMI BABY

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 6/4/2022 at 8:50 PM, RebelRobert said:

And people call me an idiot!

This is the same guy who said that UNLV would’ve been better off if they never hired Jerry Tarkanian.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:34 AM, ph90702 said:

And people call me an idiot!

This is the same guy who said that UNLV would’ve been better off if they never hired Jerry Tarkanian.

No doubt in my mind that UNLV would be in a better position today in 2022 if they never hired Jerry Tarkanian.  Football would be stronger and Basketball would be playing in a more appropriately sized facility, 12000 instead of 18000.

UNLV likely would have been invited to the WAC sooner 1980’s instead of late 1990’s and it is possible the MWC never would have been formed.

I wouldn’t trade the National Championship for all of that to occur but you are naive if you think UNLV wouldn’t be better off TODAY had Jerry never been hired.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:47 PM, RebelRobert said:

No doubt in my mind that UNLV would be in a better position today in 2022 if they never hired Jerry Tarkanian.  Football would be stronger and Basketball would be playing in a more appropriately sized facility, 12000 instead of 18000.

UNLV likely would have been invited to the WAC sooner 1980’s instead of late 1990’s and it is possible the MWC never would have been formed.

I wouldn’t trade the National Championship for all of that to occur but you are naive if you think UNLV wouldn’t be better off TODAY had Jerry never been hired.

Lunacy!!!

The last 30 seasons of UNLV basketball have demonstrated what the program would have been had they never hired Jerry Tarkanian.

It was never Jerry’s idea to have the Thomas & Mack Center seating capacity be as large as it is.  At the time he wanted something slightly larger than the Convention Center.  He pushed for around 10,500 - 11,000 but was over ruled by the Runnin Rebel Club and other influential people in town at the time that wanted the larger capacity.

As for the WAC, the football program at the time was division II at the time.  The school petitioned the league in 74 to try and join the WAC and were rejected.

The primary reason the WAC changed its view on the school was due to the success of the basketball program led by Jerry Tarkanian in the mid 70’s.  When they reapplied in 77 they were coming off the Final Four and none of their other men’s basketball programs at the time were competing at that level and they thought it would be a shot in the arm. Had it not been for the success of the basketball program at the time they wouldn't have even been considered.  

On 6/4/2022 at 7:24 PM, Rosegreen said:

Guys his size who can shoot and create are in demand. Probably making this decision because his family needs money. There’s a lot of factors we aren’t privy to or know what the nba chuckleheads have told him. 

Thing is, CBB is full of guys his size that can do the same thing, that's my point..........back in the day when there was a family economic reason it was called "hardship" -- I hope it works out for him, but I don't see him getting drafted - especially after sitting for 2 years at Texas & playing one in a very average MWC 

DW will make some $$ somewhere, just probably not the NBA