Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2022/jun/02/defensive-iq-is-calling-card-for-unlv-import-luis/

More videos & info in the link above 

Defensive IQ is calling card for UNLV transfer Luis Rodriguez

With Bryce Hamilton graduated and Donovan Williams entering the NBA Draft, UNLV could find itself with a major need for athletic wing players in 2022-23. Enter Luis Rodriguez, a transfer swingman from Mississippi who could be in position to soak up most of those available minutes.

So, how might Rodriguez fit in at UNLV?

Under head coach Kevin Kruger, the answer to that question begins on the defensive end of the court. Rodriguez, like most of UNLV’s offseason imports, is a defense-first player, as he ranked second among Mississippi players last year in defensive rating and defensive win shares.

He has the physical tools to be a plus defender at UNLV. In addition to his size, Rodriguez is athletic and quick and has good instincts for making life tough on opposing players.

Where Rodriguez really stands out is in making extra credit plays. He just seems to have a knack for being able to take the ball away; sometimes he sneaks up behind ballhandlers in the backcourt and picks their pocket, sometimes he helps on a driver who isn’t expecting it, and sometimes he knocks it loose just as an opponent is coming down with a rebound.

Is Rodriguez a first or second option on offense? Probably not. He averaged 6.6 points per game last year, and while regression to the mean on his 2-point shooting might give him a boost in 2022-23, UNLV will probably want at least two or three other scorers above him in the pecking order.

His defense, however, should be a boon to Kruger’s squad.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:00 PM, 303Rebel said:

2001, do you think we need another scorer and another C?

Little of both - Even if to spread the scoring out which might be harder to defend than last years team where Ham & DW carried the load 

It has been an interesting building process so far. Really curious to see how CKK fills out the remaining roster. I like what I’ve seen so far and the process this year. Still 3 more to go.

On 6/4/2022 at 7:15 AM, rebelcuff said:

He is supposed to make his announcement today at 6. I wonder if PH has any predictions for us.

St. Mary's!  Also, please @ me in the future.  I only saw this by chance.