Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 2/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, Rosegreen said:

Reputed by whom? Defense is trash. 

I think most of us did, myself included, when KK brought in a crew of defensive-minded transfers.  It certainly looked that way through most of the OOC as well, we were even talked about nationally as having a great defense.

What did them in is when MW play started, KK's utter failure to counter-adjust to MW team adjustments to our gimmicky scheme, as well as lack of personnel in certain areas (frontcourt) turned us from a legitimately good defensive team in OOC to a downright bad defensive team in conference play.  It's one of the worst storylines of the season for me, how our defense regressed so badly.  Some of it was to be expected with the higher level of competition in the MW this year, but holy crap did we ever turn into a pumpkin on that end.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 2/12/2023 at 11:50 AM, VincentVegaBond said:

I think most of us did, myself included, when KK brought in a crew of defensive-minded transfers.  It certainly looked that way through most of the OOC as well, we were even talked about nationally as having a great defense.

What did them in is when MW play started, KK's utter failure to counter-adjust to MW team adjustments to our gimmicky scheme, as well as lack of personnel in certain areas (frontcourt) turned us from a legitimately good defensive team in OOC to a downright bad defensive team in conference play.  It's one of the worst storylines of the season for me, how our defense regressed so badly.  Some of it was to be expected with the higher level of competition in the MW this year, but holy crap did we ever turn into a pumpkin on that end.

We played most of our games at home during non conference and we had fresher legs. You know you can run a 7 man rotation with all the breaks in between games, and playing lesser quality of opponents then.

I think it was one of the things this board of unlv fans were ever unanimous on, that CKK needed to expand the rotation. He didn’t.  Guys might be struggling because they aren’t “fresh”. Conditioning should be a priority this off-season. 

Secondly, coaching is a factor. CKK is going up against guys that have been coaching years, decades even. Third, talent is subpar and the roster is constructed poorly. Team needs playmakers and guys that can rebound/clear space. I wouldn’t be surprised to see another exodus/reset if CKK is sticking around. Some players have been yanked around too much with PT and development. 

On 2/12/2023 at 2:42 PM, quickdraw said:

You guys can all enjoy your pity party together. Draw straws to see who the pivot man is in your circle jerk. I’ll just enjoy your pain. REBELNET 2.0

Listen this is how it goes between UNLV fans after yet another consecutive shit season. It's not about an at-large anymore, or wins/losses anymore, It's not about a pity party, it's about who was right and who was wrong on the internet!

dude you jumped down my throat in December when I said their defensive scheme of leaving the 3 open would burn them because you over-bought the success it had in OOC---and I was right and you were wrong.

Suck it

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2023/feb/25/overlooked-no-more-unlv-signee-robert-whaleys-incr/

After two years of intense training, a slimmed-down version of Whaley might be the best player in the country at the junior college level. He’s posting 14.4 points and 6.0 rebounds per game while shooting 53.5% from the field, and he’s got the 28-0 Golden Eagles at No. 1 in the juco national rankings.

And those D-I schools who lost interest the first time around took notice of his physical transformation. After another round of recruiting last summer, Whaley turned down offers from programs like Boise State, Utah State and Wichita State to sign with UNLV — where a familiar face was instrumental in bringing him aboard.

Peery is now an assistant at UNLV on Kevin Kruger’s staff and played a big role in Whaley’s recruitment (version 2.0).

It’s safe to say Whaley’s hard work has changed Peery’s mind.

“He loves me now,” Whaley says with a laugh.

On 2/25/2023 at 4:17 PM, ph90702 said:

Another media hype story for a guy who will likely disappoint.

I have to watch more tape but his stats at JUCO aren’t eye popping as suggested. 

53% FG percentage 

38% 3 point percentage 

6 rebounds a game 

62% at the charity stripe. 

Team has a lot of needs, Whaley isn’t the answer, but he may be a good rotational guy to have. 

On 2/25/2023 at 5:53 PM, ph90702 said:

Why are you satisfied with how things are going?

We needed a miracle to beat AIR FORCE at home!

It's downright strange. I don't know what he expects us all to say after the way this season has gone, but even the most rah rah fans would generally find it disappointing.

It'd be so boring if everyone just robotically said how fantastic things are no matter what. Hell even ph, annoying as you can be, will bring some entertaining opinions.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

To all of the people who are anti-hiring a head coach from a lower level, where do you think most high major teams get their head coach from?

The vast majority are successful as a mid major head coach and then get an opportunity at the high major level.

John Wooden was hired at UCLA from Indiana State.  Mike Krzyzewski was hired from Duke from Army.  Those are the two best head coaches in NCAA history IMO.

Among current head coaches, Nate Oats started at Buffalo.  John Calipari started at UMASS.  Mick Cronin started at Murray State.  Scott Drew started at VALPO.  Bill Self started at Oral Roberts.

At the high major level, it’s usually, but not always, blue bloods who hire a head coach away from another high major.  Kansas hired Bill Self away from Illinois.  Illinois hired Brad Underwood away from Oklahoma State.  North Carolina hired Roy Williams away from Kansas.  Maryland hired Kevin Willard from Seton Hall.  Kentucky hired John Calipari away from Memphis.

At the mid major level and lower, the best teams are usually first time head coaches who have worthy of consideration for a better opportunity.  You don’t really see proven head coaches.  I guess Steve Alford would fall under proven coach.  Same with Tim Miles.

Cream rises to the top.

On 2/25/2023 at 6:18 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

It's downright strange. I don't know what he expects us all to say after the way this season has gone, but even the most rah rah fans would generally find it disappointing.

It'd be so boring if everyone just robotically said how fantastic things are no matter what. Hell even ph, annoying as you can be, will bring some entertaining opinions.

Who is saying everything is fantastic. I just posted a simple article about a current signed recruit. I made zero comments about that article yet the same guys need to jump on anything and everything about UNLV that isn’t all doom and gloom and Grimala has done those articles as well. Who here is really trying to stifle conversation. Ph thinks he’s on a roll now because so many people are frustrated. So he and others can’t seem to tolerate any kind of information or conversation that isn’t wrapped around CKK is the root of all things evil at UNLV. 

So yeah I don’t see a reason to try to shout down everything that may have a slight positive tilt to the program. I also see no reason to post the same thing over and over again to be able to thump my chest and say…SEE I WAS RIGHT. 

5D0EB7C6-0E9F-4EC4-BFF9-D6EEF805D102.gif

On 2/25/2023 at 6:49 PM, ph90702 said:

To all of the people who are anti-hiring a head coach from a lower level, where do you think most high major teams get their head coach from?

The vast majority are successful as a mid major head coach and then get an opportunity at the high major level.

John Wooden was hired at UCLA from Indiana State.  Mike Krzyzewski was hired from Duke from Army.  Those are the two best head coaches in NCAA history IMO.

Among current head coaches, Nate Oats started at Buffalo.  John Calipari started at UMASS.  Mick Cronin started at Murray State.  Scott Drew started at VALPO.  Bill Self started at Oral Roberts.

At the high major level, it’s usually, but not always, blue bloods who hire a head coach away from another high major.  Kansas hired Bill Self away from Illinois.  Illinois hired Brad Underwood away from Oklahoma State.  North Carolina hired Roy Williams away from Kansas.  Maryland hired Kevin Willard from Seton Hall.  Kentucky hired John Calipari away from Memphis.

At the mid major level and lower, the best teams are usually first time head coaches who have worthy of consideration for a better opportunity.  You don’t really see proven head coaches.  I guess Steve Alford would fall under proven coach.  Same with Tim Miles.

Cream rises to the top.

F7596C39-79A6-4DF7-B4EF-D6B6F86D0EA7.gif

On 2/25/2023 at 6:52 PM, quickdraw said:

Who is saying everything is fantastic. I just posted a simple article about a current signed recruit. I made zero comments about that article yet the same guys need to jump on anything and everything about UNLV that isn’t all doom and gloom and Grimala has done those articles as well. Who here is really trying to stifle conversation. Ph thinks he’s on a roll now because so many people are frustrated. So he and others can’t seem to tolerate and kind of information or conversation that isn’t wrapped around CKK is the root of all things evil at UNLV. 

So yeah I don’t see a reason to try to shout down everything that may have a slight positive tilt to the program. I also see no reason to post the same thing over and over again to be able to thump my chest and say…SEE I WAS RIGHT. 

5D0EB7C6-0E9F-4EC4-BFF9-D6EEF805D102.gif

That's fair but rosegreen didn't jump on you and posted a fair point. I see him as a decent rotational guy too but not one who's gonna come close to solving our problems. As for ph he is no doubt loving every second of this and I am not. But what I've seen of this team is pure doo doo.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 2/25/2023 at 7:25 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

That's fair but rosegreen didn't jump on you and posted a fair point. I see him as a decent rotational guy too but not one who's gonna come close to solving our problems. As for ph he is no doubt loving every second of this and I am not. But what I've seen of this team is pure doo doo.

Haha, so I need to explain myself?

Why?

I’m all rah rah? 

Where, show 1 rah rah post?

Who ever said anything about rosegreen?

Maybe I was talking about you?

Maybe you need explain yourself?

PH is still more wrong than right. as usual. “See I told you the Rebels would lose out” Haha, keep hoping. The mouth that roared.

Be careful though I may just post up another random news article at random times. I may even go all rah rah and post the link as well. No need to read it though as it may not tell you what ph wants to here.

On 2/26/2023 at 5:50 AM, quickdraw said:

Haha, so I need to explain myself?

Why?

I’m all rah rah? 

Where, show 1 rah rah post?

Who ever said anything about rosegreen?

Maybe I was talking about you?

Maybe you need explain yourself?

PH is still more wrong than right? “See I told you the Rebels would lose out” Haha, keep hoping. The mouth that roared.

It was a MIRACLE that they won!  There is such a thing as losing even though you won.  Friday is a perfect example of that.  If Kevin Kruger is the answer, they would've easily handled Air Force at home.

On 2/26/2023 at 5:59 AM, ph90702 said:

It was a MIRACLE that they won!  There is such a thing as losing even though you won.  Friday is a perfect example of that.  If Kevin Kruger is the answer, they would've easily handled Air Force at home.

Less than 3 minutes. You’re slowing down.

0F31A5BD-9682-4024-B83E-B3854A3CF306.gif