Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 12/5/2022 at 10:51 AM, ph90702 said:

The schedule sucks.  They need to step it up next year.  They can easily get a home and home with a solid P5 program.  Also, they can get into one of the better exempt tournaments.

I'm old enough to remember when Spoonhour brought Mizzou, Texas USC and some other P5's to the T&M .. I don't think he beat any of them though and if memory serves correct he stepped down after the Mizzou game

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

On 12/8/2022 at 9:24 PM, FredHaygood said:

I can see Hall and Nowell not being on it.

Hall will be a key player next year. He looks very smooth. Just needs a year in the weight room and training table. Nowell is a mystery at this point. Give them both a year just like Gilbert last year. 

On 12/9/2022 at 4:56 AM, quickdraw said:

Hall will be a key player next year. He looks very smooth. Just needs a year in the weight room and training table. Nowell is a mystery at this point. Give them both a year just like Gilbert last year. 

In a perfect world and 10 years ago that would happen but not in this era. Gilbert was at least in the rotation. These 2 kids are not even in the rotation and unfortunately kids don't want to wait and be developed anymore.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:18 AM, FredHaygood said:

In a perfect world and 10 years ago that would happen but not in this era. Gilbert was at least in the rotation. These 2 kids are not even in the rotation and unfortunately kids don't want to wait and be developed anymore.

Hall being a freshman definitely has immediate options. Nowell will need to sit a year after having used his get out of jail free card to come here. I don’t get wrapped up in the transfer portal deal because we have no control over those decisions. Still we’re losing a bunch of guards and ball handlers at the end of this year so opportunities abound.

All this or any staff can do is to treat the players with respect and expect the same treatment in return. Provide opportunities for development and hold players accountable for using those opportunities. This team as a whole seems to be very tight and mature. They all went through the same process and everyone has earned what they are getting. 

Some will
Some won’t 
So what 
Next

Kids buy into programs for many reasons. Frustration and Freshman go hand in hand. 

I remember during the FB Coach search, I think it was either Ajiaka or Plant made a comment about how they understood the decision to change coaches was all about business. Most players at the D1 level have come to understand the business side especially over the past few years as the NIL combined with the new transfer rules were all instituted for their benefit, also a business decision.

MBB is no different. Everyone from coaches to staff to players are making those business decisions based on what is best for them and their families. I’ve been pleasantly surprised to see that as the business implications have become more obvious to the schools maybe they are starting to see that it takes money to make money. Commitment to FB coaches salaries have doubled here the past 4 years. Changes to ticket pricing to attract more fans and families. UNLV seems to finally be getting it but it’s been years in the journey.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:18 AM, FredHaygood said:

If we have a great year as it looks like there may be many wins in store, the players leaving can easily be replaced by better players because CKK has an actual resume to point to that shows tremendous success.

Brooklyn Hicks looks very athletic, and Dedan could reclassify to 2023. Whaley can replace Hall, and CKK can focus on getting rebounders and rim protectors. 

On 12/11/2022 at 5:36 PM, Rosegreen said:

If we have a great year as it looks like there may be many wins in store, the players leaving can easily be replaced by better players because CKK has an actual resume to point to that shows tremendous success.

Brooklyn Hicks looks very athletic, and Dedan could reclassify to 2023. Whaley can replace Hall, and CKK can focus on getting rebounders and rim protectors. 

I’m enjoying the season, but I look forward to seeing who he can attract in the off-season.  As you pointed out, he has tangible evidence he can point to.

CKK got who he wanted this year, and it shows. He told everyone how he was going to build the roster, some just blew it off as “wiffs”. We lose 4 for sure and already have 2 spots filled. There could be another 1 or 2 openings for various reasons. Expect another few key transfers in if CKK can find another few players that fit his vision.

On 12/12/2022 at 5:48 AM, quickdraw said:

CKK got who he wanted this year, and it shows. He told everyone how he was going to build the roster, some just blew it off as “wiffs”. We lose 4 for sure and already have 2 spots filled. There could be another 1 or 2 openings for various reasons. Expect another few key transfers in if CKK can find another few players that fit his vision.

We need another true big, preferably a freshman.  I expect David Muoka to return, but he need to groom a replacement.  I expect 6-7 to return next year.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:11 AM, Greedy Reb said:

How many of our seniors are eligible to return? Its hard to keep track with all the covid exceptions that have been given. 

EJ Harkless, Elijah Parquet, and Jordan McCabe are done after this year.  Luis Rodriguez is a 5th year senior, but has the option for a 6th year (don't count on it).  Victor Iwuakor, David Muoka, and Justin Webster all have the option to utilize a 5th year.  I expect all three to utilize it.

I summary, 7 seniors with 4 having the option to return for another year.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:11 AM, Greedy Reb said:

How many of our seniors are eligible to return? Its hard to keep track with all the covid exceptions that have been given. 

Anyone on a NCAA roster in 2020-21 get that year back. 

Rodriguez and Cottrell are rare players that have medical redshirts for 2019-20. They have an extra year.

McCabe, EP and Harkless time out.

Webster, Rodriguez, Muoka and Iwuakor have their Covid free year if they want to use it.

Everyone else on the team are on on their normal year as shown.