Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 3/11/2023 at 2:41 PM, Rosegreen said:

Harper’s comments are contradictory, so I don’t think he truly believes the program is going in the right direction but he’s forced through circumstances (ie paying Odom, Arroyo, CKK buyout, New MBB coach wasn’t in the cards) to accept that CKK has to be given year 3. 

Everyone is expecting and hoping CKK cleans up in recruiting and field a team capable of going to the dance next season. That’s a lot of hope and it requires you to forget the past two recruiting cycles. I am not expecting a miracle or expecting this team to be any good next season. I’m expecting another very average team not good enough for NIT and a 5-7 finish in the conference. 

What’s going on right now is UNLV is kicking the can down the road. That’s all it is. 

I agree. Kruger would have to pull a rabbit out of his ass and improve dramatically for us to have much of a chance at even an NIT and top 4 finish next year. I think Harper is being patient. If Kruger miraculously takes us deep next year, problem solved. If not, I bet Harper is making inroads.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 3/11/2023 at 3:03 PM, jdgaucho said:

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Not really. Harper can focus on getting football turned around while the basketball drama plays out. When football turns around Harper will have plenty of goodwill and credibility within the community to do what is necessary. If MBB doesn’t progress at least the buyout gets reduced. If MBB does get going it’s a win/win for Harper and he looks even more credible for his patience.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:41 PM, Rosegreen said:

Harper’s comments are contradictory, so I don’t think he truly believes the program is going in the right direction but he’s forced through circumstances (ie paying Odom, Arroyo, CKK buyout, New MBB coach wasn’t in the cards) to accept that CKK has to be given year 3. 

Everyone is expecting and hoping CKK cleans up in recruiting and field a team capable of going to the dance next season. That’s a lot of hope and it requires you to forget the past two recruiting cycles. I am not expecting a miracle or expecting this team to be any good next season. I’m expecting another very average team not good enough for NIT and a 5-7 finish in the conference. 

What’s going on right now is UNLV is kicking the can down the road. That’s all it is. 

Valid points. I agree about the timing and other factors and there is some hope involved here.

I think there might be a little bit more to it, but you could still end up being correct.

The last recruiting cycle was a bit of anomaly because basically KKs entire staff bolted. 

Also we'd also have to assume that CKK has built no inroads over the past two years and that he hasn't gotten any better as a recruiter or floor coach over the past two.

I think UNLV and Harper are still trying to see what they have in CKK, but I won't be shocked if EHarp is building out his contingency plan effective immediately. 

On 3/11/2023 at 3:10 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

I agree. Kruger would have to pull a rabbit out of his ass and improve dramatically for us to have much of a chance at even an NIT and top 4 finish next year. I think Harper is being patient. If Kruger miraculously takes us deep next year, problem solved. If not, I bet Harper is making inroads.

There was some talk of CKK possibly resigning. If UNLV was a P5 school, we’d be looking for a new coach right now. No question in my mind. It’s obvious that this job is too big for CKK, that is even with the help of his dads connections. 

Harper is just playing the hand he is forced to play and CKK will have to convince/sell players to stay or come to UNLV despite his seat being on fire.

They can’t even sell the fans on going to the conference tournament (on our home court mind you) without giving away free tickets. That should tell you the interest level of this program locally. They are just going to grin and bear it for another year. 

On 3/11/2023 at 4:13 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

Menzies definitely did a better job than he was given credit. He had to put the program back together from scratch after it had been nuked to smithereens by Dweeby Dave.

The WAC was not remotely similar in stature to the MW, not even close even when the MW was down.

There were also rumors of recruiting shenanigans with MM and a possible investigation that can't be ignored.

I share your thoughts and concerns about KK. this is gonna be a pivotal offseason for him and he better get it right.

It really is crazy to think about some of the players Menzies recruited did pretty damn good for themselves at different schools. He was a guy that tried to Pad his stats with weak teams and say hey look we are improving.

Nobody on this board KNOWS anything. Everyone is just advocating for their own position. Trying to make matter of fact statements just proves the obvious. The only thing we know is that as of 6:46pm we believe that everyone is still where they were this morning. Maybe…

Soon the players will start “exploring their options” and everyone will overreact again and make more matter of fact statements to justify themselves again. We may  actually start to have educated guesses by the end of April and even then the games will start over. 

On 3/11/2023 at 6:19 PM, Rosegreen said:

They can’t even sell the fans on going to the conference tournament (on our home court mind you) without giving away free tickets. That should tell you the interest level of this program locally. They are just going to grin and bear it for another year. 

You keep making this statement to try to prove your point. Show us a link or anything about free tickets other than to students? 

On 3/11/2023 at 6:50 PM, quickdraw said:

Nobody on this board KNOWS anything. Everyone is just advocating for their own position. Trying to make matter of fact statements just proves the obvious. The only thing we know is that as of 6:46pm we believe that everyone is still where they were this morning. Maybe…

Soon the players will start “exploring their options” and everyone will overreact again and make more matter of fact statements to justify themselves again. We may  actually start to have educated guesses by the end of April and even then the games will start over. 

We will not recruit the portal or schedule well, make the NCAA or NIT, and Kevin Kruger will be fired.

Name me one thing that you see from Kevin Kruger that makes you think he is the answer.

On 3/11/2023 at 7:41 PM, ph90702 said:

We will not recruit the portal or schedule well, make the NCAA or NIT, and Kevin Kruger will be fired.

Name me one thing that you see from Kevin Kruger that makes you think he is the answer.

He'll be here next year regardless, so you may as well root for him. 

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 3/11/2023 at 6:26 PM, rebelcuff said:

It really is crazy to think about some of the players Menzies recruited did pretty damn good for themselves at different schools. He was a guy that tried to Pad his stats with weak teams and say hey look we are improving.

He did do that, as he should have.

He also took over a complete dumpster fire. He also lost his best player 7 games into his last season, and UNLV recruiting has been much worse ever since. He also has the only 20 win season since Dave Rice, the only Mcd all American recruit and the 2nd best conference finish in the last 10 years. Totz has the best mwc finish with MM left over players, and once he had all his guys it was quick downhill slide.

Will you go on record and say that the program has improved at all since then? 

So what exactly are you still balking about? The geniuses who pined for his firing were 100% wrong.

He wasn't a great coach. He was the right fit at that time and he actually wanted to be here.

Look at UNLV now. Are you happy?

On 3/11/2023 at 9:06 PM, qwelish said:

The geniuses who pined for his firing were 100% wrong.

He wasn't a great coach. He was the right fit at that time and he actually wanted to be here.

Look at UNLV now. Are you happy?

Unlike many on here I'll happily admit when I'm wrong. Hell, just this year I was wrong about UNLV having a good defense and being tough as nails.  I've said we'd be way better off had we kept Marv the last 4 years than the Otz/ Junior poo poo platter.

That being said there was no way anyone could have known at the time just how woefully incompetent DRF was. We assumed she would make good choices, or at least better than her predecessor. We were definitely proven wrong on that.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Menzies' firing indirectly brought Josh Pierre-Louis to UCSB.  He originally signed with UNLV in 2019 but when "Marv" left, so did he.  Had Menzies been retained, 'JPL' would have been a Rebel - and UCSB wouldn't have danced in 2021 or 2023.  That's one player who got away.

Anybody that has seen him play for us, you know he would have likely developed the same way in Vegas.

On 3/12/2023 at 9:19 AM, ph90702 said:

The fact that you didn’t reply to what I said speaks volumes!

Nothing we say now is going to change anything. I want Kevin to succeed more than anybody. I was at UNLV during his time there. The players on those teams were not only quality basketball players, but good people. Michael Umeh was probably the most grounded college basketball player I ever met. If the roster falls apart yet again I am going to be extremely upset, but we will just have to grin and bare it till next March.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:50 AM, rebelcuff said:

Here is an idea for KK recruiting the portal. Now that Mark Adam's was canned from Texas Tech maybe Pop Isaacs might want to come home. 

Kevin Kruger’s job depends on him hitting HOME RUNS in the portal!  If he has to get the players free trips to the Bunny Ranch, so be it!

Stuart wants a reason for optimism.

On 3/11/2023 at 6:56 PM, quickdraw said:

You keep making this statement to try to prove your point. Show us a link or anything about free tickets other than to students? 

Doesn’t matter if it’s students or not. I’ve never seen unlv give away free tickets to a tournament game, even then unlv fans were drowned out by the Utah State fans in our home court. How that isn’t embarrassing to anyone is beyond me. 

They’ve been slashing prices and giving away tickets in the CKK era. Last year they had to give away 2k tickets to the Hartford game at Michelob Ultra arena because 400-500 people were showing up to the Seattle game. They slashed tickets for the whole year and the bottom line is their season ticket retention rate is bad. Who wants to watch this crap? Honestly. 

Las Vegas Aces (WNBA) now outdraws UNLV men’s basketball. The reality is this program is dying because you look at the infrastructure in place, there’s no way we should be where we’re at.  We’re at a point now where people are consoling themselves that an 18-19 win season and flaming out before the quarterfinals of a conference tournament is ok and just have to retool and tweak some things for a shot at the NIT next season. 

On 3/12/2023 at 1:57 PM, ph90702 said:

Kevin Kruger’s job depends on him hitting HOME RUNS in the portal!  If he has to get the players free trips to the Bunny Ranch, so be it!

Stuart wants a reason for optimism.

Maybe he needs you to host some of these kids at the bunny ranch. 

On 3/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, rebelcuff said:

Maybe he needs you to host some of these kids at the bunny ranch. 

As long as they’re 21!

The thing that makes no sense to me is that, in some counties, the girls only have to be 18, but you have to be 21 to be a customer.

On 3/11/2023 at 10:57 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

Unlike many on here I'll happily admit when I'm wrong. Hell, just this year I was wrong about UNLV having a good defense and being tough as nails.  I've said we'd be way better off had we kept Marv the last 4 years than the Otz/ Junior poo poo platter.

That being said there was no way anyone could have known at the time just how woefully incompetent DRF was. We assumed she would make good choices, or at least better than her predecessor. We were definitely proven wrong on that.

Menzies wasn’t anything special, certainly not special enough to wax poetic about his time here.

He was lazy, scheduled like crap, recruited too many projects, and got pasted by the likes of AFA and Bucknell. When the heat was on, he blamed the racism at unlv, even though everyone knew he was partying at Drais. 

I don’t want to talk about Menzies, he sucked but some people have a weird obsession on Menzies and that we should apologize now for criticizing him!image.gif.b6513d9ef23556d67283fe3b358525a0.gif