Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 1/22/2023 at 4:00 AM, rebelcuff said:

I'm betting that Lon is hired as a special assistant to the head coach for next season to try to lower the pitchforks. 

Although embarrassing for Kevin, that would be a good move for him, but for UNLV, not so much if it doesn't help. The AD is already in a tough spot without having to fire Lon as well as Kevin, IF it doesn't work. If it does, then it's a great move, lol.

This is Kevin’s team. He’s a grown man. Lon is quite possibly helping but not in this way. He’s been working on getting community support for the team. That was always going to be his role. I’m quite sure they talk and what a great resource to have a dad living locally that also just happens to be a Hall of Fame coach as well. CKK isn’t going anywhere soon.

Harper has his hands full with the football program and rightfully so. That was a big move for him and it’s looking pretty good at this point. I’ve already got my season tickets.

On 1/26/2023 at 3:40 PM, quickdraw said:

This is Kevin’s team. He’s a grown man. Lon is quite possibly helping but not in this way. He’s been working on getting community support for the team. That was always going to be his role. I’m quite sure they talk and what a great resource to have a dad living locally that also just happens to be a Hall of Fame coach as well. CKK isn’t going anywhere soon.

Harper has his hands full with the football program and rightfully so. That was a big move for him and it’s looking pretty good at this point. I’ve already got my season tickets.

I tend to agree with this assessment. This season has not gone as we hoped after the great start but it is what it is and IMO it would be foolish for Harper to call for KK's head after 2 years unless he has a done deal great coach lined up. Glad to see KK has finally made some adjustments, better late than never and it's always great to see a coach making changes when needed rather than being stubborn. I feel KK, awful as this start to the MW has been, will learn and grow from it. Just hope he shows us this year he can recruit more than 8-12th men from the B12.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Definitely disappointed in the atrocious MWC meltdown we've had. I think the soft non-con and EP's injury are the biggest factors there.

While coach has to take his fair share of the blame for our roster depth (lack thereof) and the tactical issues in games, I still want him here for at least the next few years.

I am sick of the merry-go-round coaching we've had. Seems like insanity to keep hiring and firing every 2-3 years. I want to see coach get 4-5 years minimum to see if he can grow (and grow the program with him).

On 1/26/2023 at 4:19 PM, Crsmitty04 said:

I am sick of the merry-go-round coaching we've had. Seems like insanity to keep hiring and firing every 2-3 years. I want to see coach get 4-5 years minimum to see if he can grow (and grow the program with him).

Agreed barring a complete collapse and it's not a good look for a program to have that strategy. Even Rice got 5+ years with consistently declining results every single year.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 1/26/2023 at 4:06 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

Also just saw TJ poopooburger landed a McD's AA Omaha Biliew to Iowa State who is 14-4 and ranked #12 in the nation. It's a travesty how thoroughly that loser mailed it in here his 2nd year.

He failed upward and it's sickening

On 1/26/2023 at 6:40 PM, quickdraw said:

Its written all over Lon s face during games how invested he is.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 1/30/2023 at 11:35 AM, jdgaucho said:

He failed upward...

this cracks me up because it reminds me of a good friend, we call him the "shuffler".

wrecked a car as a valet parker and got promoted to bellman...a definite step up :thumbsup:

On 1/30/2023 at 11:40 AM, Rebels18 said:

Its written all over Lon s face during games how invested he is.

Proud dad watching his first born follow in his footsteps and begin his career at the highest level…D1 Head Coach.

On 1/30/2023 at 1:40 PM, quickdraw said:

Proud dad watching his first born follow in his footsteps and begin his career at the highest level…D1 Head Coach.

Yeah but they don’t smile till that game is over lol. 
the struggles Kevin had this year have to be hard on them..

On 1/30/2023 at 3:44 PM, 4UNLV said:

Yeah but they don’t smile till that game is over lol. 
the struggles Kevin had this year have to be hard on them..

Who knows the reality of the profession, UNLV and Las Vegas better than Lon. TBH most of us don’t smile much till the game is over. Lon can probably remember his beginnings.

1075DADF-5F8C-4E5B-81D8-3AB68AFB9E84.jpeg

On 1/30/2023 at 4:36 PM, quickdraw said:

Who knows the reality of the profession, UNLV and Las Vegas better than Lon. TBH most of us don’t smile much till the game is over. Lon can probably remember his beginnings.

1075DADF-5F8C-4E5B-81D8-3AB68AFB9E84.jpeg

Lon Starting at Tx-PA under a bit less scrutiny than Kevin at UNLV 

This roster keep evolving. Some players moving up like Hall and Nowell. Some players are sliding a bit like Muoka. Some players disappearing like JJ3. Parquet coming and going due to injury but when he went so did a few other things like our disruptive defense. Gilbert has been up and down but happy he’s on an upswing again now.

Staff has also been on a rollercoaster. Started looking like defensive gurus, 10-0. After going 2-7 while watching the SJSU loss  and the CSU comeback with balls being rolled up court that reputation took some hits.  Overall I’d say that the team and staff are finally getting it together, I hope and we’ll be stronger for all of the challenges we’ve faced. 

8 games remaining, 4 home and 4 road before the MWCT. We’re a half game back from the preseason predicted 6th place finish. The team is still an anomaly when we lose to CSU at home and beat them and #21 UNM on the road. Who knows how this season turns out. The conference is way up in competition this year and anything can and has already happened. Nothing to crow about but also nothing to hang our heads about either.

066D6F51-72C5-492F-B0BD-D0F712583A6C.jpeg

646B0F4D-E8CE-42BF-9F3B-919CB548D7E6.jpeg

The next 2 games should absolutely be wins, but nothing is guaranteed with this team. After that it gets tougher again. If we can steal a game vs a "better" team and win the games vs lesser teams we have a good shot to finish 9-9, which just recently would have been unthinkable after our 1-6 start. Many teams would have folded after such a start, not this one. That is something to be proud of.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

The season is on an upswing for this team right now. We’re still where we were though all season long, just one injury away from a very tough place. At the same time this past few weeks we’ve been building more depth. While we can’t lose a Gilbert or Harkless we no longer need to ride them as hard as before. Hall has helped stabilize the front line and Nowell has done the same for the backcourt. Between both of them we are finally getting consistent scoring that is sorely needed. 

It would be nice to get a string of wins going but it is even more important to continue to get more experience for the bench guys along with getting the starters stronger and healthier. That is what makes the MWC so tough every year but especially this year. It is a punishing gauntlet for over 2 months. 

I think going into this season I wanted to see 20 wins. That was my reasonable/optimistic fan goal based on what I knew of this team.

20 wins feels like the benchmark for a decent season in college hoops.

We have to go 5-3 the rest of the way to do that.

I think the team makes it happen.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:24 AM, quickdraw said:

Should have a little help on the scoring side coming next year. Added to Nowell, Hall and Gilbert the backcourt. Adding another long guard to the mix.

5D434D35-F5FE-40AE-A1E6-5588A032F7C4.jpeg

I just hope those 3 stay. In this day and age, it doesn't take much for someone to decide to transfer.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png