Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

UNLV Roster 2022 - 2023…

On 7/17/2022 at 4:10 PM, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV basketball taking advantage of extended offseason

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2022/jul/17/unlv-basketball-taking-advantage-of-extended-offse/

Kevin Kruger's squad just wrapped up its sixth week of summer workouts, which, under normal circumstances, would put them pretty close to the end of the offseason. The NCAA allows teams to hold eight weeks of organized team sessions in June and July, with four hours of on-court instruction per week, but UNLV won’t be stopping there.

The Scarlet and Gray are set to head to Canada next month for a series of exhibition games — schools can schedule a foreign exhibition trip once every three years — and teams are allowed to hold 10 full practices leading up to such a trip.

“The main benefit we want to get out of the Vancouver trip is that when October rolls around and we’re into official practices, they’re ready for it,” Kruger said. “We’re going to introduce a lot of the terminology and the way we conduct a practice, and just try to hammer home the culture and the way that everyday life is here, with morning practices and breakfast and weights and just getting in a routine. So they’re not surprised and there’s no learning curve with drills and terminology. That’s what we want to accomplish on this trip.”

UNLV’s three exhibitions will be played at the University of British Columbia (Aug. 16), University of Calgary (Aug. 17) and Fraser Valley (Aug. 19). That leaves time for two more weeks or workouts, a few days off, and then the 10 practices before UNLV hits the road for points north.

Was hoping to hear something about style of play

On 7/20/2022 at 2:14 PM, FredHaygood said:

Was hoping to hear something about style of play

"We're gonna be defense oriented and *ahem* uh something something intensity *cough* valuing each possession and uhhhhh this Canada trip is gonna be really beneficial and geeze, is it hot in here for anyone else?'

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 7/20/2022 at 3:11 PM, Rebels18 said:

"We're gonna be defense oriented and *ahem* uh something something intensity *cough* valuing each possession and uhhhhh this Canada trip is gonna be really beneficial and geeze, is it hot in here for anyone else?'

His statement should be that they’re going to full court press and contest the whole 94 feet of court.  Win the final 10 minutes. Shoot a bunch of three pointers.  Play 10 guys.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:47 AM, qwelish said:

I'm shocked that going into year two of the KK Era, that KK is seemingly already on the hot seat with UNLV internet fans.

No I'm not.

Not at all.

No hot seat, just hot air. Consider the source and the history. Nuff said.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, ph90702 said:

He won’t.  It was a nepotism hire.  And Lon wasn’t that great either.

Well, I was against the hire from the get go, but I had to admit KK really developed some of those kids and got them to play some defense, which we hadn’t seen for years. I think he’ll take them a step further this coming year, relying on defense. And we don’t know who is working on their shot as we speak, a kid can work wonders over the summer, and develop himself into a threat. They know what they need to do, and they will need to step up to fill some big shoes. I think this is board is a little hard on him, after only 1 year. We’ll see. 

Don’t you know that it is all about the stars and the name. Same idiots want to keep going down the same road while expecting different results. How many times has the same idiot been wrong about everything he says? Almost every time and the almost part is being generous. 

Who was the last coach to take this program to a S16? Who was the point guard on that team? Even CDR early success was because of the team that Lon left behind. PHool wants attention and he somehow keeps getting pity responses to his rantings. 

At this early point I have no idea where CKK will take us but it sure is refreshing to finally be on a different path than the last decade. This board has nothing…zero… nada to do with how UNLV fans feel about the program. The loudest voices here haven’t been to a game in years. They have zero support for the program and are just seeking your attention and approval. Go ahead and continue to stroke their fragile egos.

363719FC-85A1-4611-81DD-56EEE078B81D.jpeg

I hope we will see like father like son. Lon becomes the 2nd HOF coach at UNLV.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/lon-kruger-heading-to-college-hall-of-fame-2600332/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Roy Williams and Jim Calhoun will join John Beilein and Lon Kruger in a star-studded cast of coaches who will be inducted into the National College Basketball Hall of Fame in November.

Kruger also made two Final Four trips, first with Florida and then with Oklahoma, while leading five programs to the NCAA Tournament. Kruger’s son, Kevin, is entering his second season as the UNLV men’s basketball coach in Las Vegas.

On 7/21/2022 at 1:49 PM, quickdraw said:

Don’t you know that it is all about the stars and the name. Same idiots want to keep going down the same road while expecting different results. How many times has the same idiot been wrong about everything he says? Almost every time and the almost part is being generous. 

Who was the last coach to take this program to a S16? Who was the point guard on that team? Even CDR early success was because of the team that Lon left behind. PHool wants attention and he somehow keeps getting pity responses to his rantings. 

At this early point I have no idea where CKK will take us but it sure is refreshing to finally be on a different path than the last decade. This board has nothing…zero… nada to do with how UNLV fans feel about the program. The loudest voices here haven’t been to a game in years. They have zero support for the program and are just seeking your attention and approval. Go ahead and continue to stroke their fragile egos.

363719FC-85A1-4611-81DD-56EEE078B81D.jpeg

This! As a fan dating back to Tark. Lon was the only bright moment post-Tark, and we are now back on track. This is the most excited I have been in years. 

UNLV basketball freshman Keyshawn Hall brings varied offensive skill set

https://lasvegassun.com//news/2022/jul/25/unlv-basketball-freshman-keyshawn-hall-brings-vari/

Good read. Pretty much what I said about him. Offensive threat, not a shot blocker, 3-4 position tweener. 

He's going to need to learn how to protect the ball and to choose his spots on drives better, but should be a decent slasher and post option right away. 

Not sure about his passing or shooting on this level, because the size and speed of defenders is so much greater that adjustment periods are usually necessary. 

Also curious where KK plays him, 3 or 4.

On 7/25/2022 at 10:22 AM, qwelish said:

https://lasvegassun.com//news/2022/jul/25/unlv-basketball-freshman-keyshawn-hall-brings-vari/

Good read. Pretty much what I said about him. Offensive threat, not a shot blocker, 3-4 position tweener. 

He's going to need to learn how to protect the ball and to choose his spots on drives better, but should be a decent slasher and post option right away. 

Not sure about his passing or shooting on this level, because the size and speed of defenders is so much greater that adjustment periods are usually necessary. 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:22 AM, qwelish said:

On 7/25/2022 at 1:22 PM, qwelish said:

I love the akward huge guard/forward. Seems like guys like this kill us in this league. Glad we got our own.

A young kid coming onto a team of very experienced players. The question is, with the current state of NCAA transfer policies how long do players stay if their minutes are limited? This is where a coaching staff earns their pay. Recruiting high character players and developing their skills so they have a reason to remain for multiple years.

On 7/25/2022 at 6:03 PM, quickdraw said:

A young kid coming onto a team of very experienced players. The question is, with the current state of NCAA transfer policies how long do players stay if their minutes are limited? This is where a coaching staff earns their pay. Recruiting high character players and developing their skills so they have a reason to remain for multiple years.

Players can transfer for whatever reason nowadays. I’m always skeptical of a plan that involves 3-4 years of development. UNLV just lost two players that played premium minutes and they still left. I’m not sure returning to the 2000s playbook of roster building is going to lead to wins. Didn’t work under Menzies and won’t work now. 

It’s a different climate now and one that should be a complete advantage for UNLV, yet it isn’t.