Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

Penny Hardaway, Memphis facing multiple NCAA violations

The Wiseman thing was really weird. I don’t remember all the particulars but as I recall he played for awhile, was suspended by the NCAA, and then reinstated when he threatened to sue. Then later on he quit before the season ended. 

Based on what they did, the two teams that got off easy were North Carolina and U of Pay. Add LSU to that list. They should have all been hammered.

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

no, they said he was probably ineligible...like, wtf?

Wiseman went out and got a court injunction but the NCAA feels it's above the law.

then they wanna bring up 1985.

What law? But a pattern of violations can be used to future punishment if the university continues to do it over and over again, NCAA has done that for decades as well.  Kind of like in a court of law where they can use your post discretions in deciding your sentence on a current case. 

4 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

What law? But a pattern of violations can be used to future punishment if the university continues to do it over and over again, NCAA has done that for decades as well.  Kind of like in a court of law where they can use your post discretions in deciding your sentence on a current case. 

you lost me there as the NCAA is nothing like a court of law...the law is at least supposed to be applied equally.

the day they shut down UNC, UCLA, Arizona, or even LSU then they can talk about Memphis.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The Wiseman thing was really weird. I don’t remember all the particulars but as I recall he played for awhile, was suspended by the NCAA, and then reinstated when he threatened to sue. Then later on he quit before the season ended. 

Based on what they did, the two teams that got off easy were North Carolina and U of Pay. Add LSU to that list. They should have all been hammered.

he actually got an injunction...

https://tri-statedefender.com/injunction-gets-wiseman-on-court-for-fridays-win-but-eligibility-battle-with-ncaa-looms/11/09/

mem skyline sig.jpeg

15 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

you lost me there as the NCAA is nothing like a court of law...the law is at least supposed to be applied equally.

the day they shut down UNC, UCLA, Arizona, or even LSU then they can talk about Memphis.

I was responding to your NCAA acting above the law comment

Well LSU got their notice for the next step, I think Arizona got a notice as well for their next step. But also we all know what the NCAA charges to a university very rarely ends up being the final thing as well

But NCAA isn't going to shut anyone down, they learned from the SMU incident and even people within NCAA have said you will never see the death sentence again unless something is so over the top that something has to be done but that would be a high level of things

On 3/27/2022 at 5:04 PM, wolfpack1 said:

But NCAA isn't going to shut anyone down, they learned from the SMU incident and even people within NCAA have said you will never see the death sentence again unless something is so over the top that something has to be done but that would be a high level of things

Oh, you're no fun anymore...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

32 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I was responding to your NCAA acting above the law comment

Well LSU got their notice for the next step, I think Arizona got a notice as well for their next step. But also we all know what the NCAA charges to a university very rarely ends up being the final thing as well

^ why I'm not worried about the NCAA or their citing things from 1985...we all know it's amateurism theater at its best.

if Penn St didn't get shut down no one will.  

mem skyline sig.jpeg

20 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

It would be more fun if you know I got to chose which NCAA program to shut down for a while

poor ole UNLV will never play again...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

^ why I'm not worried about the NCAA or their citing things from 1985...we all know it's amateurism theater at its best.

I wouldn't be worried about any program gets shut down unless they do like a Texas St Amardillo thing and even then who knows but I was just pointing out they could and have used stuff from the past to show a pattern of non compliance over years.

NCAA was never going to shut down Penn St because they knew Penn St would take them to court and win becase there was nothing that violated NCAA rules in that thing, NCAA really pushed the button even putting sanctions down which they later started lifting

On 3/27/2022 at 5:39 PM, UofMTigers said:

Because Penn State committed no NCAA violations.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

NCAA was never going to shut down Penn St because they knew Penn St would take them to court and win becase there was nothing that violated NCAA rules in that thing, NCAA really pushed the button even putting sanctions down which they later started lifting

Yeah as horrid as the Penn St situation was it was really more of a legal matter than an NCAA mater. I get why the NCAA issued sanctions but that could have easily been overturn in court.  

1 minute ago, thedude15 said:

Yeah as horrid as the Penn St situation was it was really more of a legal matter than an NCAA mater. I get why the NCAA issued sanctions but that could have easily been overturn in court.  

That is why I think there was something in the paperwork or something worked out behind the scenes saying we need to do this now but lift them later if you agree don't sue or something because things got real quiet really fast after threats of lawsuits

On 3/26/2022 at 2:30 PM, sprtnfan said:

The NCAA is a joke. The moment they reduced Penn St penalty because it was harming them too much was the moment I lost all remaining respect for them I had. 

If any institution deserved a "Death Penalty", it was Penn State.

They made SMU look amateurish.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 3/26/2022 at 4:43 PM, RSF said:

Thats not what happened.  The NCAA way overstepped their bounds in penalizing them in the 1st place.  Because no matter how horrific the situation was, none of what happened was an NCAA violation.  But they dropped the hammer because it scored them PR points and the public wanted blood (and with good reason). They quietly started rolling them back because they knew they didnt have a leg to stand on.

So, like Baylor, it's okay for a Member Institution to cover up their horrific in-house rapes, for the betterment of the FB program ?

JFC.

Both schools should have received the Death Penalty.

Americans Mayor

22 hours ago, RSF said:

Pattern of violations is what got SMU the death penalty.

Just saying.

For recruiting violations and payola.

However, rape, sexual exploitation, and subsequent coverups are A-okay within the NCAA.

:shrug:

Americans Mayor