Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am Ram

Spring break in NM

My family and I were very excited to finally travel for spring break again this year, so we looked at airfare and hotels in Hawai'i...

Then we looked at airfare and hotels in Florida...

And then we told our kids: We're going to New Mexico!

We'll be in the ABQ and Santa Fe, and we have almost no plans. We'll do Meow Wolf, and of course we'll see Georgia o Keeffe's stomping grounds to look at flower vaginas. (Then we'll answer uncomfortable questions loudly asked in public by our kids.) That's about it for plans so far. What else is good? What/where to eat and drink? What to see? We're traveling with a 9-year-old and a 6-year-old, but my wife and I are pretty good at ignoring their whining, so museums, hikes, etc. are fair game. 

Thanks in advance for your advice, all! I've never been to New Mexico, and I'm super-super excited. 

Chaco Canyon - Chaco Culture National Historical Park is worth the drive. Amazing place if you appreciate that sort of thing.

Tomasita’s in Santa Fe has typical New Mexican food and drink at good prices. Maria’s in SF is also good especially if you’re a tequila connoisseur.

Sandia Peak Tram is the one spot in ABQ not to miss.

7 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Fish the San Juan, so easy a 6 year old could do it.  

It’s a 3 hour drive from abq. Even the guides are having tough days right now. Lakes turned over. It’s true that some days you get 10-15 fish over 18”, the next day you get skunked. I was out there today and it was tough. 

It’s a tough time of year in NM for family vacations. Spring weather and all. Hinkle fun center for the kids, Meow Wolf, Sandia tram as previously mentioned. I guess try out the new Top golf. The aquarium is pretty good for the middle of the desert.

On 3/19/2022 at 10:36 PM, NMpackalum said:

It’s a 3 hour drive from abq. Even the guides are having tough days right now. Lakes turned over. It’s true that some days you get 10-15 fish over 18”, the next day you get skunked. I was out there today and it was tough. 

It’s a tough time of year in NM for family vacations. Spring weather and all. Hinkle fun center for the kids, Meow Wolf, Sandia tram as previously mentioned. I guess try out the new Top golf. The aquarium is pretty good for the middle of the desert.

I’ve got a friend/guide that is absolutely killing it right now.  That said, I refuse to do that kind of “fly fishing” but for a six year old it would be great.  

7 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I’ve got a friend/guide that is absolutely killing it right now.  That said, I refuse to do that kind of “fly fishing” but for a six year old it would be great.  

Yeah, the guide boats line up and row up and down the Texas hole and then drift down to the lower flats and row up and down that too. Fish are concentrated with the low flows so they’re getting hammered. I’d much rather wade on the San Juan, but you’re right, for the casual angler, you have a chance to catch the biggest trout of your life.

5 minutes ago, nmlongbow said:

Almost everyone fly fishes the San Juan sub surface with droppers, weight, strike indicators etc. but I’ve had my best days there on a single dry fly. Not all days are good with a dry though.

Some days are tough on dries but if I see rising fish, I usually switch to dries for sure. You must have better vision than I do because I can’t see the size 24 and 26s so I’ll use a larger midge cluster as an indicator rather than a single.

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Spring break in New Mexico sounds like spring break in Death Valley. 

Probably not like Death Valley but probably more like Boise. Too cold to go swimming and not cold enough to go skiing consistently. Santa Fe is cool for people who haven't been before but the art galleries are meh. Once you've seen one howling coyote, you've seen them all. Pick up a chili ristra for a souvenir.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:33 AM, NMpackalum said:

Probably not like Death Valley but probably more like Boise. Too cold to go swimming and not cold enough to go skiing consistently. Santa Fe is cool for people who haven't been before but the art galleries are meh. Once you've seen one howling coyote, you've seen them all. Pick up a chili ristra for a souvenir.

Only if you want to be sweeping broken chiles all the time for the next 6 months 😉

On 3/21/2022 at 10:33 AM, NMpackalum said:

We've been here a couple days now, and we absolutely love it! The sky alone is worth the trip after looking at grey PNW clouds all winter. We're up in Santa Fe now and woke up to a couple of inches of snow, which makes a beautiful high desert landscape even more gorgeous. ABQ was a bit eerie because it felt so empty (being cold, post-pandemic, spring break and all, I guess), but we had a great time there too. 

Up here in SF, I could just look at adobe stuff all day (if my family let me), but we've done a lot of the touristy stuff already, and it's all been worth it. The next couple of days will be nature time. This is my first time in any of the southwestern states other than CO and CA, and I'm thrilled. It's pretty much exactly how I imagined the American SW to be as a kid (growing up in Europe). Next time, I want to see central NM and the south. You live in a beautiful +++++ing state, New Mexicans!

10 hours ago, I am Ram said:

We've been here a couple days now, and we absolutely love it! The sky alone is worth the trip after looking at grey PNW clouds all winter. We're up in Santa Fe now and woke up to a couple of inches of snow, which makes a beautiful high desert landscape even more gorgeous. ABQ was a bit eerie because it felt so empty (being cold, post-pandemic, spring break and all, I guess), but we had a great time there too. 

Up here in SF, I could just look at adobe stuff all day (if my family let me), but we've done a lot of the touristy stuff already, and it's all been worth it. The next couple of days will be nature time. This is my first time in any of the southwestern states other than CO and CA, and I'm thrilled. It's pretty much exactly how I imagined the American SW to be as a kid (growing up in Europe). Next time, I want to see central NM and the south. You live in a beautiful +++++ing state, New Mexicans!

very cool. I've never been to NM, ever. Sounds like I need to go

11 hours ago, I am Ram said:

I live in the 4 corners area and it's an outdoors persons paradise. The Dallas range outside of Telluride is my favorite in Colorado. Moab is 3 hours away, Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon 3 and a half. Mesa Verde 45 minutes, and all the Utah national Parks reaonably close by. Great fishing, brewpubs galore in Durango.  The best part of it is, compared to the Front Range and the Sierras, it's deserted.