Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B_Lootz

3/15 Utah St. vs Oregon NIT first round

On ESPN at 6pm pacific.

Just googled on Wikipedia and found  that USU hasn’t won in the NIT since 1960 (0-8 since). Coupled with your NCAAT record (one win since 1970)… Does USU have the worst postseason track record in the country??

I hope that you guys win, but taking the above into consideration and the fact that you’ve lost so many close games this season, I’m going to predict a hard fought and close game with the Ducks prevailing.

The NIT invites have mostly come as a result of being snubbed from the NCAA's (like most participants) and the more recent NIT invites have been a situation where the team was not real excited to play. However, this year is completely different. This is a team that was not expecting to play in the post season and it came as a pleasant surprise - so who knows? Does it guarantee the Aggies will win? Probably not. My guess is Oregon is more athletic at every spot on the court but how bad do the Ducks want to play a road game on short notice?

For whatever reason the line just keeps going up on the Aggies side ...now sits at USU -5.0. I don't get it.

On 3/15/2022 at 11:49 AM, TrueAg said:

The NIT invites have mostly come as a result of being snubbed from the NCAA's (like most participants) and the more recent NIT invites have been a situation where the team was not real excited to play. However, this year is completely different. This is a team that was not expecting to play in the post season and it came as a pleasant surprise - so who knows? Does it guarantee the Aggies will win? Probably not. My guess is Oregon is more athletic at every spot on the court but how bad do the Ducks want to play a road game on short notice?

For whatever reason the line just keeps going up on the Aggies side ...now sits at USU -5.0. I don't get it.

The Oregon players are probably pissed that they're relegated  "down" to the NIT.  The Aggies are likely more  honored to be in it.  So it comes down to heart, not so much talent.

28 minutes ago, aztech said:

The Oregon players are probably pissed that they're relegated  "down" to the NIT.  The Aggies are likely more  honored to be in it.  So it comes down to heart, not so much talent.

No doubt they’re pissed about having to travel to Logan rather than hosting in the House that Nike built.

Up 4 at half. I am pleased. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 3/15/2022 at 12:35 PM, B_Lootz said:

On ESPN at 6pm pacific.

Just googled on Wikipedia and found  that USU hasn’t won in the NIT since 1960 (0-8 since). Coupled with your NCAAT record (one win since 1970)… Does USU have the worst postseason track record in the country??

I hope that you guys win, but taking the above into consideration and the fact that you’ve lost so many close games this season, I’m going to predict a hard fought and close game with the Ducks prevailing.

You are spot on. The Aggies’ post-season record is an embarrassment. It’s tough to figure the reason why. It is, however, the cross we as Aggie fans must bear — kinda like being a Cubs fan during their 100 years of futility.

At least Utah State has won an NCAA Tournament game. Some of us are still waiting to know what that feels like.

I think 0-7 alone makes our postseason track record more embarrassing than the Aggies'. The only program in college basketball with a worse record is Eastern Kentucky at 0-8, but they're from a one-bid league getting consistently low seeds and first-round matchups with the likes of Kansas, UNC and Kentucky. We couldn't even beat +++++ing LaSalle. The only reason we're not the all-time biggest March Madness failures is because Nebraska is also 0-7 despite having way more money and resources.

I really, really hope this is the year it all changes.

0mK6pGK.png

USU's last NCAA tourney win was 2001.  Given some of the teams they have had since then, it's stunning.

9 hours ago, utaggies said:

You are spot on. The Aggies’ post-season record is an embarrassment. It’s tough to figure the reason why. It is, however, the cross we as Aggie fans must bear — kinda like being a Cubs fan during their 100 years of futility.

Except that the cubs had to wait over 100 years to even get to the WS, let alone win it all. USU has been to the postseason many times since 1970, especially since Stew, and, aside from 2001, hasn’t been able to win even once. I disagree with Ineptimusprime who said in another thread you need to improve recruiting to win a game in the big dance. I’m sure any team that either doesn’t make it or doesn’t win once there in says the same thing, but there have been plenty of teams far less athletic from smaller conferences that have been able to find a way, and it happens every year. You just had arguably the two best players your program has ever had roll through, at the same time no less, and you still couldn’t win with them when you had the chance.

What’s sad is that last night wasn’t even hard fought and close in the second half.. Aggies just folded like a cheap suit and played one of their worst halves of the season last night.