Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ClevelandBrown

MOUNTAIN F####### WEST

On 3/13/2022 at 7:43 PM, ph90702 said:

I don’t like any of the Mountain West teams.  I think all four lose.

Man, I hate to agree with you but I'm not buying this MWC was tough and amazing rhetoric. I think Leon and Hair (btw, saw them holding hands coming out of suite 14 at Thomas & Mack this past week) have tried to pump that out to the media as much as they can but I think what we had was a lot of parity and mediocrity in the league this year. We had a couple of teams that played super soft OOC schedules and ended up with a high NET rating as a result. We then all beat up on each other and had tons of games decided by 3 points or less which helped maintain all the high NET ratings by providing good offensive and defensive efficiency numbers. I mean, a 15 loss USU team that is only a couple of games over .500 has a NET of 60! That only happens by suffering about 8 last second losses. That NET of 60 is only 10 spots down from NCAA Tourney bound WYO.

I do think the MWC teams are battle tested in close games but I don't think the teams that have been fortunate enough in league play to come out on top more times than not are going to see that success translate in the tourney. The lopsided amount of calls and FT attempts will not occur on that stage now as underdogs. The ability to rely on 1 or 2 players to carry a team to victory won't last long at this level. I give SDSU the best shot to advance because I think they are the best team and they play the type of defense required.

10 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Man, I hate to agree with you but I'm not buying this MWC was tough and amazing rhetoric. I think Leon and Hair (btw, saw them holding hands coming out of suite 14 at Thomas & Mack this past week) have tried to pump that out to the media as much as they can but I think what we had was a lot of parity and mediocrity in the league this year. We had a couple of teams that played super soft OOC schedules and ended up with a high NET rating as a result. We then all beat up on each other and had tons of games decided by 3 points or less which helped maintain all the high NET ratings by providing good offensive and defensive efficiency numbers. I mean, a 15 loss USU team that is only a couple of games over .500 has a NET of 60! That only happens by suffering about 8 last second losses. That NET of 60 is only 10 spots down from NCAA Tourney bound WYO.

I do think the MWC teams are battle tested in close games but I don't think the teams that have been fortunate enough in league play to come out on top more times than not are going to see that success translate in the tourney. The lopsided amount of calls and FT attempts will not occur on that stage now as underdogs. The ability to rely on 1 or 2 players to carry a team to victory won't last long at this level. I give SDSU the best shot to advance because I think they are the best team and they play the type of defense required.

I’m hoping we will get a couple of wins but won’t be surprised if we lose all four games. 

On 3/14/2022 at 7:14 PM, TrueAg said:

The ability to rely on 1 or 2 players to carry a team to victory won't last long at this level.

I would agree USU doesn’t belong any where near the ncaa tournament.  

I completely disagree with the point above though. Conference play is tough on us all because we know each other very well.  The strengths of 1 to 2 players can run rough shod in the ncaa tournament.  It is a completely different beast.   Preparation is sparse.  

1 hour ago, Gonzagafan2021 said:

So many negative nancies man

Gonzaga needs the MWC. You're the number 1 overall seed but we all know the Zags aren't going to win it all, again. I hope I'm wrong, I want you all to win it but playing scrub teams like Pepperdine and BYU just doesn't have you all tough enough. 

18 minutes ago, TopLobo said:

Gonzaga needs the MWC. You're the number 1 overall seed but we all know the Zags aren't going to win it all, again. I hope I'm wrong, I want you all to win it but playing scrub teams like Pepperdine and BYU just doesn't have you all tough enough. 

I'm already expecting the loss later in the tournament. Too much people are scared to move somewhere else. 

On 3/13/2022 at 7:32 PM, TopLobo said:

Also, I find it interesting that Boise is not even ranked. We were ranked consistently throughout Alford's tenure, and beat a whole bunch of ranked teams along the way. If any team is overrated, it's this unranked, mediocre Boise team. We'll find out their meddle in the tournament that actually matters.

Look again. 

4 hours ago, slappy said:

I would agree USU doesn’t belong any where near the ncaa tournament.  

I completely disagree with the point above though. Conference play is tough on us all because we know each other very well.  The strengths of 1 to 2 players can run rough shod in the ncaa tournament.  It is a completely different beast.   Preparation is sparse.  

Did anyone think USU belonged in the NCAA tourney this year? Most USU fans were in a state of shock that we even made the NIT, let alone get to host a game.

It is sort of hilarious that even in our worst year in the last half decade, we still made the NIT. All the while powerhouse UNLV hasn’t even made the CIT since 1998 or whatever. 

I got a little lost in this thread sauce....did we get sorted out if the current BSU team is better or worse than some of the old Lobo teams? Was hoping to gain some peace of mind on this particular issue prior to the tourney starting in about 12 hours.  Any information appreciated.🍿🍿

Small Hetfield_Cowboys.jpg

On 3/14/2022 at 11:52 PM, ineptimusprime said:

It is sort of hilarious that even in our worst year in the last half decade, we still made the NIT. All the while powerhouse UNLV hasn’t even made the CIT since 1998 or whatever. 

Unlv finished 5th this year.  One spot away from the tournament. They have some of the best fans here.  Cool your jets. 

On 3/15/2022 at 7:12 AM, slappy said:

Unlv finished 5th this year.  One spot away from the tournament. They have some of the best fans here.  Cool your jets. 

I didn’t think so earlier in the year, but UNLV will be fine with Kevin Kruger.  He will do better in the portal and get some good HS players.  He really should look to go international, but it’s hard to go against Tommy Lloyd.