Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Latest Lunardi Bracketology

13 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m not sold on any of the MWC teams even winning a game in the Dance this year. Both the Aztecs and USU were better last year than any of the teams this year and they got trounced. 

Well the Nevada team that went to the 16 in 2018 couldn't hold a candle to the team we had in 2019 IMO but in 2019 they didn’t play well the final few weeks of the season and Florida took it to them in the dance. The matchup wasn’t great and Nevada was playing like crap. In fact Nevada’s two highest rated teams (2006 and 2019) both went down in flames. We need some good mojo this year and hopefully a nice tournament for the conference. Like the pac12 last year. 

25 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Well the Nevada team that went to the 16 in 2018 couldn't hold a candle to the team we had in 2019 IMO but in 2019 they didn’t play well the final few weeks of the season and Florida took it to them in the dance. The matchup wasn’t great and Nevada was playing like crap. In fact Nevada’s two highest rated teams (2006 and 2019) both went down in flames. We need some good mojo this year and hopefully a nice tournament for the conference. Like the pac12 last year. 

Like someone else said it depends on the matchups. A team that’s big and good inside will kick CSU and Wyoming’s butts. A team with a good offense and average defense that has some size will take down SDSU. Boise State’s weakness is poor perimeter shooting. Shoot well they win, shoot poor they lose. 

On 3/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, soupslam1 said:

I’m not sold on any of the MWC teams even winning a game in the Dance this year. Both the Aztecs and USU were better last year than any of the teams this year and they got trounced. 

maybe 2 years ago but not last year

On 3/8/2022 at 9:46 PM, NevadaFan said:

I get the argument, but you need to win the first game to play a second. 

11/6 and 10/7 are basically pretty similar teams in the end. You can get an overrated higher seed in those areas pretty easily.

But, point taken. I'm just saying in the second round I'd rather see the 3 or 4 seed.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, soupslam1 said:

I don't think we were any better last year than we are now.  Both teams were/are flawed just in different ways,

I like us this year. It's been a tough, weird year and for the first time in awhile, floor leadership had to come from a transfer but we're starting to play Aztec basketball.  The league overall is MUCH better this year.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Looks like you've already conceded this in a later post, but matchups matter a lot.  There tends to be a lot of parity between most all the teams seeded between 5 and 12.  How any particular team performs in the first round is largely dependent on how they match up with the team across from them.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:36 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

I would think the 2011 and 2013 MWC were much better at the top, not bad in the middle either.  Bottom always gonna bottom, but the top were teams well in the T25 throughout the year.  Big 3, plus CSU, and Boise for 2013.  Absolutely packed gyms, big upsets, good OOC records.  This was a scrappy season, but those two seasons, those teams had absolute dogfights.

2011 was, of course, the best.  SDSU with Kawhi, BYU with Jimmer, New Mexico was very strong, too.

SDSU was ranked in the top 10 most of the year.  After BYU beat SDSU in San Diego, they rose to #3 in the national rankings.  The next day, starting 5 Brandon Davies was suspended from the team. 

In the Dance, BYU beat Wofford, destroyed Gonzaga, and then lost in the Sweet 16 in overtime to Florida (the same team they'd defeated in double overtime in the round of 64 the previous season).

That's still last night's, Kev. Next update will be at 1:00am-ish or about three hours.

On 3/8/2022 at 3:02 PM, soupslam1 said:

An 8 or 9 seed would be the best seed we’ve ever had. We’ve usually been an 11 seed or higher where the odds of winning are not very good. 

the dreaded 8/9 match-up SUUUUUUCKS. I'd rather be a 10 seed.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

37 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Didn't the "first four" games have 11 seeds? When did they change to 12 seeds?

It really just depends on the seedlings of the automatic qualifiers. It will be the last four at large selections wherever they end up in the chart. 

5 minutes ago, jdw said:

Latest now out, Indiana joins the last four, SMU first out.  SDSU up to a 9.

And Michigan?

On 3/9/2022 at 11:11 AM, soupslam1 said:

It's all about matchups.

The Aztecs drew the only team on the planet who can out defense them and the Orange did make a deep run.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor