Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDSUfan

Snapdragon Stadium Progress Video

On 3/10/2022 at 1:01 AM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Especially with the facilities Fresno is playing in these days. Recently watched a bit of a Bulldog baseball game and it looked like the field from the movie, Sand Lot. You all got serious work to do. Better start saving up your aluminum cans. 

Stop making a fool of yourself.

image.png.55d6e5a2d3cdb100a54ee081d2031849.png

On 3/9/2022 at 8:53 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

There will be many more than six events per year. This will be the main stadium for the entire city and county. There is nothing else. That’s why the Chargers and the Aztecs both had to play in Carson. 

Not entirely true.  Petco is the main stadium for non-sports events and will be for a very long time. if for no  other reason than location. They sold 50,000 tickets for Garth Brooks.  It's a great outdoor music venue.  SDSU has done well finding teams and events to host thus far but to think that there's going to be a never ending string of non sports events  is optimistic at best.  There were only 21 major concerts in Qualcomm stadium in its entire existence. There was literally no competition for an outdoor venue for the majority of its functioning life.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

To set the record straight, (since my name got dragged into this thread), I never made the claim that Spartan Stadium no longer had wooden steps. What I (correctly) stated (going on probably three years ago) was that the stadium no longer had any wooden benches. This was after somebody made a crack about fans getting splinters in their asses. I don’t believe any wooden steps remain today. 

Champ Logo.jpg

Sorry if this is repeat question as I did not read through all the posts here, but... will the surface be artificial turf, or real grass? Fingers crossed for real grass! I miss being able to smell a freshly mowed football field during the game.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 3/11/2022 at 3:50 PM, LoboMan59 said:

Sorry if this is repeat question as I did not read through all the posts here, but... will the surface be artificial turf, or real grass? Fingers crossed for real grass! I miss being able to smell a freshly mowed football field during the game.

real grass

18 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Real grass. As you can see from the video they are laying down drainage and irrigation pipes for sod. In SD you do not worry too much about rain in the forecast. 

On 3/11/2022 at 2:57 PM, SDSUfan said:

Not entirely true.  Petco is the main stadium for non-sports events and will be for a very long time. if for no  other reason than location. They sold 50,000 tickets for Garth Brooks.  It's a great outdoor music venue.  SDSU has done well finding teams and events to host thus far but to think that there's going to be a never ending string of non sports events  is optimistic at best.  There were only 21 major concerts in Qualcomm stadium in its entire existence. There was literally no competition for an outdoor venue for the majority of its functioning life.

The main sport I was thinking of was soccer. The Mexican national team usually played at Qualcomm every year and there were a fair amount of well-attended exhibition games when European teams do their preseason tours. There are soccer games fairly regularly at USD now that are hampered by the fact that the stadium there only holds about 7k. Ultimately I think there's a good chance of getting an MLS franchise. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 3/11/2022 at 4:43 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

The main sport I was thinking of was soccer. The Mexican national team usually played at Qualcomm every year and there were a fair amount of well-attended exhibition games when European teams do their preseason tours. There are soccer games fairly regularly at USD now that are hampered by the fact that the stadium there only holds about 7k. Ultimately I think there's a good chance of getting an MLS franchise. 

I hope we land a MLS franchise.  I know the Sacramento deal is pretty much dead. Hopefully a new ownership group views Snapdragon as a suitable place to play until they can get their own venue, which is pretty much a requirement for MLS.

edit: An enticement might be to offer a space for a MLS venue somewhere else on the site.  I could see that working; a sports destination district.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 3/11/2022 at 2:59 PM, Mike Morgan said:

To set the record straight, (since my name got dragged into this thread), I never made the claim that Spartan Stadium no longer had wooden steps. What I (correctly) stated (going on probably three years ago) was that the stadium no longer had any wooden benches. This was after somebody made a crack about fans getting splinters in their asses. I don’t believe any wooden steps remain today. 

Well yeah, no wooden steps remain today because they tore down the entire condemned east side where they were. The west side is concrete. 

On 3/10/2022 at 1:01 AM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Especially with the facilities Fresno is playing in these days. Recently watched a bit of a Bulldog baseball game and it looked like the field from the movie, Sand Lot. You all got serious work to do. Better start saving up your aluminum cans. 

beiden field >>>>> that shithole sjsu plays in

On 3/11/2022 at 4:52 PM, SDSUfan said:

I hope we land a MLS franchise.  I know the Sacramento deal is pretty much dead. Hopefully a new ownership group views Snapdragon as a suitable place to play until they can get their own venue, which is pretty much a requirement for MLS.

edit: An enticement might be to offer a space for a MLS venue somewhere else on the site.  I could see that working; a sports destination district.

Given that the stadium was built to peoperly configure for soccer, and a mirror sized stadium being nowhere close to highest and best use, i don't see much positive for SDSU to do that besides largesse to a private owner group.  

On 3/10/2022 at 5:48 PM, Cincy said:

I walked on those wooden steps. They were rickety to say the least. Another fan’s foot broke through the wood slats under the bleacher. 
Lawsuits waiting to happen. 
I remember @Mike Morgansaying the steps weren’t made of wood when in fact they were. He was trying to cover up the embarrassment that it was to no avail. You’re doing the same. 

Sargon of Akkad Can't Read - YouTube

6 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Given that the stadium was built to peoperly configure for soccer, and a mirror sized stadium being nowhere close to highest and best use, i don't see much positive for SDSU to do that besides largesse to a private owner group.  

Considering that before bailing for greener pastures in San Diego, the NWSL San Diego Wave owner committed to owning both a women's and men's team in Sacramento, it's not too much of a stretch to believe he will pony up the cash to own an MLS team at Snapdragon. We'll see. Doing so would put the stadium above its projected 30+ major events per year - not including US/Mexican women's/mens national team games. 

On 3/11/2022 at 10:32 PM, Maynard Delecto said:

Can pro soccer be played on a field with a football crown?

When the US hosted the World Cup in 1994 every game was played in an American football stadium. I watched the final at the Rose Bowl.

In the early years of MLS many of the teams played in NFL or college stadiums.

Soccer fields need to drain too. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

3 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

When the US hosted the World Cup in 1994 every game was played in an American football stadium. I watched the final at the Rose Bowl.

In the early years of MLS many of the teams played in NFL or college stadiums.

Soccer fields need to drain too. 

Those were indeed the early days and things have really changed drastically. All of the new soccer specific stadiums (Q2, Audi, TQL, Lower.com, Allianz, Banc of CA, Freedom, Centene, Geodis, etc.) all have a very European soccer vibe. It’s a completely different aesthetic than Snapdragon, which screams college football (as it should). I just don’t see that style and shared stadium arrangement fitting in with new MLS. 

On 3/12/2022 at 10:37 AM, Ram1554 said:

Those were indeed the early days and things have really changed drastically. All of the new soccer specific stadiums (Q2, Audi, TQL, Lower.com, Allianz, Banc of CA, Freedom, Centene, Geodis, etc.) all have a very European soccer vibe. It’s a completely different aesthetic than Snapdragon, which screams college football (as it should). I just don’t see that style and shared stadium arrangement fitting in with new MLS. 

The Snap is basically a better version of Galaxy’s stadium without the shading. 

the real issue will be control of revenues and site aesthetics long term. That said MLS on the west coast is different. All the stadiums in the region are on college campus or are next to an airport and only sit 18k(paypal park). If 18k is suitable I could see Snapdragon filling a temp role with team eventually moving to a small MLS style stadium somewhere in the county or perhaps The sports arena site. The SD metro rates too high wrt tv soccer rstings to be ignored forever.