Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDSUfan

Snapdragon Stadium Progress Video

Starting to show its character.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Looks really cool.  I would be stoked if I were an SDSU fan.  This is something to be really proud of. When this was proposed I did not think it would happen, and here we are.

This is 26,604 fans?  #FresnopullingaMiami

Fresno.jpg

2 hours ago, sprtnfan said:

Looks really cool.  I was be stoked if I were an SDSU fan.  This is something to be really proud of. When this was proposed I did not think it would happen, and here we are.

Is it a better option than destroying half your stadium and adding a warehouse where there are supposed to be seats? 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

On 3/7/2022 at 3:56 PM, TheTedfordTrain said:

Is it a better option than destroying half your stadium and adding a warehouse where there are supposed to be seats? 

Well to be fair, they had to demolish that side due to the city condemning it. 

On 3/7/2022 at 5:14 PM, Cincy said:

Well to be fair, they had to demolish that side due to the city condemning it. 

Played in it once in "79" and coached in it once in "04." In both cases I was shocked at how unimpressive it was as far as the locker rooms and field were concerned.

20 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

You are like a repeating record.  I give kudos to SDSU about their stadium and you turn it into a flame.  Get a life.

This is 26,604 fans?  #FresnopullingaMiami

Fresno.jpg

On 3/7/2022 at 3:56 PM, TheTedfordTrain said:

What's taking so long?  Bleachers were demolished three years ago and still only a roped off dirt area today. Taking their sweet time to meet that August 2023 deadline.

image.png.87677ebce4ca85aab29db4bde694b5a6.png

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

What's taking so long?  Bleachers were demolished three years ago and still only a roped off dirt area today. Taking their sweet time to meet that August 2023 deadline.

Well, I heard from a few SJSU professors (about 3 years ago) that the project wasn’t funded, but that the seats had to be demolished because SJSU was notified that it was unsafe to keep them open. I posted the information here, but was met with some very hostile responses from SJSU homers. They didn’t even have real blueprints when they demolished it. Looking more believable that this was truly the case now….

21 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

CSU and State bureaucracies. SDSU stadium is being built on county land and SD county has been supportive of SDSU stadium/land take over.

21 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I second this question - what the hell is taking so long? It looks like SDSU will have an entirely new stadium before we see any progress on those stands/building. Is SJSU doing anything this off-season besides moving dirt around and fixing prior sound system problems?

(Apologies to OP for the continued thread derail) 

17 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

CSU and State bureaucracies. SDSU stadium is being built on county land and SD county has been supportive of SDSU stadium/land take over.

Well technically this is not true. Prior to construction SDSU purchased this land and the new stadium is being built on SDSU (new) West Campus property. Also between private donations, season ticket sales (construction fee built into each season ticket purchased)  and corporate sponsorships, roughly 1/3 of the construction and debt service have already been accounted for. If you are SJSU or Fresno, this is all you have to do to secure bond financing through the CSU system. Stop whining and get it done boys. 

On 3/9/2022 at 1:05 PM, Willie Cee said:

Well technically this is not true. Prior to construction SDSU purchased this land and the new stadium is being built on SDSU (new) West Campus property. Also between private donations, season ticket sales (construction fee built into each season ticket purchased)  and corporate sponsorships, roughly 1/3 of the construction and debt service have already been accounted for. If you are SJSU or Fresno, this is all you have to do to secure bond financing through the CSU system. Stop whining and get it done boys. 

Unfortunately, it isn't the fault of our Spartan posters.  They simply don't have enough supporters like them and are in a difficult place to catch bandwagoners with all the pro and collegiate options there.  They have a worse hill to climb than even SDSU does/had.  

38 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Sorry ass excuses. SJSU hadn’t  raised the money until the state came in and funded a bare minimum structure. Not even enough money to build a few seats on that side of the field. 

On 3/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

SJS is not building a stadium, we're building an enclosed facility that will be regularly used. 

SUDS is building a playground, and we are building a house. The site where that house is going to stand is bare land, so utilities have to be cut in completely before work on the structure can begin.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

4 hours ago, Willie Cee said:

^^^fake news, faker comparisons^^^

1- accounted for and paid for, two very different things. You are still indebted up to your eye balls building a six event per year venue.

2- The same stadium that SUDS is paying 350 million for would cost a bare minimum of 550 million in Santa Clara County, 700 mill being a much more realistic figure. Prevailing wage laws/scales and the price of concrete (both roughly double the costs in SD county) are the principal reasons for the higher costs.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

On 3/9/2022 at 12:48 PM, DoubleBlueGold said:

Formerly city land, which was sold to the university at the direction of the city voters.  I favored the other plan and in some ways, still do BUT I'm man enough to accept the outcome and hope for the best.

So far, I've been proven wrong and glad of it.  SDSU seems to be managing the project with relative aplomb.

They've secured other tenants in the form of the Women's pro soccer team and a pro rugby team.  They've secured the World Lacrosse championship and it looks like will host a few  Olympic soccer matches.  They've secured some big donors and sold naming rights very cleverly, selling the stadium and field as well as the premium spaces separately.  They crossed the 10k season ticket threshold a couple of weeks ago, mostly the biggest ticket seats.  Not great in terms of numbers but there a plenty of folks on the sidelines waiting for clarity on all of this Covid nonsense before they commit.

If there is a dark cloud on the horizon, it's in the form of a glut of office space that is so bad, JMI, one of the principle drivers of this project has in fact completely re-configured their multi-billion dollar downtown project to include almost all housing and retail and very little, if any, office space.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke