Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Car recommendations?

I was in an accident on Friday night, and my car has been totaled. We're getting a relatively decent amount back, but it's not going to pay for a new vehicle.

I'm looking for something that's gas efficient and preferably under $25k. Given the current market, we're probably screwed, but do any of y'all have some recommendations? 

Glad to know you're okay. I currently have a Toyota Prius since I drive nearly 110 miles round trip every day and it's become one of my most reliable vehicles.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On 3/2/2022 at 11:50 AM, bornontheblue said:

You can never go wrong with a Toyota. 

Most reliable car there is. 

Agreed there. I should state that I was driving my wife's vehicle, a GMC Acadia which the kids prefer to drive in. I dropped them off with their grandma an hour away, and then let my navigation app fuck me over on the way home. My car is a Lexus RX350... but I'm honestly probably going to end up giving it up to my wife and I'll just drive whatever we can get. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:47 AM, retrofade said:

I was in an accident on Friday night, and my car has been totaled. We're getting a relatively decent amount back, but it's not going to pay for a new vehicle.

I'm looking for something that's gas efficient and preferably under $25k. Given the current market, we're probably screwed, but do any of y'all have some recommendations? 

My Wife's Camry gets about 30 MPG

They are above 25K  for a new one though. 

On 3/2/2022 at 8:47 AM, retrofade said:

Depends what you want. If fuel-efficient is your goal, fed tax credits move a few new EVs and PHEVs — Nissan Leafs, Prius Primes, KIA Niros — pretty damn close to that threshold.

Subaru Outback-The new ones are badass!! Two engine options including a turbo. Fuel cell is large. They also get pretty good gas mileage. Wife and I are really pleased with ours. Possibly look for a two or three year old lease buy back with low mileage and save some money. Also, do not pay MSRP and ask to see the real invoice price. 

21 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Glad to know you're okay. I currently have a Toyota Prius since I drive nearly 110 miles round trip every day and it's become one of my most reliable vehicles.

Yeah I have a Prius also and it’s been pretty good.  Especially if you commute and need to transport a range of stuff.  Pretty flexible. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:13 AM, AztecAlien said:

Subaru Outback-The new ones are badass!! Two engine options including a turbo. Fuel cell is large. They also get pretty good gas mileage. Wife and I are really pleased with ours.     

hope it came with one of these...

Coexist in a Rainbow - Bumper Sticker / Decal - Peace Resource Project

On 3/2/2022 at 8:47 AM, retrofade said:

I'm in the same boat looking for a car.  Have a 2019 Subaru Impreza hatchback that I am purchasing at the end of it's lease this week.  I had the option to buy it at $14,800.  Bluebook is 19,500-21,500.  Dealership was offering a $16,500 trade-in value but then jacking up the prices on all the new cars anyway.

I'm probably going to sell the Impreza myself for $19k or so, and use the proceeds to put down on something like a Kia Telluride or Hyundai Palisade lease that has more room for a growing family. I still feel like the market is a couple years out for me to go EV (live in Spokane with occasional driving in MT and ID). 

Subaru Outback-The new ones are badass!! Two engine options including a turbo. Fuel cell is large. They also get pretty good gas mileage. Wife and I are really pleased with ours. Possibly look for a two or three year old lease buy back with low mileage and save some money. Also, do not pay MSRP and ask to see the real invoice price. 

I never understood the reasoning for the Outback.  Costs 50% more than the Impreza Hatchback yet seats the same number of people and gets worse gas mileage.  All you get is a few extra cubic feat in the trunk?  What am I missing?

Kia and Hyundai have upped their game significantly the past 10 years or so. You could probably find a late model with fairly low mileage for the price range you've got in mind.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

On 3/2/2022 at 9:18 AM, sactowndog said:

Yeah I have a Prius also and it’s been pretty good.  Especially if you commute and need to transport a range of stuff.  Pretty flexible. 

I agree on that, it's surprisingly roomy and has a fair amount of storage space in the back. 

On 3/2/2022 at 10:26 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

I never understood the reasoning for the Outback.  Costs 50% more than the Impreza Hatchback yet seats the same number of people and gets worse gas mileage.  All you get is a few extra cubic feat in the trunk?  What am I missing?

It used to be a juiced-up version of the Impreza, but it's been its own model for several years now. 2nd biggest model Subaru puts out now.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

Also, do not pay MSRP and ask to see the real invoice price. 

Come up north and try that shit, they'll laugh you out of the door.  It's like buying a home in California these days, you have to go above the sticker price, LMAO.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:13 AM, AztecAlien said:

Everybody is paying MSRP these days. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:26 AM, WYO1016 said:

Kia and Hyundai have upped their game significantly the past 10 years or so. You could probably find a late model with fairly low mileage for the price range you've got in mind.

When I was in Hawaii in January, my rental car was a 2020 Kia Sportage and it was a fun car to drive. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:27 AM, WYO1016 said:

It used to be a juiced-up version of the Impreza, but it's been its own model for several years now. 2nd biggest model Subaru puts out now.

I was considering the Ascent, bigger than the outback and can actually seat 3 kids with booster/carseats.  A little too soccer-mom for me though.