Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

Another Dr. Seuss FAIL

2 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

I'm going to write a children's book about the cotton gin and make all the schools in CA use it.

Go for it. Sounds boring though. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

California never should have been a cotton producer. 

The story about Cotton in California is pretty interesting. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 hours ago, happycamper said:

catholic schools are hardcore

Preach it, brutha...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

14 hours ago, CV147 said:

I'd just question why they'd choose that invention. Yes it was a great one, but there were numerous other great inventions in the history that were far more important than the cotton gin.

I'm wondering if they included it because they wanted slavery explored/discussed?

Agreed.  It is an odd choice for a childrens book

slavery was becoming economically unviable.  Then the cotton gin came along.  A cotton gin is just a tool, neither inherently good or evil.  But it’s impact on history is decidedly negative

7 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Can I get a @youngredbullfan up in diz house? I appreciate the times when we're not going after each other. 

Book is dumb, but let's talk about the larger issue here.

The whole new "CRT" discourse is incredibly, brutally, stupid. A totally fake issue. An amorphous, cavernous, rhetorical black hole with ever-shifting parameters and definitions which make discussing it on any sort of objective plane impossible. I think it's just the latest of many "post-truth" political issues. They are new discourses served up by activists and amplified by social media to activate the rage and pleasure centers of the conservative brain in paradigms they have already come to understand.

Talking to these conservative CRT panic people generally doesn't help. Engaging at all is a losing proposition most of the time. A narrative has already been tailor-made for them about what teachers are (lazy union scumbags), what CRT is (anything which is woke, bad), and, most importantly, who and what their enemies are (intellectuals, intellectualism generally).  It fits so neatly into their worldview that any sort of contestation, especially from someone who is arguing from a logical, intellectual, evidenced-based position merely drives them further into their rabbit hole.

Now, obviously, there is a degree of intentionality in all of this. The whole point of the artificial CRT panic's existence is for conservatives to be able to draw isolated, hyperbolic, intentionally dishonest, and sometimes completely fabricated anecdotes together to create a false consciousness. Conveniently, in their constructed world, radical changes must be made to our education system.

But I hesitate to give the inventors and amplifiers of this that much credit. Really, by making "CRT" an issue they quite accidentally just provided a convenient vehicle in which all kinds of visceral, lizard-brained, reactionary hatred of public education can be subsumed. Its intentionally vague, amorphous nature makes it perfect for this. CRT can be anything from a school library book with sex in it to an LGBT Club existing to a teacher saying the Holocaust was bad.

Come one, come all, slap whatever insane ideas you derived from your suburban paranoia, narcissism, and scrolling Facebook for 10 hours a day on the "CRT" train. Release those endorphins you'd normally get by muttering a racial slur with the window down and instead scream at a school board employee about the woke teacher making your kid an otherkin.

+++++ it man why did you tag me in this thread

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

6 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

. +++++ it man why did you tag me in this thread

LOL, I just thought you'd think that Eli Whitney page was nuts. 

nm

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:05 PM, smltwnrckr said:

I think 8 year olds need to know who Dr. King is because he was the voice of the non-violent arm of the civil rights movement. He actually offers a pretty good entry level position to discuss civil rights - in the past, people were treated different because of their skin color... then there was a movement to try and fix that. A lot of people were angry and scared, and MLK was a leader who said there is a way to do it without hurting each other. It's why I would much rather have a book about Dr. King for 8 year olds than a book about Malcom X or the Black Panthers. Both are relvaent to the civil rights movement too, but kids can learn about those more complicated aspects of civil rights in time. That is just my personal opinion.

I remember a while back, during the last threat about the Seuss books with the racist pictures, @thelawlorfaithful making a good point about a book he read about Hank Aaron as a young person to think about these issues. And I remember that, because when I was a kid I really gravitated toward the Aaron story as one to think about that time and the problems of race at the time. I think that when you're dealing with little kids, the stories that you choose to tell matter more than the way you choose to tell them. Because, unless you're a lunatic, you're going to tell the stories to young kids pretty much the same way. So there is something at stake when we choose which stories to tell young children about the past or present. 

Now that I’ve KO’d the Rona I’m finally getting around to this thread. I’ve read this tag and the OP. Wtf is happening?

Dear 8 year olds. Eli Whitney is a tragic character. He invented something that was ingenious while trying very hard to do good and ended up causing incalculable evil. Beware your good intentions.

I need to work on the rhyme scheme.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:48 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Now that I’ve KO’d the Rona I’m finally getting around to this thread. I’ve read this tag and the OP. Wtf is happening?

Dear 8 year olds. Eli Whitney is a tragic character. He invented something that was ingenious while trying very hard to do good and ended up causing incalculable evil. Beware your good intentions.

I need to work on the rhyme scheme.

That would have been more appropriate than the cotton gin making the process better.