Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

Another Dr. Seuss FAIL

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Caught up on the thread now.

Sorry, I got to side with @smltwnrckr here.  

The biggest impact of the cotton gin is not the reduced labor to produce X, it was that it increased the profitability of growing cotton which increased the demand for land to grow it and slaves to work it.  Within 50 years of the invention, slavery increased over 400%.  States that would likely never have been slave states were incentivised by those outrageous profits to become so.  The conditions of the slaves was made materially worse.  

The implication on the page in question was clear, that the cotton gin made the labor more bearable for those whose toiled in the industry.  

Better to just leave it out, than include what it did in two paragraphs.  

Stop trying to indoctrinate children with your woke propaganda. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I liked your Telsa idea.  Was there ever a man who would have been more suited to be a Suess Character?  Really?!?!  Could do a whole Suess style book on him.  

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

That organisms adapt over time to their environments. 

I mean, you can talk about physics without talking about math, too. But what is the point if you're trying to learn the subject?

It was to me, even growing up in a very conservative Presbyterian church. But luckily the pastor there agreed with Stan from South park, who asked... "Couldn't evolution be the answer to 'How' and not the answer to 'Why?'" when suggesting that evolution and God are not mutually exclusive if you use your brain a little bit.

"That organisms adapt over time to their environments." 

I'm with you on that one.  It's ridiculous they wouldn't let him talk about that.  Even those who totally reject ET, acknowledge adaptations.  

I would have probably made the same choice you did. 

I do kind of sympathize with teachers and schools who are de-emphasizing ET.  They don't want to deal with the backlash from parents.  It's hard to blame them for that. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I liked you Telsa Idea.  Was there ever a man who would have been more suited to be a Suess Character?  Really?!?!  Could do a whole Suess style book on him.  

And it would undermine the pro-Edison bias in schools today. Seriously, +++++ that guy.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Honestly, I don't care all that much what they do or don't teach young kids about evolution.  It's never been a big ticket item for me in regards to early education. 

What I do want to see in early education is more of an emphasis on STEM classes.

What do you consider "early education"? It's certainly a subject which should be taught in depth at the high school level and probably broached in middle school.

And in the case mentioned above, do you have a problem with someone telling even young children that over time animals adapt to their environment?

edit: saw your response above

6 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's not woke, it's just common sense.  Not sure I see the other side of the argument here.  How is it anything other than common sense to not depict black people picking cotton in the pre war south with fun little rhymes meant for 1st grade kids?  Leave the cotton gin out of it, tons of other inventions.  Shoot if you want to include Whitney, talk about he invented mass production with interchangeable musket parts.  

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

For real, without Edison and Morgan we might have free energy today...

13 minutes ago, renoskier said:

sorry, joke over head

my ignorance...had to google "genetic drift"

would Catholics be opposed to teaching GD? Why?

It's a college level concept. Just going with the thread concept that exclusion of context is erasing science 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Kills me the person who wrote "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "A Light in the Attic" also wrote fro Dr. Hook

And, one of Johnny Cash’s big hits, A Boy Named Sue. Shel also wrote an album or so for Bobby Bare, iirc, and  hung out w/Kristofferson.  Some other of his others songs on top of those Playboy cartoons. 
https://theboot.com/country-songs-written-by-shel-silverstein/

Just now, grandjean87 said:

And, one of Johnny Cash’s big hits, A Boy Named Sue. Shel also wrote an album or so for Bobby Bare, iirc, and  hung out w/Kristofferson.  Some other of his others songs on top of those Playboy cartoons. 
https://theboot.com/country-songs-written-by-shel-silverstein/

Dude was a fascinating guy. And some of his kids' poems are... dark. I'm surprised he's not been banned from school libraries, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Idk. If ECA disagrees with you on this one, I'm going to side with him. He tends to be one of the most level headed people on this board.

35 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Idk. If ECA disagrees with you on this one, I'm going to side with him. He tends to be one of the most level headed people on this board.

Everyone has a right to be wrong. In this case, it's not me. 

3 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Fify.

Nah. It's right there in full color for everyone to see. People can judge for themselves. But I'm right on this.