Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

Another Dr. Seuss FAIL

Can I get a @youngredbullfan up in diz house? I appreciate the times when we're not going after each other. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, HR_Poke said:

The one in Cheyenne did.  Not sure about the rest of the state.  But for a while there something like 75 to 80% of all legislators wives were teachers.  So Wyoming teachers were getting large yearly raises....

Oh, that'll do it. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Scope creep? And I'm the one being accused of getting into the weeds here. The Guttenburg page talks about the Bible, and the Morse page talked about connecting the country. The Bell page talks about improving the lives of the hearing impaired. So these are not all strictly dedicated to the mechanics of the machine. 

Also, do you think a single vendor would have cared if they put Howe or Tesla or Ford in there instead of Whitney?

I don't know.  I'm not a publisher.  I don't really see any issues with how it's portrayed in the book now. 

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

You know a whole bunch of the examples of too much "CRT" in schools and too much "woke" education comes out of charter schools, private schools and elite public schools, right. Reading Toni Morrison is hard. If you can read her, you are smart. Sometimes it's a simple as that. 

I wasn't aware it was coming out of charter schools too.  In the very few conversations I've had with parents who moved, or were considering moving their kids to a charter school, that was never mentioned. 

They were moving their kids to CS's for the STEM type of education that apparently some of the charter schools emphasize more so than the public schools.  It wasn't really an anti-woke move, but that may have been factored in. 

I've been saying schools need to move toward more emphasis of the 3 R's long before the woke stuff was a big thing. 

If I were raising kids in today's world, I'd go for charter or private schools.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I wasn't aware it was coming out of charter schools too.  In the very few conversations I've had with parents who moved, or were considering moving their kids to a charter school, that was never mentioned. 

They were moving their kids to CS's for the STEM type of education that apparently some of the charter schools emphasize more so than the public schools.  It wasn't really an anti-woke move, but that may have been factored in. 

I've been saying schools need to move toward more emphasis of the 3 R's long before the woke stuff was a big thing. 

Once when I was a journalist, I interviewed a dude who had a cool business. He basically had a bunch of reptiles and stuff and would go to schools and bring out the snakes and lizards and spiders to teach kids about nature, and about animals and biology. Basically the school version of dudes like the crocodile hunter on Jay Leno.

He had completely different presentations for kids in private schools (the vast majority of them being christian schools) and public schools because the private schools wouldn't let him talk about evolution. So he would just not address why snakes have no legs and lizards have legs. 

I'll send my kid to the school that acknowledges that objective facts are true. 

18 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Some people are switching to home schooling or moving their kids to charter schools.   

Parents of grammar school kids are, in IMO, getting fed up with the social education stuff to the point where they are demanding their kids are taught more of the 3 R's and less cultural stuff.   If the public school systems are ignoring the wishes of parents, this problem will only continue to grow.

I'm glad I didn't have to raise kids during the woke era. 

could you define social education

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

21 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Some people are switching to home schooling or moving their kids to charter schools.   

Parents of grammar school kids are, in IMO, getting fed up with the social education stuff to the point where they are demanding their kids are taught more of the 3 R's and less cultural stuff.   If the public school systems are ignoring the wishes of parents, this problem will only continue to grow.

I'm glad I didn't have to raise kids during the woke era. 

Good point.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Once when I was a journalist, I interviewed a dude who had a cool business. He basically had a bunch of reptiles and stuff and would go to schools and bring out the snakes and lizards and spiders to teach kids about nature, and about animals and biology. Basically the school version of dudes like the crocodile hunter on Jay Leno.

He had completely different presentations for kids in private schools (the vast majority of them being christian schools) and public schools because the private schools wouldn't let him talk about evolution. So he would just not address why snakes have no legs and lizards have legs. 

I'll send my kid to the school that acknowledges that objective facts are true. 

Do you know what was he saying about evolution? 

You can certainly talk about animals without getting into evolution theory. 

It's no surprise a Christian school wouldn't want him teaching about evolution. 

Barack Obama

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'm not an anti-union guy, but it wouldn't bother me a bit if that union went away forever.

I'm anti public sector unions.  Even FDR was opposed to public sector unions.

33 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Please never use that term.

Reading. Writing. Arithmetic.

18 minutes ago, son of a gun said:

Please never use that term.

Reading. Writing. Arithmetic.

So you're saying you prefer it raw

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Most of the books written under the publishing brand that are not by him are, frankly, not very good. He had a way with language and ideas that was generationally unique. I think that him and Shel Silverstine are maybe 2 of the 3 best for young children of the last 100 years. 

Kills me the person who wrote "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "A Light in the Attic" also wrote fro Dr. Hook

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

catholic schools are hardcore

Yeah, at St. Mary's we discussed the cotton gin in 5th grade and the impacts of the agricultural revolution on slavery, we discussed chattel slavery in the Americas, we visited the black historical museum near the Idaho Historical Museum, I remember walking in as a group of Freshman at Boise High were walking out.  In 4th grade we studied Idaho History and talked at length about the atrocities committed against the tribes in Idaho.  

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Would you want to send your child to a school that didn't acknowledge/teach evolutionary theory? 

I'm glad the local Catholic schools, that my two oldest attended, don't hold such ignorant beliefs.

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Would you want to send your child to a school that didn't acknowledge/teach evolutionary theory? 

I'm glad the local Catholic schools, that my two oldest attended, don't hold such ignorant beliefs.

Until they include Genetic Drift, eff them....

That organisms adapt over time to their environments. 

I mean, you can talk about physics without talking about math, too. But what is the point if you're trying to learn the subject?

It was to me, even growing up in a very conservative Presbyterian church. But luckily the pastor there agreed with Stan from South park, who asked... "Couldn't evolution be the answer to 'How' and not the answer to 'Why?'" when suggesting that evolution and God are not mutually exclusive if you use your brain a little bit.

Caught up on the thread now.

Sorry, I got to side with @smltwnrckr here.  

The biggest impact of the cotton gin is not the reduced labor to produce X, it was that it increased the profitability of growing cotton which increased the demand for land to grow it and slaves to work it.  Within 50 years of the invention, slavery increased over 400%.  States that would likely never have been slave states were incentivised by those outrageous profits to become so.  The conditions of the slaves was made materially worse.  

The implication on the page in question was clear, that the cotton gin made the labor more bearable for those whom toiled in the industry.  

Better to just leave it out, than include what it did in two paragraphs.  

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Honestly, I don't care all that much what they do or don't teach young kids about evolution.  It's never been a big ticket item for me in regards to early education. 

What I do want to see in early education is more of an emphasis on STEM classes.

Barack Obama